AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I just recently found out about this product (Edge), and the more I read the more interested I am. I'm thinking the most benefit for me will be the convenience and ease to control my inputs, as I already have what I think is decent SD DVD upscaling (Toshiba XA2 HD and hopefully soon Oppo BDP-83). What I currently don't have right now and the Edge will give back to me is BTB / WTW (blacker than black / whiter than white) running HDMI through my Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR. This is documented that the Yamaha will not pass this. The Edge with its separate HDMI outputs will fix this for me(separate audio HDMI to Yamaha and separate Video/Audio HDMI to my Kuro 6010). I've read quite a bit about BTB / WTW because of the Yamaha issue, some say it doesn't really matter except for calibration discs. Most state there are hardly any movie's out that take advantage of BTB /WTW? Either way I never felt comfortable not transferring/clipping the pure video signal. This is what I would input to the Edge. (6 HDMI and 1 Component)

1-Toshiba XA2 HD - HDMI

2-Oppo BDP-83 Blue Ray (hopefully soon) - HDMI

3-TivO HD - HDMI

4-Comcast HD Box - HDMI

5-Xbox 360 - HDMI

6-Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK (VHS/DVD recorder) - HDMI

7-Wii - Component

Video/Audio Output - Pioneer 6010 Kuro

Audio Output - Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR

So, what I'm thinking, for switching convenience alone the Edge is worth it and any video improvements will be icing on the cake.

What do you think? Recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On the BTB/WTW - there are basically two different ways that video levels can be mangled - they can be clipped (BTB/WTW flattened) or they can be converted to PC levels (BTB/WTW gone). BTB should never be visible, so clipping of BTB does not have any impact on image quality, it just makes it harder to calibrate the video chain when it has been clipped. WTW is a different beast. WTW is visible, and should be there (it is used for peak white). If WTW is gone, you are missing part of the image. It may not be a major issue to you, but I notice it when WTW is clipped. Conversion to PC levels is even worse and can create havoc in any number of ways, particularly when you have a mix of equipment - some sending video levels and some sending PC levels.

The only practical issue that I see with your equipment list is that you have 6 HDMI devices - the EDGE has 6 HDMI inputs, but one of them is on the front of the unit, with the other 5 on the back. So it will not look completely clean because you will have one of your input cables going to the front of the EDGE. If you don't care about that, then you should be fine.

There is one other possible gotcha on the HDMI audio output. If you ever want to see any receiver based setup screens, you will need a way to do that, as the EDGE HDMI audio only output is just that: an output only. I use a HK AVR-745 with my EDGE on the HDMI audio only output, and I use one of the component inputs on the EDGE hooked up the the component monitor output on the AVR so I can adjust the AVR using the on-screen setup.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/15430148

On the BTB/WTW - there are basically two different ways that video levels can be mangled - they can be clipped (BTB/WTW flattened) or they can be converted to PC levels (BTB/WTW gone). BTB should never be visible, so clipping of BTB does not have any impact on image quality, it just makes it harder to calibrate the video chain when it has been clipped. WTW is a different beast. WTW is visible, and should be there (it is used for peak white). If WTW is gone, you are missing part of the image. It may not be a major issue to you, but I notice it when WTW is clipped. Conversion to PC levels is even worse and can create havoc in any number of ways, particularly when you have a mix of equipment - some sending video levels and some sending PC levels.

Thanks for the good explanation, it's pretty much what I thought on BTB but didn't know the details on WTW. This clipping of WTW possibly being noticeable helps me to lean towards the Edge even more.

Quote:

The only practical issue that I see with your equipment list is that you have 6 HDMI devices - the EDGE has 6 HDMI inputs, but one of them is on the front of the unit, with the other 5 on the back. So it will not look completely clean because you will have one of your input cables going to the front of the EDGE. If you don't care about that, then you should be fine.

My equipment is in a large Salamander console so not visible anyway, but thanks, I did understand 1 of the 6 HDMI is in the front.

Quote:

There is one other possible gotcha on the HDMI audio output. If you ever want to see any receiver based setup screens, you will need a way to do that, as the EDGE HDMI audio only output is just that: an output only. I use a HK AVR-745 with my EDGE on the HDMI audio only output, and I use one of the component inputs on the EDGE hooked up the component monitor output on the AVR so I can adjust the AVR using the on-screen setup.

I will/can do the same, thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
6,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 /forum/post/15429819

Hello - I just recently found out about this product (Edge), and the more I read the more interested I am. I'm thinking the most benefit for me will be the convenience and ease to control my inputs, as I already have what I think is decent SD DVD upscaling (Toshiba XA2 HD and hopefully soon Oppo BDP-83). What I currently don't have right now and the Edge will give back to me is BTB / WTW (blacker than black / whiter than white) running HDMI through my Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR. This is documented that the Yamaha will not pass this. The Edge with its separate HDMI outputs will fix this for me(separate audio HDMI to Yamaha and separate Video/Audio HDMI to my Kuro 6010). I've read quite a bit about BTB / WTW because of the Yamaha issue, some say it doesn't really matter except for calibration discs. Most state there are hardly any movie's out that take advantage of BTB /WTW? Either way I never felt comfortable not transferring/clipping the pure video signal. This is what I would input to the Edge. (6 HDMI and 1 Component)

1-Toshiba XA2 HD - HDMI

2-Oppo BDP-83 Blue Ray (hopefully soon) - HDMI

3-TivO HD - HDMI

4-Comcast HD Box - HDMI

5-Xbox 360 - HDMI

6-Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK (VHS/DVD recorder) - HDMI

7-Wii - Component

Video/Audio Output - Pioneer 6010 Kuro

Audio Output - Yamaha RX-V1800 AVR

So, what I'm thinking, for switching convenience alone the Edge is worth it and any video improvements will be icing on the cake.

What do you think? Recommendations?

Thanks!

The Denon DVP-602ci will also fulfill your needs. If it is within your budget, the PQ improvement will very likely be greater as overall the performance is superior and full video noise reduction capability is also included. You get 2 simultaneous video/audio HDMI outputs as well as 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs on the back of the unit. Additionally, each input is separately configurable with per-input output configuration as well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat /forum/post/15430608

The Denon DVP-602ci will also fulfill your needs. If it is within your budget, the PQ improvement will very likely be greater as overall the performance is superior and full video noise reduction capability is also included. You get 2 simultaneous video/audio HDMI outputs as well as 6 HDMI 1.3a inputs on the back of the unit. Additionally, each input is separately configurable with per-input output configuration as well.

Thanks for recommending the Denon DVP-602ci. I took a look, and it would definitely work for my situation, and, I like Denon products. Unfortunately it is a bit pricey at three time the amount of the Edge. But, I will continue to learn more about it and evaluate the differences and features before I discount it because of price.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a DVDO Edge yesterday, now I need a BD player. maybe an Oppo BDP-83, new 09 Panasonic, 09 Pioneer......

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcmann /forum/post/15716545

So Tom;

How is the Edge working out for you. I also am considering it and would appreciate you relating your experiences setting it up and how effective the video processing is?

Thanks,

Jim McMann

San Jose, CA

Jim, I wish I could give more feedback but I'm on a business trip until April. So all I have with me is a Samsung BD-P2500 and Philips SD DVD for inputs, and a 24" Gateway PC monitor with HDMI for display. All I can really say at the moment is it works. I'm looking forward to testing it to its full potential once I get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.