AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has puzzled me for awhile. As I've upgraded from DVD versions of movies to HDDVDs a few years ago and blurays now, I notice that all of these movies, on my 5.1 system, sound WORSE on bluray/HDDVD than on DVD:

LOTR: Fellowship of the Rings
Tomorrow Never Dies
Sleepy Hollow
V for Vendetta
Gladiator
Any Given Sunday
Hannibal
Contact

The list goes on ... point being, I've yet to find a movie that sounds BETTER on bluray/HDDVD. :confused:

I use a Denon AVR-3802 5.1 receiver (with DD and DTS) with an optical audio cable for bluray and coax audio cable for HDDVD. To my knowledge, all audio settings are correct.

So my questions are:

• Is it common for bluray/HDDVD to sound worse than DVD?
  • Is there a setting on my HDDVD and bluray players that I've had wrong all these years? If so, what would that setting be?
  • Do I have to upgrade to a newer receiver with more sound fields like DTS HD or Dolby TrueHD to get better sound?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Technically DVD is not as good as blu-ray nor HDDVD, but If by better you mean the LFE is louder and more robust, then it is because a high-pass filter sometimes is be applied to some blu-ray titles. I have noticed this too, most notably on LOTR.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
That's what makes it weird, they should be identical. The "old" 5.1 is supposed to be embedded in the HD version on the bluray.

I haven't ever compared like this, it's interesting.
Yes, the base DD or DTS 5.1 core can be handled by optical/digital connectors, but if you want the higher resolution soundtracks like DTS MA or TrueHD then you need HDMI. That's all I was referring to. Whether there's a difference in playback of the core vs the dvd soundtrack I've never bothered an A/B comparison....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Technically DVD is not as good as blu-ray nor HDDVD, but If by better you mean the LFE is louder and more robust, then it is because a high-pass filter sometimes is be applied to some blu-ray titles. I have noticed this too, most notably on LOTR.
That's probably a better description: more robust LFE. I hate the fact that I lose LFE -- noticeably (even my GF notices it, and she never notices anything HT-related) -- on the bluray/HD versions. That almost defeats the purpose of upgrading from DVD.

Yes, the base DD or DTS 5.1 core can be handled by optical/digital connectors, but if you want the higher resolution soundtracks like DTS MA or TrueHD then you need HDMI. That's all I was referring to. Whether there's a difference in playback of the core vs the dvd soundtrack I've never bothered an A/B comparison....
:eek:I didn't know this, so thanks for mentioning it. I've never felt a need to retire my Denon AVR-3802, but this might be reason enough to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.