AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both threads about CBHD were locked down rather quickly it seems.

I guess I can understand not wanting to re-ignite flame wars, but is it verboten to discuss CBHD here on these boards? Or should a thread be started in the HD DVD section?

I am intrested in the hardware and titles.

Hopefully somoeone who owns one of these players can open up the player, take pictures, and provide details on the format. Any PC Drives in China? How does the PQ comapare using the Chinese National codec compared to other codecs?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Because CBHD is closer to DVD upconversion in PQ/AQ and should be discussed in the DVD section.

Remember VCD ?

Most global consumers have moved forward with blu-ray as the standard and do not need to lower our standard of HiDef.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/16943347

Both threads about CBHD were locked down rather quickly it seems.

I guess I can understand not wanting to re-ignite flame wars, but is it verboten to discuss CBHD here on these boards?

No, there has been several threads on CBHD that managed to stay open ( here , here , here , and here ). As for the two threads that were recently closed I think the first thread was closed because of format war posts while the second thread used a blog article that contained a lot of format war comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/16943347

Or should a thread be started in the HD DVD section?

Most of the threads have been made in the HD DVD sections though PooperScooper has stated that CBHD discussion was to be in this section of the forum .

·
Registered
642 Posts
Here are a couple of reviews for those who are interested. Even though they are in Chinese, you can still see specs and pictures.

TCL THBD-1008 review

Shinco CBHD-9100 review

Both are based Toshiba's HD DVD design and support most HD DVD codecs and CBHD specific codecs. Shinco player can also play a variety of video formats off its USB input. Players sell for ~¥2500 (US$366), including 15 movies (5 Warner's and 10 Chinese). Individual movies sell for ¥55, ~US$8.

It's hard to judge PQ based on screen shots, I suspect the format should be capable of similar PQ as HD DVD/BD since the hardware is just HD DVD and similar codecs used.

Another interesting bit from another article of the same site, yearly flat panel TV sales in China is about 15 million sets, this really gives you a sense of how big Chinese domestic market could be for Hi Def.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The CBHD players are just like Toshiba HD DVD players. But they use proprietary Chinese audio codecs. And since they don't want to pay licensing fees, forget about lossless audio like TrueHD and DTS HDMA. Which is part of the HD experience, right? At least for me it is.

I have no interest in watching Chinese movies without English subtitles, and the few WB titles on the format are already released here in the US (but also UK, etc.) on bluray.

The reason these threads keep getting closed is because of the bickering with bitter holdouts that have hoped onto the technology as some saving grace. Anything but bluray for them. The eternal hope that their HD DVD players will become useful for new content again.

Even if it means importing a Chinese player and Chinese movies that may or may not have English subtitles. The lengths some people will go to to avoid bluray is astounding.

Until CBHD is available on US store shelves like Best Buy and Walmart and my receiver can decode their proprietary audio formats, what difference does it make? 90% of the reason anyone here cares anyway is because it is based on HD DVD and the eternal optimists somehow think there will be some revival or magic FW update that will make the world right for them again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I submitted a recent post in one now locked thread that linked to three articles on CBHD. Had I known that merely linking to an article that had flame war comments attached to it was forbidden, I would have removed the offending link.

The most important article was the original Japanese news report.

My intention was simply to provide information on an emerging hi-def media format, and hopefully receive more information from AVS members in the know.

This thread has already given me more than I gleaned from the article.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The only country were this 'Chinese-gov't' sanctioned standard will have any impact is China. So unless we have a high percentage of Chinese users here, don't expect to get much useful information or first hand reports from users.

Like the other member said, some here just can't get over the fact that HD DVD lost. Now they are pinning their hopes to HD DVD like format which was designed not to be compatible with HD DVD for a reason. The FW update they so desperately want will never come.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Maybe a China-specific HD subforum can be opened where people from China can discuss this type of stuff?

Does the board software support languages other than English? Mandarin might be more suited for this new sub-forum if it were to be added.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/16948505

The only country were this 'Chinese-gov't' sanctioned standard will have any impact is China. So unless we have a high percentage of Chinese users here, don't expect to get much useful information or first hand reports from users.

In one of the recent articles that I read, representatives from the companies producing the CBHD players indicated that they would be aggressively marketing the technology in Hong Kong and surrounding Asian countries.

I propose that any discussion be in the existing HDTV Software Media category.

I'm personally a technology nut, and would be very interested in the tech aspects of this format even though I doubt that these players will ever be seen in the US.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does either player playback m2ts files over a network with mpeg2/vc1/avc video?

At close to 400 bucks I think there are better choices for streamers though.

Anyone know if they have a universal power supply inside which will work with US electrical outlets or english menu options?

Personally, I enjoy both my BD's and HD-DVD's equally.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/16944692

No, there has been several threads on CBHD that managed to stay open ( here , here , here , and here ). As for the two threads that were recently closed I think the first thread was closed because of format war posts while the second thread used a blog article that contained a lot of format war comments.

Most of the threads have been made in the HD DVD sections though PooperScooper has stated that CBHD discussion was to be in this section of the forum .

Richard thanks for the links. For those wanting to discuss this topic, please use an existing thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.