AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Canon Vixia HFS 10 from 2009.

I just bought a Canon Vixia HF R62 a week ago.

The picture quality is staggeringly inferior on the HF R62 and I can not figure out why. Do any of you have any insights or thoughts why this might be? I can plug each one directly into my television via HDMI and you can literally see the pixelation / noise around objects with the newer camera that simply isn't there with the older one.

To the untrained eye this noise would not be a huge deal, but I was looking to get "six years worth" of improved video technology out of this upgrade. Or at the very least - identical image quality. I surely was not expecting inferior.

One comment: I did spend nearly $1,500 on this Vixia HF S10 back in 2009. Is it possible this is simply a higher quality CANON device, and I have purchased a line that never was intended to be as good of quality? Or was that price so high because HD video cameras were brand new back then? I do see there are two Canon HD video cameras that are still in the $1,300 - $1,800 range. Is it possible I've downgraded?

I noticed my 2009 HFS10 has a popup flash / light and this new one has nothing. That seemed odd to me. Maybe this model is considered a lower quality model (HF r62)

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The picture quality is staggeringly inferior on the HF R62 and I can not figure out why. Do any of you have any insights or thoughts why this might be? I can plug each one directly into my television via HDMI and you can literally see the pixelation / noise around objects with the newer camera that simply isn't there with the older one.

To the untrained eye this noise would not be a huge deal, but I was looking to get "six years worth" of improved video technology out of this upgrade. Or at the very least - identical image quality. I surely was not expecting inferior.

One comment: I did spend nearly $1,500 on this Vixia HF S10 back in 2009. Is it possible this is simply a higher quality CANON device, and I have purchased a line that never was intended to be as good of quality? Or was that price so high because HD video cameras were brand new back then? I do see there are two Canon HD video cameras that are still in the $1,300 - $1,800 range. Is it possible I've downgraded?

I noticed my 2009 HFS10 has a popup flash / light and this new one has nothing. That seemed odd to me. Maybe this model is considered a lower quality model (HF r62)

Thanks.
Canon sucks last time...
Is it possible I've downgraded?
There is such a possibility

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Thanks.
The HF R62 has a smaller sensor and it's an entry-level camcorder whereas the HF S10 was mid-range.

If the HF S10 still works, there's no reason to get the HF R62.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Thank you. Which among the current CANON product line would be the "descendant" of the HF S10 ?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders

And to the guy who said it sucks - what's a better HD camcorder brand?

Thanks.
A few years back, they continued with a couple models, the HF S20, HF S30..tweaking the HF S10.

Today, Canon seems to have removed the lower budget mid-range camcorders. The R is entry level and then they have the HF G30 and more expensive models.

However, you can still buy a refurbished HF G20 direct from Canon:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...-consumer-camcorders/vixia-hf-g20-refurbished

if interested, look on deal sites for coupon codes, sales, etc. come up frequently for that Canon site.

This would be an improvement over the HF S10, with a larger sensor, better build and pro features, for a consumer camcorder, including full manual control and a focus ring.

Not sure of your budget, but If you're going to spend something like $700, you may also consider an interchangeable lens DSLR or mirrorless camera. Although camcorders are easier to use, if that's a concern.

There also is the Panasonic LX100 fixed (non- removable) lens, compact camera that shoots HD and 4K video. The Panasonic HC-750 HD camcorder is also a popular model.

If you want to stick with Canon camcorders, that HF G20 is a good deal. Or if your budget is higher they have other, more expensive camcorders.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

Thanks.
The reason is that Canon have not upgraded their technology much since the S10 series, and the sensor on your new camera is smaller than the old one. So you get worse IQ. The only way to improve IQ with Canon is to get something like a G30, but even then the IQ improvement is not that much. Most of the improvements are in the form of handling and flexibility, and the better lens on that camera.

If you want better quality in a small form factor, then something like the RX100M3 or a similar camera would be better. Frankly, IMO anyone who buys Canon for video these days is making a mistake. They do not, and have not, taken consumer video seriously for a long time.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The last Canon video camera I had was the HF s21 and it has excellent HD quality. It records to a built in solid state drive and has slots for extra SD cards. The only reason I undated was when 4k came out.
By the way, my first HD (1080) camcorder was also a Canon, but it used the old style miniDV tapes.
I also have a more recent Canon camera, the s100 which is designed on a small form factor and mainly for still shots, though it does also do video at 1080. The reason I purchased it was because of its very good low light ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts