AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why my subwoofer is doing this?

Theres no added bass and i had to adjust the sub output all the way to -7.0dB to sort of avoid this sound..

Also as you can tell it's having a hard time keeping up with my speakers at volume 33 out of 70..

Anyways heres the video.. and sorry for moving so much i drank way to much coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jka_V2iA-LM

·
Registered
150 Posts
One of the woofers on my RC70 used to make a similar noise. Turned out to be a small dust particle that had lodged itself between the dust cap and the cone. I was able to remove it and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 /forum/post/0

Your're running the sub woofer way to hot!, TURN IT DOWN!

Second,why do you have it placed there? It could be vibrations.

So would I need a more powerful sub?

Also it's in temporary location, just finished moving everything around and still have to find a place for the sub.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
So, you have the gain turned all the way up, plus you are playing it at high volume...Sounds like you a bottoming the driver. It's a wonder it's not permanently damaged (actually it may be).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
That is a small sub turned up way too loud. You are asking way to much out of that guy. That guy is bottoming out and if you haven't damaged yet, it will be shortly. If you want to play it that loud you are going to have to up the anti on subwoofer and look at getting something capable of producing serious bass. Move that one to a computer for low level listening.

I am also car audio nerd and I know one 8 isn't gonna cut it. I do have 4 of them for my midbass in towers. Big ported 15 for theater room so far, dual sealed 15's in car.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv /forum/post/19622927

So, you have the gain turned all the way up, plus you are playing it at high volume...Sounds like you a bottoming the driver. It's a wonder it's not permanently damaged (actually it may be).

Plus if you pause the vid he does not have the Xover all the way up on the sub so he is cascading the crossovers on the sub and the AVR.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/19623190

Plus if you pause the vid he does not have the Xover all the way up on the sub so he is cascading the crossovers on the sub and the AVR.

I dont think so, he's using the LFE input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I set my xovers on my satellites to 150hz on my avr and turned my subs xover all the way up to 150hz. I also turned the subs volume down to the 9 oclock position and ran the auto calibration on my avr..

It sounds great now (no bottoming out) but I like way more bass than it's putting out.

And yes I'm kind of a basshead.. If you would call it that..

Should I upgrade to a bigger/better sub?

Also sorry for my punctation my comp is being a jerk so I'm posting with my phone.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXORAnG3Xx /forum/post/19623492

Ok so I set my xovers on my satellites to 150hz on my avr and turned my subs xover all the way up to 150hz. I also turned the subs volume down to the 9 oclock position and ran the auto calibration on my avr..

It sounds great now (no bottoming out) but I like way more bass than it's putting out.

And yes I'm kind of a basshead.. If you would call it that..

Should I upgrade to a bigger/better sub?

Also sorry for my punctation my comp is being a jerk so I'm posting with my phone.

Your subwoofer position is CRAP!!!!! You want to make the most out of your small 8" subwoofer you need to do the subwoofer crawl

Also if your satelites are Energy Take Classics they can have a crossover of 120hz in the receiver.

I generally run my subwoofer at 45% to 50% if the neighbors aren't around I also boost the level in the receiver 2 or 3 db.

If you want more bass time for a bigger subwoofer. I would suggest you let the receiver do the leveling for it and you actually read the manual so you don't destroy your new subwoofer when you get one

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425
Your subwoofer position is CRAP!!!!! You want to make the most out of your small 8" subwoofer you need to do the subwoofer crawl

Also if your satelites are Energy Take Classics they can have a crossover of 120hz in the receiver.

I generally run my subwoofer at 45% to 50% if the neighbors aren't around I also boost the level in the receiver 2 or 3 db.

If you want more bass time for a bigger subwoofer. I would suggest you let the receiver do the leveling for it and you actually read the manual so you don't destroy your new subwoofer when you get one
Ok

I did the sub crawl (best spot is in my closet).

I had the take classics but I sold them and got the klipsch hd 300 speaker system and the satellite handle down to 150hz only.

My sub is set at the 9 o'clock position (at 25% volume)

Then I let my AVR do the auto leveling (auto calibration) and corrected the satellites measurements.

Everything is now sounding great even at high volumes but i would like more bass so i decided to put in a order for two Lava LSP10's with the 15% AVS discount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts