AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always happy to see a new megachanger released, since they're so few and far between, and have been looking forward to the 985V, primarily for it's massive 400-disc capacity. And though it does have some nice features beyond that (SACDs and a few others), there are some serious downsides that folks might not be immediately aware of. Perhaps none of these factors is of any concern to you, but if they are you'll want to note that the 985V has dropped several features that were present on the 875P.

1) no Flip-disc, so no double-sided disc play. No biggie for some people, but a deal-breaker for me. 600 sides in an 875P is better for my own burned DVD-Rs than 400 sides in the 985V. (Probably a result of changing the mechanism for greater capacity, and the $100 lower MSRP price point.)

2) no s-link control.

3) no 9 Bookmarks remembered for each of 300 discs (no bookmarks at all). [They had to drop 2 button functions from the remote, replaced by SACD functions. There are also new Instant Replay and Instant Search buttons, whose functions I'm not familiar with.]

4) behemoth size. An inch and a quarter taller, and a full 5 inches! deeper. Perhaps not too surprising, since they had to increase the carousel diameter to get another 100 discs in, but when you add cable depth to the 21.5" depth of the unit, that's way too deep for my setup.

5) no Easy Play, with 300+1, strictly 400. I don't know if this means anything at all (perhaps they have some other scheme to achieve the same end), but they dropped the Easy Play buttons and the +1 slot.

6) quite a few front panel buttons (behind the doors) were eliminated, making the remote mandatory for those functions. Not a huge deal, but annoying.

7) others I'm not aware of yet.

The bottom line here is they have dropped quite a few capabilities from the 875P roster, so no assumptions should be made about its capabilities in any other area. Like if it still has fully customizable video settings for each disc? Just a word to the wise.

Also, some features newly advertised for the 985V were apparently already present on the 875P, such as the ability to play + media (DVD+R and DVD+RW), according to a dual 875P owner writing on dvdrhelp.com.

In spite of all this, I'm still very happy to see the new changer hit the streets. Why? Because it has resulted in the first significant price drops on the older 875P I've seen since the unit was introduced. Unfortunately, AFAIK they won't be continuing to offer both models, so if you need/want the unique features on the 875P you should act before they're history.

I just need to decide if I should pick up an extra 875P, in case one of mine ever becomes nonfunctional.

- Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tim, thanks for the heads up. The no flip disc is really bad news. I was looking forward to getting one of these but really want that ability.

Big question: How about the auto-play? Do you know if it still has the annoying trait of always loading and playing a disc?

The size change is probably a killer for some too. If the auto-play is still the same I may have to go after an 875.

If someone else knows on the auto-play please speak up.

Bill

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anyone know how the new DVP-CX777ES compares to the 875/985 feature wise? OneCall web site shows it in stock.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How is the pq on the 875P? With all the discussion lately about the Denon 1600 and the Panasonics. I really don't want to sacrifice pq for 300 discs.

Thanks, Wade

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All,

So are the DVP-CX985V & DVP-CX777ES actually on sale now in the US?

Has anyone seen any reviews posted anywhere?

Are the physical dimensions of the two players the same?

Best Regards,

KBDVD.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KBDVD

So are the DVP-CX985V & DVP-CX777ES actually on sale now in the US?

According to their web site, OneCall has the 777ES in stock. They list the 985V as "coming soon".

·
Registered
119 Posts
Crutchfield has the 985V on sale now for $399.

Does anyone know how the 875P and the 985V compare to the Denon 1600 as far as PQ?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can't comment on the Denon specifically but the 875 has decent PQ. It is not as good as my old RP56 or 82 but good. The difference in PQ is mostly attributable to better deinterlacing in the Panny's and not the MPEG decoder. I use an external scaler now so don't worry that much about the player's deinterlacing capability.

I'm not buying the 985 either. I am going to get another 875 for cheap.;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmr21
Anyone know how the new DVP-CX777ES compares to the 875/985 feature wise? OneCall web site shows it in stock.
I don't know about the flip capability but I do know that the 777ES has Control-S and RS232 control ports and mulit-disc resume. Also, the 777's video and audio DAC's have twice the bandwidth of the 985. They dimensionally identical.

The 777 has more "bells and whistles" than the 985.

I have heard that s-link and serial control are going to be reserved for the ES line from now on. If you use a DVD changer with a slink-e now is a good time to buy another 875p since it may be the last "budget" changer that Sony releases with serial or s-link control capability.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WCunha
How big is your screen? My display is a 53" Pioneer SD-533HD5.

Thanks, Wade
55" ISF calibrated Samsung HCL552W.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm really torn about the new Sony. I currently have a Pioneer DV-F727 and was looking forward to the 400 disc capacity and SACD playback. I thought it would be a good upgrade. I can definitely live without the disc-flip feature (it's only two discs in my collection) but the lack of control-s is disappointing. I don't think I want to make the leap up to the 777ES at $800 because I'd rather put that money towards building a HTPC with online storage of movies ripped to the hard disk. I may just keep waiting to upgrade until I'm forced to do so by running out of slots. I currently have about 250 discs.

