AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I mean 'perfect', I mean one that is not compromised by either quality, cost-effectiveness, technology, and ease of use?

Since I've been searching for a new receiver, I've found issues with nearly all makes such as Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onyko etc.

Perhaps the manufacturers don't make one intentionally so that peple come back year after year to upgrade...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My opinion is that the modern AVR is too complex.

HDMI is the worst offender. Posts about HDMI issues are very common here. Something which should "just work", doesn't. I blame HDMI and probably also HDCP for not making a more robust system. And they announced HMDI 1.4, which does not appear as if it will improve HDMI reliability issues.

Heat has been a problem with some models. For example, on my Yamaha RX-V2700, heat would occasionally cause HDMI video to fail.

Trying to get all needed functionality on the remote control has been a problem. And GUIs are not always well laid out.

Yamaha has been sacrificing power output for features since the Yamaha RX-V659 in their budget/mid line.

I would say my Yamaha RX-V3900 is 95% great. A poor network music interface, and an HDMI issue which resets my Tivo's output resolution is what knocks down the score.

I wonder if it will take a successor to HDMI which is robust and works everywhere is going to be needed before people are happier with their receivers. The question is, can someone make a digital video/audio pipeline that adheres to copyright needs, supports needed features and is easy enough to implement that no one F's it up? I have my doubts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Receivers are imperfect because manufacturers have to compromise sound and video quality to hit a price point. I have a Rotel receiver and it's not "perfect" but it sounds better than my old Yamaha.

One problem with our hobby is that "perfection" is at least one upgrade away!

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Primary reason issue is software complexity...

All being driven by new technologies and newly defined protocols such as HDMI and HD audio/video streams. Remember the issues with windows (before XP) and the 5 years it took for USB to really be Plug-and-Play..

Additionally when you have major brands of HDMI source and sync products such as from Samsung, LG, Apple, Direct-TV, Motorola and Scientific Atlanta that have not completed the required HDCP compliance testing with HDMI repeaters..

HDMI & HDCP compatibility problems will arise..

The HDMI source and/or sync (display) may work fine when directly connected but do not work well with HDMI repeaters. Another moving target is that the firmware within the source products are constantly changing making it very, very difficult for the AVR brands (w/HDMI repeaters) to keep up.

For example, the Sony PS3 has had over a dozen different firmwares..

Just my $0.015...

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Animator /forum/post/16999991

One problem with our hobby is that "perfection" is at least one upgrade away!

Yep. Even if we had the "perfect" receiver now.. it's only gonna be "perfect" at that point in time

Besides, what's perfect for one person is not necessarily the "perfect" one for the other...IMO

·
Registered
29,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/17000124

My Marantz SR7001 still seems perfect for me. Not sure what to say on the subject.

I'm not sure any products in any area are perfect, not just AVR's.

Some would say your Marantz is not perfect because it doesn't decode DTS-MA or TrueHD. It may not matter to you depending on your BD player.

I do know that model has had some firmware updates for other problems in the past. But I believe those issues have been resolved.

The 7001 was high on my list of receivers to buy, especially at the AC4less pricing. But I found a Denon 989 last week for just a little more and bought that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My issue is that I'm looking for a quality THX certified receiver with 2 HDMI outs, a phono input, with all the scaling and upconversion that we're spoiled by these days, and that's easy to set up/use. It must also be a maximum of 7.25in high to fit in my rack and be priced reasonably...say around $1500

There's not one receiver on the market that fits my requirements (which I don't think are unreasonable or off the mark)...

I was set on a Pioneer Elite until I checked its dimensions.

I the then thought...Ok...i'll go with the Denon. Buy even the 4310ci is not THX certified ..and it costs around $1900!

So, I guess i'll have to make my own !...

·
Registered
29,116 Posts
If you have height concerns, do you have proper cooling in this rack?

What about the Marantz 7002 or 8002? Oh, nevermind they took away the phono input.

What about the Onkyo 876? 4 HDMI in, 2 out. phono input. Reon video processeing, etc. It might be too tall, but once again if it must fit in a certain space, how much room do you have for cooling?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Maybe a change to a different rack?

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/16999804

Perhaps the manufacturers don't make one intentionally so that peple come back year after year to upgrade...

That reason and also the fact that the ownership of some of them are the same people. Like Marantz and Denon both belong to D&M Holdings. So for example you cannot find Audyssey working in TrueHD in Marantz SR-500x/600x Receivers but it works on Denon AVR-1910! Also you can find pre-outs on Marantz but it is not available on Denon 1910!!

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/17001930

My issue is that I'm looking for a quality THX certified receiver with 2 HDMI outs, a phono input, with all the scaling and upconversion that we're spoiled by these days, and that's easy to set up/use. It must also be a maximum of 7.25in high to fit in my rack and be priced reasonably...say around $1500

There's not one receiver on the market that fits my requirements (which I don't think are unreasonable or off the mark)...

I was set on a Pioneer Elite until I checked its dimensions.

I the then thought...Ok...i'll go with the Denon. Buy even the 4310ci is not THX certified ..and it costs around $1900!

So, I guess i'll have to make my own !...

Why are you so hung up on it being THX certified? It's not a must by any means.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

Quote:

When I mean 'perfect', I mean one that is not compromised by either quality, cost-effectiveness, technology, and ease of use?

Since I've been searching for a new receiver, I've found issues with nearly all makes such as Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onyko etc.

You should really try one of these: http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...tupid_piece_of

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
The closest thing to a perfect receiver might be the Onkyo 876.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:

Simple. Consumers are not willing to pay for them. A friend of mine actually told me when blu-ray players cost $25.00 and blu-ray movies cost $5.00, he might consider buying a player.....and this guy is loaded! American's buy value and not quality. End of story.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts