Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1: It will not accept 1080p input.

I want to use an outboard scaler & HTPC so I want a display that accepts 1080p native input (on both RGB and DVI would be nice)

#2: It uses a UHP bulb rather than Xenon like the old JVC DiLAs use. I know UHP is cheaper and lasts longer, but the Xenon bulbs produce more realistic colors - particularly warm reds.

I hope that next generation from Toshiba, or the Sony SXRD address these concerns.

The actual cabinet size, and appearance of the 57HLX82 was very nice to me, so the above two points are a big disappointment.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Neither of these things are news.

I am almost certain neither will change on this fall's models either. I suppose there is some chance the set will take 1080p -- however small. But there is almost no chance they will change the lamp technology.

Mark

·
Registered
3,877 Posts

Originally posted by PVR

#1: It will not accept 1080p input.

I want to use an outboard scaler & HTPC so I want a display that accepts 1080p native input (on both RGB and DVI would be nice)

#2: It uses a UHP bulb rather than Xenon like the old JVC DiLAs use. I know UHP is cheaper and lasts longer, but the Xenon bulbs produce more realistic colors - particularly warm reds.

PVR-

Hmmm...interesting point about the Xenon bulb and warmer reds. I saw the Tosh 57HLX82 last week for the first time. Nice set...but my ONE complaint about it was the "reds". I was watching an HDNet program of some High School Basketball All-Star game being played in the Chicago Bulls (______) ? arena, and the Bulls foul line/lane is that classic red-red. The Tosh was showing a sort of magenta-ish (purple-red) color, while all the sets around it were...well...Chicago Bulls red-red. OK, chalk it up to the set not being "tweaked", but everything ELSE looked to be "tweaked" just fine. Sooo, maybe you are onto something.

Other than that, I thought it was a little sharper than all other sets I have viewed, had perfectly acceptable "blacks", and a great fill rate. I could see NO scan lines outside about two feet. Nice anti-glare screen. But as for value? I'm not ready to pay $8000. for something "about" 10% sharper and blacker than my Sony 50 inch "GW II" .

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think most reports on the Tosh LCoS is that its color mapping is almost right on, despite the UHP bulb. I know that my reds looks extremely good, and are definitely not magenta. Perhaps there is some "warmness" missing, but since I haven't seen it, it doesn't make me sad :).

All in all, an outstanding picture on all sources: HD, DVD, and SD over DirecTV.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have to agree with BTDT, the reds on my Toshiba are outstanding. There is no hint of magenta. I always worry about making decisions about the quality of screen images from how they look in the store. Too often a customer is handed a remote and the sales guy walks away for a while. It is all too easy for someone to play with the settings and "tweak" the display good or bad.

What Wolernole may have seen was after someone had played with the tint control. What was the color temperature setting? Warm is supposed to be the most color accurate.

On my own set, I am continually amazed at the accuracy of the color image, regardless of video source. It by far exceeds the accuracy of the Samsung HLM617W I had prior to my LCOS set.

I'm also curious how Wolvernole came up with a numeric estimate of the increase in sharpness from the LCOS set. I think you really need to have the LCOS and the GWII next to each other showing the same scene to really estimate this. Comparing by memory is a notoriously tricky thing to do. Additionally, even though what is being view is supposedly HD (HBOHD for example), doesn't necessarily mean the original source material was up to HD quality. I see a huge variation in the sharpness quality on the HD channels.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think PVR is the first person I've seen who actually likes the size/appearance of the 57hlx82.

It's much bigger than any other 57" out there, as far as I know. I'm not absolutely sure I could even get it in the elevator in apartment building.

And even if I could, I wouldn't have room to put my front speakers next to the screen--they'd have to go on top.

As I see it, the real question is whether the side pillars are just decorative, or are really a necessary part of the structure--people keep commenting on the huge weight of the front glass. It could be that the pillars are needed to support it.

But if they're not, I'd suggest to Toshiba that they get rid of them in Tosh-The Next Generation.

Rich

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Golly. I actually like the form factor of the 57HLX82 myself. It is not at all large in my extremely huge great room :D.

I will admit that the Tosh LCoS is definitely going in a different direction from the current wave and tabletop DLP and LCD sets. I would expect Toshiba to move more in this direction in the future. Luckily for my tastes, they didn't do that on this first model....

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
BTDT, unfortunately we don't have Texas-sized great rooms in NYC. Well, maybe Mayor Bloomberg does, but we normal people, the ones living in normal apartments, have to make do with less. What I have is a 12'X21' room that has to serve as a living room, dining room and TV room (even I wouldn't call it an HT). (On the plus side, my little living/dining/TV room is 1/2 block from Central Park, midway between the Metropolitan and Guggenheim art museums:) .)

There is a small possibility that someday we will be able to buy the studio apartment next door and combine it, but for the forseeable future, that's it.

So I have to make compromises, and squeeze in the best TV I can. Before they announced the actual size of the Tosh, I was assuming it would be about the same size as their previous best 57". Even then, I was going back and forth with my contractor, looking for every possible inch, just to try to have my TV, speakers and components coexist on the same wall as the entryway. We ended up extending the wall about 10", narrowing the entryway. That gave me enough room for NHT M5s, but not M6s. For them I'd need at least another 1.25 inches, I think it was.

But all that was blown out of the water when Bhench got his Tosh and took actual measurements for me. Fortunately the cabinet maker hadn't started work yet.

The only way I could work it would be to put the speakers on top--a compromise I'd be willing to make to get such a superior TV. (Of course, I could get M6s that way.)

But I'd really rather have my speakers at next to the screen, so (for an overlapping but different set of reasons) I'm with PVR: I'm not buying the 57hlx82. I'm hoping that Toshiba will put the LCoS technology into a more normal-sized box for the Next Generation (along with 1080p input, though that's secondary). Otherwise, I wonder what Sony will come up with, with SXRD ;).

Rich

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Rich,

Yes, it does appear that most people don't have the room for a set this size, which may be the big reason for the rise of flat panel and tabletop monitors.

Have you looked at the latest batch of DLP sets? The picture is not as good as the Tosh LCoS, but very good otherwise. Plasmas are of course wonderful. Maybe a 60" plasma on a raised stand would allow you to position the speakers of your choice?

Good luck on selecting the perfect set for your setting! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.