Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[edit]

Just to make it clear, I'm not saying the Hitachi is the greatest TV made, I'm just saying it seems like the best choice for me.

[/edit]

Well, I began my search with the following being considered....I wanted to let those interested know why I made the choice to go with Hitachi. However I still am deciding between the UWX and SWX 51 or 57" models.

Samsung HLM437W

- Cost vs. screen size was a high ratio...plus I cannot find this model in a store anywhere. The rainbow effect concerned me very much as I often sit on the couch with a laptop while watching TV and look down and back up at the TV.

Panasonic PT45LC12

- Just didn't like the picture on this one, seemed cartoon-like. Plus my wife thought the appearance didn't look good (she doesn't like modern). Price vs. screen size is still too high a ratio.

Sony Grand WEGA II 50" KF50XBR800

- Just flat out of my budget. I REALLY want this TV, but considering it retails for $4K and it's so hard to get anywhere, I don't see getting a price any better than about $3.5K at the very best...and I don't see that coming down much anytime soon. I'm only 23 and celebrating my 1 year anniversary this Sunday, and just don't feel I need to add the pressure of another G to payoff. Anyways, cost screwed this one for me.

Toshiba 50HDX82

- Can't find this anywhere in a store first off. The badly reviewed, un-tweakable color decoder really scared me off. I started my search thinking this was definitely the model for me. Maybe if I could see it in action, I would change my mind. The price point is great! But based on reviews and opinions on the forums, I just can't pull the trigger. Stretch modes are the only thing I will envy I think.

That brings me to....

Hitachi 51SWX20B (or maybe the 57" UWX)

- The only bad thing I can say about this set is the stretch modes kind of suck. I have some doubts about reliablility, but I will be getting the extended warranty on pretty much anything I buy.

I hope all that helps some of you wavering. My plans are to keep this set for roughly 4-5 years until DLP-projection is a bit more advanced and cost-effective, or possibly even a plasma will be in our range. I also plan to get an ISF calibration if I'm not happy with the tweaks I make.

Just to recap, I plan to use this TV for 40% digital cable (maybe HD Satellite in the near future), 30% with DVD's, and 30% with HD Xbox and S-video PS2.

I will be making this purchase at the local Circuit City, where I've purchased well over $10K in the past 5 years and love to give my business to. I absolutely love their service and ability to negotiage price. What pushed me over the edge on this is a "10% back in the form of a gift card" coupon I received from their credit card company, and that's in addition to their $100 GC in store! So I'll have over $325 to get other stuff too! Any recommendations? :D

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fpulliam
...So I'll have over $325 to get other stuff too! Any recommendations? :D

Frank

Gainesville, FL

Perhaps 1/2 of an HD satellite box (I think you only have one or two to choose from at CC)? Or all of a very nice DVD player?

I doubt they'll sell you half of one, though and even more doubtful it would work too well if they did :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey RichUF,

Have you found the Toshiba HDX or the Sony GW's on display anywhere in the Orlando area?

Thanks,

Frank

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think you are doing yourself a disfavor .. find a HDX82 and look at it before you spend this $$ .. The color decoder is _NOT_ "horrid" nor has the set gotten bad reviews in this forum ? Not sure what you are refering to. The tosh HDX series generaly gets glowing reviews in every category .. best stretch mode .. black blacks, good picture quality good color .. i would really look at the set before shelling out $500 more for a hitachi with horrid stretch modes ..

Do you watch any SDTV ? If so your not going to like the Hitachi .. its more for those who 100% use that set for HDTV, playstation, DVD ... it sucks for SDTV

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can not speak to the Toshiba, good or bad. I can tell you that I have a Hitachi 65XWX and one of the things that most impresses me is how good the SD cable feeds actually look. Your SD experience will be largely dictated by the quality of the incoming feed. My bro-in-law lives in NJ and I was horrified at how bad SD looked on his Toshiba RP which is no more than 50". I then realized that the picture looked like crap on all of his sets regardless of make, model, or type. Garbage in = garbage out.

Look at the sets and form your own opinion. You can get a lot of good info from this forum but it can often drive you nuts and is almost always based in opinion more than fact. BTW, Consumer Report ranks Hitachi at the top in terms of reliability so who do you believe?

The only thing I might add is that if you REALLY want the GWII than it is probable that you will not be satisfied with an alternate purchase. If it is what you really want and you can swing the cost or can find a discount then go for it. Likewise, I do agree that in 5 years the majority of sets will lilely be plasma.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Hey RichUF,

Have you found the Toshiba HDX or the Sony GW's on display anywhere in the Orlando area?

Thanks,

Frank

I noticed that Sound Advice (on Sand Lake) was carrying the old GW's back in the summer and were waiting for the new GWII's to arrive.

