AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im most likely going to head off and buy a Panny 42" TH42PZ80U set tomorow, but have a question about gaming and burn in. Why is it bad to play games on a plasma set before the 100 hour break in period is up?

Is it just due to the static images that the huds in some games have? Or are there other reasons?

For example, id really like to break in the set playing Far Cry 2 and Mirror's Edge on the 360. Both games dont have a hud and a toggleable on/off reticle. The screen is clear of all static images except in certain spots where the hud may pop up for 30 seconds at most. Would these games be considered ok to play on the tv for 2 hour or more stretches of gameplay? Or is there something else besides static images that I should be aware of which is caused by games?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It's mainly the static images from HUD's, reticles, etc. It's not really an issue any more with today's plasmas. I wouldn't recommend playing the same game constantly with the same HUD and reticle for the first 100 hours, but playing your games while the TV is breaking in will be fine. Just make sure to vary your content with other types of viewing as well.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
the first couple hundred hours is when the phosphors go through the most dramatic changes and you may see a little IR but it shouldn't be a problem. many people do not break them in and usually with todays plamsa displays that is no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as far as break in, all I need to be concerned about is not playing games with static images/watching channels that have static images on them, and not jacking up the brightness on the set during the first 100 hours? Is this correct?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Maybe 6-7 years ago it would've been considered bad. I have a 4+ year old Panasonic, a 2+ year old LG and another Panny that just passed the year mark and all have seen their fair share of everything including 360/PS3 gaming. I wouldn't let a kid loose with a fresh out the box plasma but...with a little common sense you can have a great looking gaming experience with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I've been gaming on my Sammy plasma since day 1 and no problems at all. Like already mentioned above, use a little common sense and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseFound /forum/post/15502844

So as far as break in, all I need to be concerned about is not playing games with static images/watching channels that have static images on them, and not jacking up the brightness on the set during the first 100 hours? Is this correct?

Even with static images in games..it would be very rare to have any permanent burn-in on a modern plasma. If the set is fresh then I would limit your gaming sessions to an hour or less and then just switch to fullscreen tv programming for a while between sessions. You will have some temporary IR for various things for the first couple months but don't freak out about it....after you get a year on the set you may not ever see it again.

·
Registered
535 Posts
no issues gaming here...

You just need to be careful for the first 100 hours or so....then it's smooth sailing.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 /forum/post/15503346

I've been gaming on my Sammy plasma since day 1 and no problems at all. Like already mentioned above, use a little common sense and you'll be fine.

Same here.

I have been gaming like a madman on my Pioneer kuro since the day I got it.

But I did run the break-in disk when I was not using the TV to help the first 200 hours go by faster and to break the panel in more uniformally.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just bought the same set, man you're gonna love what you see on this set. I have tried some ps3 on it but for only 20 min to see how everything looks and boy I couldn't be happier with it. I plan to hook up my 360 on it after the break in period since i do more of my gaming on it. the ps3 more for blueray.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I initially bought my plasma TV for the sole purpose of playing games on it. Granted, since I've discovered how good HD content looks I haven't been able to go back to SD (without feeling a little ill anyway). I have been using my set for gaming since the first day I got it.

From experience, the only time I had long term image retention was when I played Fallout 3 for several hours. I did several things wrong as I didn't know much about plasma sets at the time. First I had the TV's 'Game' setting enabled which sets the contrast to about 90 and brightness to 50. Second, I did not have orbiter enabled. And finally, I set the in game HUD color to sold white rather than the standard green (didn't like the default neon green). All this, on a TV that wasn't even a day old (out of the box). Basically, I did everything that you can do wrong with a plasma and the image retention still went away. Mind you it took two days of running the break in DVD, but it wasn't permanent.

A suggestion I can give that I haven't seen in this thread is to enable the orbiter (or whatever anti-Image Retention mechanism Panasonic has) right when you get the TV. It will slightly shift the image around every once in a while so that the same pixels aren't always displaying the same color. It may already be enabled, however, it was disabled by default on my set.

Oh, by the way, games look surprisingly better on my plasma TV than they do on my LCD monitor. I was not expecting the difference to be so dramatic.

Good luck and Good gaming

1 - 13 of 13 Posts