·
Registered
809 Posts
ducasse, Are you talking about the 985 or 777? 400 disc capacity and SACD playback is the big difference between the 875 and 985.

Other than that it appears the 985 is a step down from the 875, however, I haven't evaluated the PQ of the 985 yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue
I I use an external scaler now so don't worry that much about the player's deinterlacing capability.
How much would I have to spend to get an external scaler to bring the PQ up to par with the Pannys and the Denon 1600?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have an HTPC with an H3D-II but unless you already have an HTPC it can be pretty expensive. Even if you already own an HTPC it can be expensive, the H3D-II alone is around $900.

For a stand alone solution DVDO makes good low cost deinterlacers. The iScan Pro costs around $400 and, I hear, does a good job. I've never seen the output of one so I can't comment on how much better it will look compared to the Sony's deinterlacer.

A full blown scaler can be pretty expensive, >$1000

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Sony DVP-CX777ES from onecall, for better or for worse!

I am looking to replace my 2 year old Pioneer F727 (which is starting to give me trouble with the loading mechanism) with something that can also do SACD.

My CD performance is already excellent, since I use the digital link and utilize the upsampling and excellent DACs on my Lexicon-12B. For example, I have the Eagles music-only DVD, and played through the Lexicon DAC's it is incredibly more detailed thany any CD I have ever played. So I have high hopes for SACD, and I am figuring (and keeping my fingers crossed) that the SACD performance will be good to excellent, considering after all it is Sony, and it is their ES product line.

I thought about getting the excellent Denon 2900, but there is realistically so little DVD-audio's out their right now, and quite frankly, I go through several CD's every evening, so the prospect of having a slew of CD and SACD's lying around would grow old real quick (I have no room beneath my Plasma for a manual carousel). So the Sony megachanger wins by default!

My System:

Lexicon MC-12B

Simaudio Moon Titan

B&W Nautilus 804 Fronts

B&W Nautilus HTM1 Center

B&W Nautilus SCM1 Sides and Rear

Kimber 1130 balanced interconnects

Kimber 3038 loudspeaker cables front & center

P.S. I have auditioned a lot of AMP's and preamps, and I highly recommend this combination!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHT
I thought about getting the excellent Denon 2900, but there is realistically so little DVD-audio's out their right now, and quite frankly, I go through several CD's every evening, so the prospect of having a slew of CD and SACD's lying around would grow old real quick (I have no room beneath my Plasma for a manual carousel). So the Sony megachanger wins by default!
be sure you know what you are getting into with cds in a sony dvd changer. i have an older model, and it is horrible for cds. the indexing features suck, the random play isn't random, and it is a general pita for cds. i got a sony cd changer, and it is 10x better.

dunno if their new dvd megachangers have these problems, but just something to consider.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just received my DVP-CX985V. It looks nice and it has a FIVE YEAR parts and labor warranty! Is this typical for these changers? That's a very generous warranty.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also--I noticed this on the Crutchfield-site: "Warranty Note: Some units come incorrectly packed with a Sony ES warranty sheet, which offers a 5-year parts and labor warranty. Per Sony, this unit has a 1-year parts and labor warranty."

I got the Sony ES 4-243-341-01 '5 Year Warranty' with my unit...and assumed it applied. Anyone know? Seems odd they would 'mistakenly' seal it in the bag with the manual...

I'm still looking--but I'm sure I read about two-sided 'flip' play with the 985, either in the manual or on a site-description somewhere (not to say it was accurate--I can't find reference to such now in the manual with a casual perusal--so maybe that feature 'dropped'). And I haven't a flipper handy to test with on playback...

As for 'behemoth size', the 'feet' are 11 1/2" front-to-rear, and the overall depth of 21 1/2" _includes_ space for cable-insert's (there's a 2-3" motor-housing at left-rear [with no cabling-in on it] that can snug right back to wall/enclosure--leaving plenty of free-space for cables attached to right-rear of unit). IOW, the 21 1/2" depth is 'actual'.

It does have an 'auto-play' issue, like described for the 875...

PQ is outstanding, however--seems a tad better than my previous CP-72 Panny (at least on my 42" NEC-plasma), and I've not had time yet to try the varied 'enhanced' viewing-modes [not even time to tweak it and properly check settings/features].

There is no means for 400+1/EasyPlay--it looks like one would have to throw a rental into a vacant-slot, then select it for viewing, then eject (I'd rather have a Kenwood-style extra-drawer, but it sure isn't worth the extra-$ to me...).

I'm fairly pleased with the 985 so far--I was 'way sick' of clutter/storage-issues, and the PQ surprised me. Unfortunately, the Sony's don't seem to read titles from dvd-r movie-only copies into Explorer...but no biggie.

If the 875's now drop in price (and if the 985 indeed doesn't deal with 'flippers'), I think I'll pick one up--in anticipation of a drop for 2-sided dvd-r media pricing, as well.

If one has both an 875/985--do the remotes conflict/match? If so, can one get around that with the selector 3-way in the remote(s), and/or differing learned-codes on a Universal remote like my Pronto? [My Onkyo-receiver switches two component-in's...]

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.