AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to say that jRiver is perfect. I have had more than my share of adventures with it, but if you have the hardware you should jump right in. This is the future compared to everything else.

So have you looked at the demo? Do you even know what it is?

jRiver MC 16 is the state of the art in so many ways, it is cheap and it is deeper and broader than any app out there. The rate of development is amazing and if you have not tried it or considered it you are missing the boat. I swear at it everyday as I try to learn it all but it is an app in another century compared to WMC in every respect except cable tuner support.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I use JRiver. I find it very impressive. It uses Lav Splitter/Filters with MadVR, and LAV CUVID if you have a nVidia card. There are lower settings if your system is weaker. The developers are very active and responsive (the software is updated regularly whenever Lav or madVR new versions are released - or if there is another improvement).

There are more featurers and settings than I can mention. Works great with Netflix and Hulu. Has news and Weather built in. Has JR fourm access built in. Too much to list. The audio is top notch. I feel like just stumbled onto a major discovery.

And there is a free trial.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray
I am not going to say that jRiver is perfect. I have had more than my share of adventures with it, but if you have the hardware you should jump right in. This is the future compared to everything else.

So have you looked at the demo? Do you even know what it is?

jRiver MC 16 is thestate of the art in so many ways, it is cheap and it is deeper and broader than any app out there. The rate of development is amazing and if you have not tried it or considered it you are missing the boat. I swear at it everyday as I try to learn it all but it is an app in another century compared to WMC in every respect except cable tuner support.
Is there any chance it may be purchased by Google or some other conglomerate any time soon?

If not....... I'm interested.

BT

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Quote:
it is cheap
Interesting. Didn't realized they changed pricing. It didn't use to be cheap. Before it was $100 for the base app and you have to pay to get extra features/functionality. That's one reason I've largely ignored it. After you pay for the extras, the software will end up costing you $200. Current price is fairly reasonable so I'll probably give it a try one of these days.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Like anything, it may have some focus priorities which some are willing to pay.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Start installing jRiver MC on mulltiple PCs and the minimal cost gets divided to near zero pretty quickly.

The idea the VLC playback is comparable to jRiver is only true if you don't care about picture quality.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62
Is there any chance it may be purchased by Google or some other conglomerate any time soon?

If not....... I'm interested.

BT
Sounds like a Sage owner with some understandable frustration

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Why is jRiver Media Center largely ignored here?
same reason Sage is(was) ignored here...

why pay money for something, when you can use the incredibly limited/crippled 7MC for free?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is the best media player at the moment. It is good looking specially the theater mode with touch screen design.

You can build many times a better system then median sooloos for fractions using jRiver

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm a big fan of MediaBrowser, but favorable comments about JRiver MC16 led me to give it another try. What I couldn't figure out, which MB does so well, is how to create virtual collections of different kinds of media, regardless of where it's located on the network. For instance, in MB I have a top-level folder for HD movies, another for SD, another for foreign, another for ALL movies, and another for ALL movies by genre. Several different network physical locations are involved in each of these menu choices. If there's a way to do something similar in MC16, I couldn't find it. If I missed some functionality there, let me know and I'll try it again.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali
I'm a big fan of MediaBrowser, but favorable comments about JRiver MC16 led me to give it another try. What I couldn't figure out, which MB does so well, is how to create virtual collections of different kinds of media, regardless of where it's located on the network. For instance, in MB I have a top-level folder for HD movies, another for SD, another for foreign, another for ALL movies, and another for ALL movies by genre. Several different network physical locations are involved in each of these menu choices. If there's a way to do something similar in MC16, I couldn't find it. If I missed some functionality there, let me know and I'll try it again.
That part of the app I have not really delved into yet. I have been focused on very excellent way they implement the direct show filter stack and such things as madVR in ATSC playback to put it in class by itself

Although there are those that who will argue the heirarchy of image quality output is EVR, EVR CP then madVR . jRiver is even using madVR with YouTube and ATSC. Picture Quality is my top priority. I will delve into browsing and categorization more soon. I have a big ripping project in process. Support for Android etc are also huge plusses.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
JRiver is my app of choice when I go on vacation; i download a ton of shows, movies, music onto a portable USB drive, then use theater mode combined with a windows remote and USB IR receiver and control away. I love how customizable that theater mode is, there's a lot of junk I'd never want in that context, and its pretty simple for me to only put in what I want.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/20776872

Interesting. Didn't realized they changed pricing. It didn't use to be cheap. Before it was $100 for the base app and you have to pay to get extra features/functionality. That's one reason I've largely ignored it. After you pay for the extras, the software will end up costing you $200. Current price is fairly reasonable so I'll probably give it a try one of these days.

When was that? I got it back in (v9? years ago), upgraded quasi-regularly, never saw a list price higher than it is now. Then again I wasn't paying that close attention.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenerDiode /forum/post/20777782

Maybe too many people feel cable tuner support is an integral part of the HTPC?

It is not like you loose cable tuner support, you merely exit jRiver and hit the Green button. What would be nice is cable tuner support with madvr as the renderer, so you would get the image quality upgrade. WMC does not go anywhere, it would just get much less use.

For example I might be in WMC watching CNNHD, now I am ready to watch and NFL game broadcast on a local. I can watch that in WMC or I can close WMC and view the game in jRiver with madVR and enjoy a more detailed smoother picture.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The Theater GUI and features are "childs play" compared to XBMC
. For an desktop audio player it`s great, probably the best, i use it with the FusionX theme and WASAPI to my Asus Xonar soundcard + Denon D510 headphones.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20776488

Costs money.

Yup, people here just don't seem to like anything you have to pay for. If it's not free, it's not worth using.

Strangely, I've generally found the opposite to be true, paid stuff is generally of higher quality/finish than the free stuff which seem to generally be like a half-finished side project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd /forum/post/20776872

I have no idea what software you're thinking of, it was $25 in 2004 when I first bought it, and that was for everything, there was nothing extra to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost /forum/post/20777210

same reason Sage is(was) ignored here...

why pay money for something, when you can use the incredibly limited/crippled 7MC for free?
Or any of the other half-finished science projects that seem so popular around here.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.