AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please convince me why I should build a curved screen for my CRT PJ instead of a flat one? (approx 90" wide, 16:9)

Is it really worth the it?

I would like to hear from members that have switched from flat to curved using a CRT PJ.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
You will get a lot more apparent brightness if the screen is built properly. Do you want more effective light output from your projector? Do you want to leave at least some light on in the room sometimes and still be able to see the picture?

If yes to any of these, it might well be worth it. If not, your flat screen will do just fine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rogo

I intend to use micro perf super screen material from Harkness Hall and was thinking the curve would help to compensate for the reduced screen area.

I always watch movies in total darkness.

When you say 'built properly', exactly what are you referring to?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I mean that the curve has to be done with reasonably correct geometry in order to give you the gain enhancing results you are looking for. At least a couple of DIYers here have done curved screens, you might try a Super Slow search and see what that yields.

Mark

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm supposed to be getting a 108" wide curved high gain Stewart soon. From everything I've read about curved screens, the curve in and of itself is not what makes the screen brighter. The curve simply helps to minimize the problems that occur when using a high-gain screen material with a CRT projector (hot spotting, color shift, etc.) So using a curved screen with a low gain screen material wouldn't help you much. Those that have done DIY curved screens have all used high-gain materials, from what I remember.

So unless that harkness hall material is around a gain of 3 (2.5 would probably work, but the micro-perf cuts down light reflected back) I don't see as how you would gain (no pun intended) anything by using a curved screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.