AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a SAT C kit today to get Showtime HD on DTV. However whenever I have checked during the day, I only see 4:3 programming, no 16:9. The other HD channels - HBO and HDNET are 16:9.

Anybody know why?

Thanks.

Lore

·
Registered
936 Posts
Prob because not all material is broadcast in HD. Hard to say for sure without having a schedule in front of me. You might want to look up the Atlanta HD guide (I don't have URL sorry), they will tell you what is on.

Mike

here's the URL:

http://www.atlantadtv.org

·
Registered
Epson 6050UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,350 Posts
I tuned into Queer As Folk last night and it was letterboxed within a 4:3 frame on my widescreen projector (so letterbox on all 4 sides). I've never seen this on HBO-HD and am new to SHO-HD.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Degenero

Showtime dosen't have the bucks like HBO...
Has it been documented anywhere that a shortage of (or unwillingness to spend) money is the reason for less HD on Showtime's HD channel? Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G

Has it been documented anywhere that a shortage of (or unwillingness to spend) money is the reason for less HD on Showtime's HD channel? Thanks.
Yep I just told you

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Degenero

Yep I just told you
Forgive me, but that just doesn't work very well for me.

You said that Showtime doesn have the money to provide the level of HDTV that HBO does. There must be some basis for your statement. I know you wouldn't say it without such a basis.

I'm simply asking you for that basis. Is it something you were told by a Showtime employee? Is it something you read in a SEC filing? Something available to Showtime stockholders? I'm just simply interested in learning more about Showtime's financial problems that you seem to be alluding to.

Thanks very much and I look forward to your reply. I'm quite confident you will respect this forum and it's participants by providing a real and honest answer. If you know me, then you know I will persist in discovering the basis for this. I have spoken with Richard Southard of Showtime on a number of occasions. It's been awhile, but I can give him a call and see if he can shed some light on the financial situation at Showtime. But before I call him, I'd like to gather more information from you on this rather significant and disconcerting issue.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:

Forgive me, but that just doesn't work very well for me.

You said that Showtime doesn have the money to provide the level of HDTV that HBO does. There must be some basis for your statement. I know you wouldn't say it without such a basis.

I'm simply asking you for that basis. Is it something you were told by a Showtime employee? Is it something you read in a SEC filing? Something available to Showtime stockholders? I'm just simply interested in learning more about Showtime's financial problems that you seem to be alluding to.

Thanks very much and I look forward to your reply. I'm quite confident you will respect this forum and it's participants by providing a real and honest answer. If you know me, then you know I will persist in discovering the basis for this. I have spoken with Richard Southard of Showtime on a number of occasions. It's been awhile, but I can give him a call and see if he can shed some light on the financial situation at Showtime. But before I call him, I'd like to gather more information from you on this rather significant and disconcerting issue.
If you, like others on this forum, take note of the facts over the last two years or so, you'll likely come to the same logical conclusion:

>Showtime is a distant second in ratings behind HBO

>HD transfers cost a substantial amount of money

>Some films that Showtime airs upconverted 16:9 or 4:3 have already been previously aired in HD on HBO

>Showtime rarely airs a true 1080i 'blockbuster' film

>Showtime doesn't produce any original series in HD -- unlike HBO

You draw your own conclusions. ..Showtime is too cheap, too broke or doesn't really care (or all of the preceding).

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you, like others on this forum, take note of the facts over the last two years or so, you'll likely come to the same logical conclusion:

>Some films that Showtime airs upconverted 16:9 or 4:3 have already been previously aired in HD on HBO

You draw your own conclusions. ..Showtime is too cheap, too broke or doesn't really care (or all of the preceding).

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwood

All of these are possibilities. But they are only conjectures with no real facts to support them.

My theory is that HBO does their own transfers and gets more movies because they have a deal with Hollywood to downrez the movies that Hollywood wants them to degrade. Showtime won't do this so they accept a widescreen upconvert and label it as such. Many have theorized that HBO does downrez certain movies, but still labels them as HD.

Is my theory correct? I don't know. I have no facts to back them up. Just as your Showtime theories are nothing more than theories. One has to label a theory as such, not as a fact. That's my whole point. A statement such as "Showtime doesn't have the bucks like HBO" that stands on it's own appears as a statement of fact. When in reality, it is only and unsubstantiated theory.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
I've made another deletion.

Up to this point the discussion has been civil, let's keep it that way.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If what HBO shows is down-rezzed, bring on the down-rez, because it looks awesome.

·
Registered
33,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dylan Savage
If what HBO shows is down-rezzed, bring on the down-rez, because it looks awesome.
I'm with you Dylan. These days the average HBO HD movie looks fantastic! Some of the movies may be pretty bad, but they still look amazing. It would be next to impossible for me to believe these are "down rezed". When I compare them to the Showtime upconverts, there is even less doubt in my mind that they are truly HD. The amount of detail that can be seen is certainly consistent with the quality of good HD. On the other hand there is also no mistaking a true HD movie on Showtime, the level of detail is a give away. I always look for the first wide shot as the telltale. Close-ups can be deceiving, since a good upconvert can make a closeup almost look HD. However, there is no way to get the level of detail in a wide shot on an upconvert that you see in true HD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

My theory is that HBO does their own transfers and gets more movies because they have a deal with Hollywood to downrez the movies that Hollywood wants them to degrade. ..........
Great theory. I agree

JGS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.