AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there is always so much debate over whether someone should go with the more expensive 720p unit and get the "argubly" better unit or start out with a much cheaper entry level unit. I've seen it go back and forth dozens of times on this site.

Here's my $.02

The 4805 IMO when calibrated correctly from what I've seen (haven't really calibrated mine yet) gives a stunning picture. True, it's not 720 and it's only EDTV, but a downgraded HD signal still looks 10 times better than DVD and is simply stunning.

The AE700, IMO, is slightly better. I find the resolution better, especially if you're going to sit close. I'm a stickler for details and don't like the fact that the SDE can be seen on the 4805 if you sit close enough and YOU LOOK FOR IT. The only thing I didn't like on the Panny was that I didn't think the black level was quite as good as the 4805, but still, I'm nitpicking at this point...

Anyways, why did I go with the 4805? It's my first venture into front-projection. At the price I picked up the 4805, I know that when I do infact upgrade to the next level (which will probably be a true 1080i projector when they will be at today's 720p prices IMO, or maybe a 720p at today's 480 prices, who knows?), it won't bother me that I spent only X on the 4805 vs. 2x on the Panny.

Like most people here, I'm going to want to move up the line in a couple of years to something better. When that comes, I can move the 4805 to dedicated bedroom duty or video game duty or for the kids, etc without breaking a sweat at the price I paid. Would I do the same with the Panny at the pricepoint it sells for? Not so sure.

Anyways, I'm rambling at this point. But in short, while the overall picture of the 4805 IMO wasn't QUITE as good as the 700, the pic of the 700 wasn't twice as good by any stretch unless I was sitting like 1x - 1.5x from the screen.

My brother bought a Mitsu Diamond Vision approx 5 years ago for around $6k. He wants more than anything to get a projector, and can afford to. But he can't see himself replacing the TV that he spent so much money on just quite yet.

I don't think I'd feel that way with the 4805, but am afraid I would with the Panny.

Just one satisfied Front Projection newbie's take, definately not "the definitive"! :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I will add my $.01.

The Panny cost even more if you discount the price of the lamps. Since the value of the lamps are similar, if you compare the raw projector alone, the AE700 is about 2.5-3 times more than the 4805!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed! To me, it was a no brainer.

However, to be clear, I consider the AE700 to be a better overall projector, so I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing the Panny!

Hey, as long as we're all happy with our PJs, it's all good. Just giving my reasoning!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I too compared these projectors in my home. In the ned the lower cost and better black levels of the 4805 made it an easy choice. Had my seating been closer to the screen the Panny may have had a fighting chance at my credit card though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I own the panny ae700 and find it to be very good.. I also saw the 4805 at a friends house using the same screen as i have & find the blacks of the 4805 better. I also find the colors more vivid on the 4805. I like it!

BUT the 4805 has some pixels or sde at close distance which the ae700 doesnt. Smoother overall picture on the panny and more natural colors on the panny.

I would have bought the 4805 but the price in my country for a panny and a 4805 is too close. so i went with the panny.

But if granting it was $1000 vs $2000--would have bought the 4805 at a hearbeat.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Midfiman: I think you made a very good choice deciding on the 4805 as your first projector. The panny 700 is almost 3x the price once you factor the price of the projector alone.

If you were considering an upgrade later on and needed a really good projector especially for dvd viewing, the 4805 fits the bill nicely.

I have owned a sharp 12000 dlp projector in the past and can say that the 4805 for the price is quite an admirable performer.

I had to switch to LCD projectors because of my sensitivity to DLP rainbows and eye strain after extended viewing. :(

How big a screen are you going with or already have? ;)

20'x14' dedicated theater

Panasonic PT-AE700U lcd projector

Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen 1.3 gain

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp

Rotel rb 1080 2 channel amp

Paradigm reference speaker system

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Frank, thanks for the kudos! I'm currently using the default (actually not using) warehouse screen 76" that it came with. But I'm planning on making my own ~ 96" screen from blackout cloth once I get my dedicated room going.

We're in the process of moving right now and working on the new house, so haven't really had a chance to use the projector / home theater system lately.

But in due time, the dedicated room will be up with the new screen and the kickin 4805!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank456
Midfiman: I think you made a very good choice deciding on the 4805 as your first projector. The panny 700 is almost 3x the price once you factor the price of the projector alone.

When and where were you shopping to find the Panny at 3X the price of the 4805? I have done all my price shopping on line and have never seen the Panny for 3X the price as the 4805.

So you are saying that you can get the 4805 for about $600. I want one to!!

Craig

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Agreed Craig, the norm is that you can get an LCD in a higher resolution for around the same green that a DLP of lower resolution can be had. If you do your research you can find the Panny for a very good price, or the Sanyo Z2 or Z3 in my case, never 3X the price of a 4805.

