AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older H/K AVR35 and it only has 1 coax and 1 digital audio input.

Im wanting to hook my cable box and DVD player up to the same receiver. I bought a little HDMI splitter box that has 2 HDMI inputs and then it has HDMI video out, coax and optical vor audio.

Before i was running coax from the DVD player and optical from the cable box and i got the display on the receiver to say 3/2/1 meaning it was running in 5.1

I figured if i used the HDMI splitter i could run both HDMI in then split the audio off the HDMI signal but now im getting "PCM" what is this? Is this just a different type of 5.1 signal or is it some type of stereo signal not even surround?

The problem i had was in order to get the coax from my cable box i had to run compont video if i wanted the coax audio going threw the HDMI it wanted to default using the HDMI sound.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If you disconnect the cable box, and still use the splitter, can you get Dolby Digital again?

Could be some sort of HDMI handshaking issue. The player could be unable to get proper EDID info, and is defaulting to two channel PCM.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What i have i got off e-bay, item number 250463100320

it says

2 Port Hi-Fi HDMI Switcher audio Splitter not only meets the ideal image effect for the HDTV but also meets the need of the enthusiasts' requirement for audio. Because it separates the audio signal from the HDMI interface, then transmit to the amplifier by SPDIF or COAX(RCA).It supports the real HDMI 1.3 and the video amlifier bandwidth can be up to 2.25Gpbs/225MHz.

* Input: 2 x HDMI Output: HDMI + SPDIF or COAX(RCA)

* Input could be switched between two HDMI device

* SPDIF and COAX interface supporting PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS digital audio at up to 192kHz frame rate

* Support video amlifier bandwidth can be up to 2.25Gpbs/225MHz.

* Large distribution achieved by stacking the unit

* DC/5V Power adapter (We ship to different country with different adapter)

* Support HDCP 1.1, DVI 1.0 and HDMI v1.3 Maintains high resolution up to 1080p

* FCC and CE Certified"

Here is what i looks like

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Go back to the way you used to do it. HDMI video from a cable company is a joke. It is no different than the component connection. I have my Fios Box hooked up both ways and there is NO difference in PQ. HDMI also carries the same audio. HDMI for this application is convenience only. If you were talking about a Blu-Ray player this would be a whole different conversation.

Your switch is only giving you two channel PCM. I can't see going through all the trouble for no added bonus. Return the switch if you still can.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the bonus would of been not having to change the audio modes to watch either source. Plus it would of had HDMI video from both and coax from both if it worked. I can still try the optical cable see if it works over the coax but i have a feeling it wont.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any other options i can go with?

WHat a waste of $50.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the audio signal that comes out of the HDMI plug even a coax type signal? maybe its not even the right type of signal?

I get sound and picture so it is doing somthing but just not the 5.1

What is the difference between the coax and the optical signal? If i get an optical cable would that change anything or is it the same type of signal as the coax?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16949505

The problem i had was in order to get the coax from my cable box i had to run compont video if i wanted the coax audio going threw the HDMI it wanted to default using the HDMI sound.

I don't see the problem. The video coming from the cable box via HDMI vs component are exactly the same 720p/1080i HD video.

Coax and optical digital audio outputs are identical in capability. If there is 5.1 in the signal, it will be sent via either type of connection. But not all TV channels or programs (by a long shot) have 5.1 audio.

I don't see how using HDMI outputs from your sources when you have no other HDMI devices in the system would cause anything but problems. Yes, you wasted $50 unless you can get a refund.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
When I have compared component via HDMI, there are some differences. Component video seemed to soften some artifacts. I compared a paused screen.

That being said, component video seems to often work better with cable boxes, as channel changing sometimes does funny things when HDMI is connected. And it's video quality is nearly as good as HDMI.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16956605

When I have compared component via HDMI, there are some differences. Component video seemed to soften some artifacts. I compared a paused screen.

That being said, component video seems to often work better with cable boxes, as channel changing sometimes does funny things when HDMI is connected. And it's video quality is nearly as good as HDMI.

The weird part is it is a mechanicly switched unit. WHen switching from HDMI in 1 to 2 is just a push in push out switch like an A/B switch.

I figured if they tapped into the HDMI audio and then send it to the coax output using a switch there would be no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.