AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The format war that is. I mean you just look at who is backing up Blu-ray compared to HD-DVD and it's a no brainer. So, if somehow HD-DVD takes off with their Universal & Warner bro titles, we could see more studios moving to HD-DVD format???

HD-DVD doesn't have nearly amount of titles to offer overall, and their exclusives are lacking big time.

I will be honest and tell you from the getgo I was rooting for HD-DVD to win, because it offered the same performance at a lower cost. But, now I see all the studios and electronic manufacturers who are backing up Blu-ray, and it's stunning to say the least. They are backed by Panasonic, Pioneer, and Samsung for christs sake. That is like the globetrotters of companies.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
As far Available title count goes, Blu-ray has just caught up in the past few weeks or so.

I will bet you that by June they are still pretty equal in the number of titles available and by years end they will still be virtually equal in titles. If HD-DVD really does 300 titles this year, I'll actually bet they are a head in title count by the end of the year.

I think the price point of the players will be much more important than the number of or who the manufacturer is. I don't think most people out there care what the brand name on their player is. This is evident from the crazy low end brands of DVD players most are using right now.

I am starting to think there will not be a winner here. Both formats will survive long term.

All I can say if both camps come out with 300 titles this year, I will think I have died and gone to HD heaven... I own and use players of both formats. I promote HD in general and do not push one HD format over the other.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

As far Available title count goes, Blu-ray has just caught up in the past few weeks or so.

I will bet you that by June they are still pretty equal in the number of titles available and by years end they will still be virtually equal in titles. If HD-DVD really does 300 titles this year, I'll actually bet they are a head in title count by the end of the year.

I think the price point of the players will be much more important than the number of or who the manufacturer is. I don't think most people out there care what the brand name on their player is. This is evident from the crazy low end brands of DVD players most are using right now.

I am starting to think there will not be a winner here. Both formats will survive long term.

All I can say if both camps come out with 300 titles this year, I will think I have died and gone to HD heaven... I own and use players of both formats. I promote HD in general and do not push one HD format over the other.

I could not have said it better.

Competition is good, people.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think we should leave the thread at that and it needs to be closed. Before you know it, HD-DVD fan boys will be all over it and this will degenerate into yet another meaningless useless long thread.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
I agree that a single winner is unlikely. Both formats have their pros and cons, and likely atttract different types of customers. Dual format players will also likely make the format war moot. Why so many people have to have a winner (and keep attacking the other viewpoint) is beyond me.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:

100% agree...more HD the better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This why I bought a PS3. By far the best bang for buck BD player. Too bad no upconversion though : (

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
My release list (link in my sig) is certainly subject to error but by that I can see as of currently HD DVD is slighlty ahead in the number of titles released so far.

HD DVD Releases : 159

Blu-ray Releases : 135

Difference 24

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
while I'll likely end up having a bluray player, the upcoming movie list doesnt thrill me nearly as much as the titles that are out, and coming out on hd-dvd. I'm more a scifi/action fan, and hd-dvd has that covered in spades. Damn you, format war.

( I have NO current hd player)

I'm waiting to see if the 300 on hd-dvd outshines the bluray version significantly.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutelary /forum/post/0

while I'll likely end up having a bluray player, the upcoming movie list doesnt thrill me nearly as much as the titles that are out, and coming out on hd-dvd. I'm more a scifi/action fan, and hd-dvd has that covered in spades.

Then why would you buy BD? Both formats deliver similar PQ, so it just comes down to the movies available, which at this time is a wash in terms of total number (I have found that of the movies I want to see, based on my Netflix queue, about 80% are available in both or neither format, 10% in BD only, and 10% in HD only, so again, a total wash).

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think John pretty much covered. Both formats are going to be around for awhile and the competition is good for us as the consumer. We are see better and better HD quality movies coming from both camps because they are fighting over the market.

I truely believe that if there was only one format we would be living through double and triple dip hell right now. Also we would not be seeing advanced feeatures in the players until 3rd or 4th gen players. Can anyone say Advanced audio codec support or maybe BD Live.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV /forum/post/0

I could not have said it better.

Competition is good, people.

Not in this case it's not. If we had one format with multiple manufacturers, then we could avoid this stupid split.

1. We'd still have competition becuase Samsung would be trying to produce a better/cheaper machine than Sony, etc.

2. The average consummer, who is not going to purchase two machines will sit this one out until there is a clear winner - this will delay cheaper units because of the economics of scale and delay titles becoming available earlier because of a larger base.

3. Many consummers will stop buying any video discs in any format at all (why invest in yesterdays technology) or, simply stick with DVDs because they're good enough.

In short this format war is not good for consumers, not good for manufactures, and not good for producers of content. It will delay if not kill the wide spread adoption of a hi-def disc format. I'm happy that you're among the elite who can afford an HDTV and be an early adopter of two different very expensive hi-def disc players - but you are in a very small percentage of the population. Very few people have the time, money or inclination to go this route.

Until there is one format or viable and cheap dual format players, this competition that you think is a good thing, the whole hi-def video disc industry is in danger of being still born.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Quote:

If you can afford a $3K HDTV, I don't see why it is such a stretch to be able to afford two different sub $500 players.

But we all have our price points I suppose.

High def TVs can be had for around $1000. Some very good ones go for under $2000.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I think it's pretty evident HD DVD will win this war especially now that blu-ray has shown all their cards and nobody's impressed.

HD DVD has got affordable players on the horizon, what does blu-ray have? The PS3 was supposed to turn the tide for blu-ray but its impact has been lower than expected.

As for studio support, the smaller studios are turning to HD DVD. I'm sure the larger studios are noticing.

Now that it's pretty clear HD DVD will be the victor, I've only recently told friends if they are looking for a player, go with HD DVD. Up until now I've been telling them to hold off.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperII /forum/post/0

High def TVs can be had for around $1000. Some very good ones go for under $2000.

Exactly - now that we're getting sub 1K HDTV"S we'll finally get widespread adoption. Likewise, there won't be widespread adoptiong of hi-def discs until there is a sub 200 dollar player and one format (or a viable dual format player in the same price point). Until then it will be a niche market for videophiles. The percentage of people who own units in both formats will never amount to more than a tiny fraction of the consumer base.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

Quote:

I will bet you that by June they are still pretty equal in the number of titles available and by years end they will still be virtually equal in titles.

Through April 24th, BD is releasing 72 titles and HD is releasing 20 titles. (these are just the titles with actual release dates attached, so it could flux)

That is pretty telling right there. Now that the Studios that are neutral, really are neutral, the number of exclusivess on each format is what will make the difference. 1 vs 3 of the big 6 is going to start showing on retail shelves.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.