AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post here a few weeks ago about why mf2 won't let you use the whole 4.7 gb on a disc and I can not seem to find that post. Can anyone remember that post by chance? I've been searching for about an hour under Ulead and dmf2 but to no avail.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, perhaps I'd comment, but I've never heard of what you are talking about! :) What's mf2 and dmf2?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I was referring to ULead's DVD Movie Factory 2. Many of us use it to burn dvd's. When I get to the final screen it shows a capacity of only 4.3 gb when I obviously have a 4.7 gb disc in and I remember reading about it on this forum but I can not seem to find that thread again.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Did you try searching on the search page (use the search link at the top of the forum and use 'slow' search, etc.)? It does better than the simple 'search forum' field search.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Here is the exact answer:

DVD disc manufacturers love to use marketing terms and sell their discs as 4.7GB discs, but this is not true -- the 4.7GB is calculated by using so-called "Japanese gigabytes", where the power of calculations is 1,000 instead of 1,024 (and 1,024 is the correct way to calculate everything in computer world -- so, 1,024 megabytes == 1 gigabyte).

A DVD5 (DVD-R) has 4,680,540,160 bytes which in marketing terms is rounded UP to 4.7Gb but in computer terms it is only 4.35909271240234375Gb (to be exact).

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Sheesh, I didn't think it was that sort of question... I thought he really was missing space! :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
leesweet,

Until I found the thread I wasn't sure what my problem was either. That is precisely why I wanted to find that thread to read up on it. So technically, I was not missing anything it just measures the gigabytes a certain way. Great explanation whirly. I don't understand why the manufacturers of computers and the disc people can't get together on this and be consistant. All this stuff is confusing enough the way it is....

Husker

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
1. I thought you'd used the software before, and knew what was normal, and thus now you were 'missing' space. My bad! :)

2. It's all marketing. When you can 'divide' by a smaller, legal number and sell a 150GB drive as a 162 GB (whatever) drive, it will work for some people that always want the bigger one, even though it'a just a little.

What's funny is that on every harddrive I open, the first thing I come across (maybe it's also on the box?) is a disclaimer that a 'gigabyte' does not equal 'a usable gigabyte PC space'. :)

Can't wait until we get to TB (terabyte) disks. Then the difference is about 10%!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Can't wait until we get to TB (terabyte) disks. Then the difference is about 10%!
A little historical perspective:

Back when I bought my first 10Mb Drive (circa 1983) I cherished every Kilobyte. DOS took up 400K and Unix was for the big boys who could afford the bigger hard drives.

Nowadays my C:\\WINNT folder is 1.54GB and that doesn't include all of the other stray files WinDoze scatters around your hard drive, so what's a Megabyte here or there. When we get to the Terabyte realm, MS Longhorn will be 20-50GB shipped on multiple DVD's and we won't miss a few dozen gigabytes.

It's amazing what we can get use to over time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.