Randy

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack
Agreed Craig, the norm is that you can get an LCD in a higher resolution for around the same green that a DLP of lower resolution can be had. If you do your research you can find the Panny for a very good price, or the Sanyo Z2 or Z3 in my case, never 3X the price of a 4805.

Randy

Don't get me wrong, if the 4805 was all I could afford, then that is what I would have bought, but why not get more for a few bucks more. All it takes is a little shopping around.

Craig

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few bucks more? I would not call (give or take) 2x a few bucks more. Sure, if the panny was $200-$300 more, yeah, I'd jump right on it too.

It has nothing to do with afford, just different rationale. At a time where HD is taking the mainstream, you know the prices are just going to drop and projectors are going to catch on more and more.

I know I'm going to catch the upgrade bug within a couple of years (ditto if I had the panny), so the little amount of money invested in the 4805 will just make it that much easier when the time comes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Cost/picture consideration is why I went with the Optoma H31 first before my Panny. But I would say if you are used to HD quality, get the Panasonic.

When I had my H31 (before I returned it), it hurt when I heard all this talk about upconversion....HD-DVD...Blu-Ray....bla bla.... knowing that my PJ is only EDTV and would not be able to fully take advantage of all this new(er) technologies.

Plus I could see the pixels on the credits after movies, HD wasn't as good as my old regular RPTV - so I thought, I have a larger picture, but a step down in HD picture. WHY should I do this?

So now I have the AE-700! It's an $800 difference, but to me the peace of mind is worth it.

As you know, the "WHAT IF I GOT X INSTEAD" question....is really annoying...

My HT page...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Is there any particular reason why you didn't consider the Z2/Z3 instead of the Panny 700? I believe the Z3 is now significantly cheaper than the 700 and the Z2 is very close to the price of the 4805. I went from the Z1 to the Z3 and find it very hard to believe the increased contrast of the Z3 is really worth the $500 more.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfiman
A few bucks more? I would not call (give or take) 2x a few bucks more. Sure, if the panny was $200-$300 more, yeah, I'd jump right on it too.

It has nothing to do with afford, just different rationale. At a time where HD is taking the mainstream, you know the prices are just going to drop and projectors are going to catch on more and more.

I know I'm going to catch the upgrade bug within a couple of years (ditto if I had the panny), so the little amount of money invested in the 4805 will just make it that much easier when the time comes.
Actually, I was thinking a projector like the Z2 or Z3 or the X3 when I made the post you were refereing to... not the AE-700.

I still want to know here can we get a 4805 for the prices you guys mentioned earlier in the thread.

I was thinking I could re-sell it on e-bay for and make some money. ;)

Craig

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Is there any particular reason why you didn't consider the Z2/Z3 instead of the Panny 700? I believe the Z3 is now significantly cheaper than the 700 and the Z2 is very close to the price of the 4805. I went from the Z1 to the Z3 and find it very hard to believe the increased contrast of the Z3 is really worth the $500 more.
The AE-700 has an incredible throw.

My PJ is going to be 21 feet away from my screen.

Craig

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank456
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000
When and where were you shopping to find the Panny at 3X the price of the 4805? I have done all my price shopping on line and have never seen the Panny for 3X the price as the 4805.

So you are saying that you can get the 4805 for about $600. I want one to!!

Craig
Suffolf, I think frank is saying the AE700 is 3x more if you "factor in just the price of the projector alone" (ie. discount the bulb, since they have similar value):

$AE700 - $bulb = approx 1500

$IF4805 - $bulb = approx 500

1500/500 = 3x (I would say it is in the range of 2.5x - 3x, depending on street price)

This may or may not be a fair comparison, but it is another perspective at value.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's a strange perspective on value of course because you're not going to buy sans bulb. It sounds more like a rationalization technique for someone who has already made a purchase. A more accurate analysis might be to take initial cost + two additional bulbs that you may go through over the life of your ownership. Of course, that makes the gap between the two smaller.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGoop
Suffolf, I think frank is saying the AE700 is 3x more if you "factor in just the price of the projector alone" (ie. discount the bulb, since they have similar value):

$AE700 - $bulb = approx 1500

$IF4805 - $bulb = approx 500

1500/500 = 3x (I would say it is in the range of 2.5x - 3x, depending on street price)

This may or may not be a fair comparison, but it is another perspective at value.
:rolleyes: That is digging pretty deep isn't it? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
It sounds more like a rationalization technique for someone who has already made a purchase.
I'll say...

Craig

·
Registered
79 Posts
The reason I went with the Panny...instead of the Z3 aor any other PJ is because of its uber flexibility in placement.

The Panasonic is just incredibly easy to position in your environment. Need to put it in the back? it has a long throw. Shelf height not quite right? Move the lens assembly (lens shift)!

Low point of the AE700 - I have a slight vertical banding issue.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.