AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why the 1080st is always more expensive than the 1070? It always runs about 50-75 dollars more. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Short-throw projectors use more specialized optics - the lens system is very different between the two. This is also the reason that the W1080ST lacks the W1070's vertical lens shift. (Side-note: it doesn't explain why they run different branches of firmware, though - since they're otherwise pretty-much the same!)

Likewise, the short-throw market is much smaller and more niche (standard ceiling-mounted installations are generally above/behind the viewer); so you you're also paying a bit of a premium for belonging to a less mass-market crowd.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I would get it if it wasn't rated at only 2000 lumens. 

Brb 200" diagonal picture from 11' away??? Is my wall even big enough???

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I'm thinking with a two hundred foot diagonal, it may not be.

I use the W1070 with a 161" (that's inches) diagonal screen in lower power mode and it is plenty bright enough in a less than ideal room. I would think the W1070/W1080ST could potentially handle a 200 inch screen.

But, you might need to spend a bit more to cover 200 feet.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1523805/why-is-benq-1080st-more-pricey-than-the-1070#post_24517642

I'm thinking with a two hundred foot diagonal, it may not be.

I use the W1070 with a 161" (that's inches) diagonal screen in lower power mode and it is plenty bright enough in a less than ideal room. I would think the W1070/W1080ST could potentially handle a 200 inch screen.

But, you might need to spend a bit more to cover 200 feet.

Ooops I meant 200 yards not feet. 

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony  /t/1523805/why-is-benq-1080st-more-pricey-than-the-1070#post_24522098

-Brb criticizes America for being dumb. 

-Needs their system to be as simple as possible. 

If you're so much smarter than us, why do you need to use a more simple system? Does that make us smarter for being able to comprehend such a "challenging/confusing" system?

What about when working with/subdividing simple math in inches vs mm?

10/2 = 5

12/2 = 6

5/2 = 2.5 (oops)

6/3 = 3

2.5/2 = 1.25 (wow two decimal places already, and only divided in half three deep)

3/2 = 1.5

1.25/2 = .625 (had to pull a calc out already)

1.5/2 = .75

10/3 = 3.33333333 (embarassing)

12/3 = 4

10/4 = 2.5

12/4 = 3

Almost all basic/common sub divisions are whole numbers when you use 12 and 16. A child could learn this. The foot is based on the human foot (relatable), Metric is based on the size of the Earth? (why? we don't usually work with global scales when cutting some pieces of wood in half in our garage to make that simple shelf.)

Did you know you lose accuracy with mm at every 1000 meters? yeah you lose a mm. lollll. Also Fahrenheit has way more degrees and is also more accurate. Im not a scientist, Im not working with boiling and freezing water every day. Just want to know the most accurate temp.

How is it a criticism that all countries copied France, who is right there in the heart of Europe and didn't copy US? Well you guys shouldn't have copied France in the 18th century! You're trolling the US!!!

The Month/day pyramid is clever but unfortunately we don't see time as a pyramid. We see it as relative to our perception of time. Year should definitely be last. But just like you conversationally want to put in context October 12th vs the more loaded The 12th day of October, you think of time first in the large categorized chunk of the month, then the day. The day is the same every month (1-28/31) but first you need to know what month that day is in because that is the functional multiplier/categorizer of the information you need. Its how the mind works with time frames most relatable to human perception of time relative to our day to day reality.

Don't worry though, Apple and Google have built you guys smart phones where you can just speak a conversion and it will convert it for you on the spot. Real simple for ya. Its not that hard to have both in existence. 

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I guess since the discussion has turned a bit...

I would have to say that the Imperial measurement systems are stupid and are forced for no good reason. Yes, the divisions are nice, but really, a base-10 system makes much more sense and was well thought out after the Imperial system had been in place for quite a while.

I was raised on feet and pounds, so I wouldn't like to change, but if my kids were raised speaking in meters and kilos, I would actually encourage that. It certainly seems to be our nations own unwillingness to change that is the sole reason for the Imperial measurements system to be around at all.

On the other hand:

"I can't drive 88.5139!" - Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Loll  /t/1523805/why-is-benq-1080st-more-pricey-than-the-1070#post_24522362

-Brb criticizes America for being dumb. 

-Needs their system to be as simple as possible. 

If you're so much smarter than us, why do you need to use a more simple system? Does that make us smarter for being able to comprehend such a "challenging/confusing" system?

What about when working with/subdividing simple math in inches vs mm?

