AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are the writable side of DVD Blank Media Blue and factory DVDs are silver?

Why are they different?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting, does anyone know of any articles on this. This has caught my interest. Why would they be different? I am curious to find out how commericial DVDs are recorded and what makes them different? Wouldn't the final outcome have to be the same in order for players to play the discs?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots1 /forum/post/0

That's interesting, does anyone know of any articles on this. This has caught my interest. Why would they be different? I am curious to find out how commericial DVDs are recorded and what makes them different? Wouldn't the final outcome have to be the same in order for players to play the discs?
Here's an article with the best info. I've found to date on the production sequence of commercial (pressed) DVDs.

You can skip the prelim. text on DVD formats etc. by searching for "glass master" using the Find menu (Ctrl+F).

·
Registered
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots1 /forum/post/0

Why are the writable side of DVD Blank Media Blue and factory DVDs are silver?

goots1:

Not to make matters worse, but have you ever looked at the bottom of a Ritek brand recordable DVD? They're Purple.

It's all in the dye that's used.

suplex

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the great links. I have some interesting reading to do...!

Thansk Again!

·
Registered
5,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex /forum/post/0

goots1:

Not to make matters worse, but have you ever looked at the bottom of a Ritek brand recordable DVD? They're Purple.

It's all in the dye that's used.

suplex

All the Ritek, ProDisc, and Memorex I've bought (in the past 4 years) have all been purple.

Single layer pressed DVD's are silver and dual layer are goldish.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy /forum/post/0

DVD-RAM are (is?) "goldish" too.

Are they are goldish because Panasonic's profit margins are leaking onto the surface? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.