AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is this said to be a bad pj for a beginer so often? Is my NEC PG Plus (6100) considered difficult to setup? Is it the fact that I can't do the mechanical convergance because I can't imagine a tool that could adjust those tiny screws on the plates holding the tubes on? Is it something to do with the parts? Is it difficult to replace the CRTs by hand?

What's all the hype about?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Its comparative. The NEC PG is much harder to set up COMPARED to a Marquee or Barco, or even an Ampro, all oh which all have fairly detailed, logically written internal HELP menus to follow. To setup a PG you need to read and INTERPRET the badly written manuals. Also, the PG has a form of dynamic convergence which is more difficult to master than the easier zone convergence of a Marquee or Barco.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
But the picture is _SWEET_ when properly set up..:)

Curt

·
Registered
111 Posts
My first and only projector is a 6pg, and I can tell you from experience it is a beast to learn. It took a solid month before I was happy with the picture.

But ,oh what a picture. Just be patient, and read, read, read the forum. Everything you need to know is here, and lots of great, helpful people.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I now have a 6pg and it is an interesting projector. I had a tech come over and even showed me a few tricks on the set mechanical setting up of the projector.

My thinking is that is is not very hard to set up, however the performance and setting up can be greatly affected on the previous user and how much they mucked with it. If they messed with the video-amp board your colors will never be right. ect.

Also because of a lack of zone convergence it is a little hard to set up but once learned it is easy.

I think the picture quality is very good, but it is one of those projectors that once its setup just leave it alone. Dont read tricks and then run to try them out.

Like maximizing your raster, nice in theory but when you get close to the edge the focusing becomes harder to dial in, unlike later model projectors that can compensate for it.

Anyway invest in a good tech and install it once.

clopez

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
An NEC is not bad for a noobie. In about 2 months it will make a seasoned pro out of you. Once you learn how to set that projector up, it will have been worth the effort for the picture you can achieve. As Curt said: SWEET.

I absolutely love my PG. It took me a month or so to master it also. Now I can dial one in in about an hour. Be patient with it, it's all worth it.

Marc

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Oh, yeah... parts and tubes are no biggie for that unit. No worries.

Marc

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Ok, now I know my wife is going to kill me ...

What does a 6PG+ go for with average tubes? I may need another CRT in the home (not really, but what the heck).

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The question was asked "how do you adjust the lenses with those tiny little screws on the mounting plates"? I can't believe no one answered that one. YOU DON'T. That type of adjustment is N/A on a PG. You must mount it perfectly according to the manual and use the spacer rings rotated to the to the specifications in the installation manual for your screen size and mounting configuration. All four of those tiny little screws on each lens plate should be tight...

Chip S.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Chip, you are right. Totally glossed over that one....

Marc

·
Registered
337 Posts
About the NEC's:

I have a 6 PGextra and I have it reasonably converged after...estimate....10+ hours work on a couple of weekends. Watchable, but not more. Still, what a picture ! Had some friends over for "sneak premiere" and they did not even notice the bad convergence until my pointing to it and whining about it...

I guess it is a little like the Rubick's cube popular in the seventies. Some 27 smaller cubes had to be fitted so that one side on the larger cube had the same colour. Never quite solved that one, but I guess in the case of PJ's it is just practice and a truckload of patience that is necessary.

Thomas

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
So, to make a long story short, get yourself an installation manual. There are a couple of places you can download these on line. With a PG the first and most important thing is getting the physical installation correct, not close, but right on the money. I'm quoting from memory here . I believe the manual says that there is only a +or- 2% margin of error due to it's lack of lens flapping adjustments. If you expect to see scan lines in all four corners then 2% is to much. Once you master this projector you'll be amazed at the picture it can produce.

Chip S.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I downloaded the istallation manual awhile ago and have read it since I have gotten the pj setup. I have had it for about a month. I was lucky the previous owner had the mechanical done setup already. Glad to hear that it is just more difficult because I haven't played with the less difficult ones to even notice or be botherd by it. More difficult convergance huh? I'm assuming zone convergance means some sorta convergance isolated from other areas in a way that each is done seperately. If anyone wants to explain it more that it might be interesting but I may forget by the time I could have a display with that feature. I still may want to have a pro setup the pj when and replace my tubes when I'm ready. I'm still learning so obviously so I may not want or need one down the road. Don't teach me to much here at this forum with all these pj post or I woln't be needing any service. ;)

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.