I don't know about that Toshiba.

Rich

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riekl
...Do you watch any SDTV ? If so your not going to like the Hitachi .. its more for those who 100% use that set for HDTV, playstation, DVD ... it sucks for SDTV

Please, by all means, check out the Toshiba and everything else available. But, whatever you do, realize that the above is a blatent opinion (like most everything else). If you want another one, SD on my Hitachi does NOT suck. It aint great either, but it doesn't suck. Whatever "suck" means.

;)

and here's another...anyone who uses any RPTV for 100% playstation or any other gaming is an idiot.

JMO, of course :D

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amphicar770
...I have a Hitachi 65XWX and one of the things that most impresses me is how good the SD cable feeds actually look...

...and yet another.

Just go look at them for yourself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUF
Please, by all means, check out the Toshiba and everything else available. But, whatever you do, realize that the above is a blatent opinion (like most everything else). If you want another one, SD on my Hitachi does NOT suck. It aint great either, but it doesn't suck. Whatever "suck" means.

I think it's safe to say my Dirty Devil sucks! :cool:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by riekl
I think you are doing yourself a disfavor .. find a HDX82 and look at it before you spend this $$ .. The color decoder is _NOT_ "horrid" nor has the set gotten bad reviews in this forum ? Not sure what you are refering to. The tosh HDX series generaly gets glowing reviews in every category .. best stretch mode .. black blacks, good picture quality good color .. i would really look at the set before shelling out $500 more for a hitachi with horrid stretch modes ..

Do you watch any SDTV ? If so your not going to like the Hitachi .. its more for those who 100% use that set for HDTV, playstation, DVD ... it sucks for SDTV

Thanks for the input riekl. I would LOVE to actually find an HDX to look at, but nobody here in north\\central FL seems to carry them. :(

To name a few bad reviews\\opinions....

The CNET review
One thread...
Another thread....

And overall, it just seems the "general" opinion of most people is that the Hitachi is the overall better set, at least in this forum. That may be due to bias and it may not....but I just CANNOT buy a TV site unseen, and really don't want to buy it online.

However, I'll take your advice and do some more calling around to see if anyone has an HDX on display.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
I have some doubts about reliability(Hitachi)
I was curious about this statement. Why do you have doubts about the reliability of the Hitachi models? From everything that I have heard they are extremely reliable. Infact, as a previous poster stated they were ranked number one in this category by Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by yojimbo75
I was curious about this statement. Why do you have doubts about the reliability of the Hitachi models? From everything that I have heard they are extremely reliable. Infact, as a previous poster stated they were ranked number one in this category by Consumer Reports.

Sorry, I should've explained that a bit better. It's really my opinion that most all RPTV's have quality problems. I know and have talked to several RPTV owners that have had at least something go wrong. The ratio seems very high in comparison with direct view set owners.

Myself having owned several direct view in the past, I've found them to be EXTREMELY reliable, and I was quite surprised when I heard about all the RPTV problems on these forums. But it's something I'm willing to live with, granted I'll be getting an extended warranty, assuming it seems cost-effective.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Not to say it would affect your decision in any way, but since you did consider a lot of options, I'm curious why you didn't look at a Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
...The ratio [of quality problems] seems very high in comparison with direct view set owners...

This *may* be the closest thing to a fact in this entire thread!

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cheezmo
Not to say it would affect your decision in any way, but since you did consider a lot of options, I'm curious why you didn't look at a Mitsubishi.
Good question....

In my viewing on the showroom floors, I thought the similarly priced Mitsubishi's just didn't have quite the PQ of the Hitachi. I did like it's reliablility record\

eputation. But I felt I had to step up to the Diamond series to get the PQ of the Hitachi (which in my opinion the Diamond's were a bit better).

On top of that, I didn't care for the inputs (I don't think DVI is available either). 1 HD input and 1 480i\\480p input isn't really what I wanted.

Honestly, at that price range, I'd probably do an Elite.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSt
Nice to see another Hitachi owner. Did you look at the TWX?

John
Actually no, I haven't seen the TWX in action. My local Circuit City doesn't have them on dislpay :(

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUF
This *may* be the closest thing to a fact in this entire thread!

:)

Other than my Dirt Devil sucking.... :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Myself having owned several direct view in the past, I've found them to be EXTREMELY reliable, and I was quite surprised when I heard about all the RPTV problems on these forums. But it's something I'm willing to live with, granted I'll be getting an extended warranty, assuming it seems cost-effective.
Direct Views are definitely nice in terms of reliability, and the higher likelihood of problems with RPTVs is definitely one of their biggest drawbacks, but I think that overall RPTVs are reliable(some brands seem to be better than others). Still, it is hard not to love them. They may be a high maintenance mate, but its love that sees you through.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.