Almost all basic/common sub divisions are whole numbers when you use 12 and 16. A child could learn this. The foot is based on the human foot (relatable), Metric is based on the size of the Earth? (why? we don't usually work with global scales when cutting some pieces of wood in half in our garage to make that simple shelf.)

Did you know you lose accuracy with mm at every 1000 meters? yeah you lose a mm. lollll. Also Fahrenheit has way more degrees and is also more accurate. Im not a scientist, Im not working with boiling and freezing water every day. Just want to know the most accurate temp.

How is it a criticism that all countries copied France, who is right there in the heart of Europe and didn't copy US? Well you guys shouldn't have copied France in the 18th century! You're trolling the US!!!

The Month/day pyramid is clever but unfortunately we don't see time as a pyramid. We see it as relative to our perception of time. Year should definitely be last. But just like you conversationally want to put in context October 12th vs the more loaded The 12th day of October, you think of time first in the large categorized chunk of the month, then the day. The day is the same every month (1-28/31) but first you need to know what month that day is in because that is the functional multiplier/categorizer of the information you need. Its how the mind works with time frames most relatable to human perception of time relative to our day to day reality.

Don't worry though, Apple and Google have built you guys smart phones where you can just speak a conversion and it will convert it for you on the spot. Real simple for ya. Its not that hard to have both in existence. 
10/9 = 0.9

12/9 = 1.33333333333333333333333333three33333 EMBARRASSING?

Uhm sorry, but your logic is flawed. If your case would always make sense, it would be fine, but it clearly isn't, nor can it ever be. (thats how math works)

Also, its totally fine to represent numbers in fractions instead of relying on (inaccurate) decimal places:

10cm / 3 = 3 1/3 cm

or switch to two units:

10cm / 3 = 3cm 1/3mm

Of course, that goes both ways ^^

I dont get your mm lost at every 1km. Why? If youre rounding, its to be expected. its as if youre leaving out the inches on road signs?

next explain to me how a child learns converting yards to miles.

Foot size varies. doesnt make sense to use this as a scientific scale. oh wait, they dont xD

also, the declaration of what a mile, inch, yard and so on is, is also pretty random, but someone somehow must have defined it. just like meter?

Fahrenheit and Celcius are infinite. There is no "more degrees". if you refer to the 180° and 100° between freezing and boiling point: yep its true, your scale is bigger. so bigger is better... anyway, there are decimal places, so your point is invalid. most new and cheap thermometers also show 1 to 2 decimal places, so thats also plenty of accuracy and these are so inaccurate that, if you line up three of them, you get three different temps >_>

Copied != adopted

Trolling? No need, youre trolling yourselves for years by not adopting...

As for the date: There is a difference in using dates in a sentence (2nd of March vs. March the 2nd) and displaying it as a date (02.03.2014 vs 03/02/2014). While the sentence part is fine and has a nice flow and ring to it (might be just us getting used to it?), displaying it like that as a short date makes no sense whatsoever!

You left me with the explanation as to why you still need the month first. does not compute.

P.S. Though personally, I prefer 2014-03-02 20:15 over 20:15 02.03.2014. :D

btw, 20:15 is 8:15 pm...

·
Registered
26 Posts

Well we "tried" to convert in the 70s but that didn't work out. It would be super expensive in the more complex sectors of industry. 

I work in a CNC machine shop and bolt manufacturing factory and everything including basic tools and bolts/nuts can always be either/or depending on the brand of the machines and what we are working with. 

I know both types of systems well and I honestly never have any difficulty. To me they are just options of measurement in different ways. I honestly never saw the two systems as a problem or a big deal. Everything can be converted. There are situations where one is superior to the other and vice versa so I see it as a case by case basis. I think in the US we are more accustomed to seeing both, but in places outside the US its customary to only see metric so when you run into imperial its extra annoying and more rare. 

A real handyman can easily use both in any situation. To me they are just a vast palate of various options to work with. Luckily there are only 2 types of each and not more than that. Its just a big family of standardized measurement options to me. I don't see them as right or wrong. Just a part of history.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You are a dying breed though, in Europe anyway.

Metric has become the standard over here and Imperial is just not taught now. I am 48 now but I remember when I was still at School and had a part time job as a Machine Tool Apprentice, I was taught Metric at school and Imperial and metric in my part time job. The School curriculum refused to have anything to do with Imperial even when I explained that Engineering still worked in Thousanths on an inch. But like you I learned both and can readily switch from one to the other with ease and I agree with you, its well worth knowing both measuring systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts