AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was home for lunch today and turned on my new HDTV to PBS. They were showing a program called "Innovation: Hi-Tech War." The little PBS|HD showed in the upper left corner of the screen. Yet over at checkhd.com, they did not list this program as HD. It sure looked like it was shot in HD. Any reason why checkhd.com would not list this as HD?

Also, is there another more reliable source to check on the net about HDTV OTA?

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
USA Today also notes HD network programming.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETphoneHome
They were showing a program called "Innovation: Hi-Tech War." The little PBS|HD showed in the upper left corner of the screen.
This does not mean the program is in HD ... actually, I see that bug on the "widescreen" upconverts more often than on the true HD programs. IOW, all that bug means is that you are watching the PBS HD feed.

·
Registered
667 Posts
PBS, in order to cut costs, has decided to just do widescreen programs so some of them may be digital widescreen and some may be true high def. Depends on the show. Sometimes they will tell you and sometimes you just have to figure it out.

Even looks like TNT has finally gotten its series re-runs in HD. For the longest they claimed HD but were simply running the old 4X3 format in stretch mode.

It all depends on the service that administers to your sat or cable remote as to whether they tell you in advance of HD or not.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I made it home before noon today and another program aired. I noticed it said it was wide screen but not HD. So I am sure the military program I watched Wed. was not HD either, but it sure looked good. So Checkhd.com and titantv.com are accurate in reporting HD.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Seems the descriptions create confusion. Upconverted 1080i/720p isn't HDTV, of course. It may appear crisp and be 16:9, but it has to be scanned originally at 1080 or 720 lines, not 480, to be HDTV. PBS shows, as noted, are often ambiguous; so aren't movies on various channels.

Looking for fine background details--trees, rocks, crowd scenes--often helps distinguish true HDTV from upconverted 1080/720p. But, since 480-line tapes can capture horizontal resolution beyond 1000 lines, upconversions can appear crisp, too. (For SD delivery, such higher horizontal resolutions require downconversion or simply frequency trimming.) And poor-quality true-HD transfers, from fuzzier film prints, further blurs the PQ contrast between 1080/720 upconversions and HDTV. -- John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.