AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm just honestly curious. The only fighting game I ever really got into was Tekken Tag for PS2 just because we'd always have a bunch of people playing together in college so I'm not exactly an expert in the genre. Back in the day, Mortal Kombat always seemed (to me) to be much smoother looking and playing. SF always looked like it was moving about 10 frames a second to me. Someone falls and they bounce in like 10 distinct flashes for example. It just constantly looks like it slowing to a crawl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts
Do you have a valid criticism of the game beyond just the animation frames? If you just want to look at pretty graphics and mess around with a game while you drink beer, SF2 might not be the best choice. But if you want an intense, competitive game that requires technique, skill, and practice SF2 is up there with the best gaming has to offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,131 Posts
SF2 is considered the most balanced and perfect fighting experience. with that said most of the depth comes in pro tricks and juggling which I don't care for. I always perfered the alpha games or even SF3. and even so my favorite fighrting game to date is soul caliber 2. Street fighter is still the originator so it has infinite legacy points. Thing is most fo the guys who made street fighter great now work on the guilty gear series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing /forum/post/14234803


Do you have a valid criticism of the game beyond just the animation frames? If you just want to look at pretty graphics and mess around with a game while you drink beer, SF2 might not be the best choice. But if you want an intense, competitive game that requires technique, skill, and practice SF2 is up there with the best gaming has to offer.

Well I would think in a fighting game (most of which require impeccable timing for a player to be great), a constant framerate would be crucial. I didn't saying anything about graphics or art style or any of that. I'm talking about how the game seems to significantly slow down constantly. Why does it do that and why doesn't it bother anyone?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/14234764


I'm not trying to troll or anything, I'm just honestly curious. The only fighting game I ever really got into was Tekken Tag for PS2 just because we'd always have a bunch of people playing together in college so I'm not exactly an expert in the genre. Back in the day, Mortal Kombat always seemed (to me) to be much smoother looking and playing. SF always looked like it was moving about 10 frames a second to me. Someone falls and they bounce in like 10 distinct flashes for example. It just constantly looks like it slowing to a crawl.

are you aware that street fighter 2 came out in like 1992 and was a graphical powerhouse for many a year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/14234939


Well I would think in a fighting game (most of which require impeccable timing for a player to be great), a constant framerate would be crucial. I didn't saying anything about graphics or art style or any of that. I'm talking about how the game seems to significantly slow down constantly. Why does it do that and why doesn't it bother anyone?

Well, if general game speed is your problem, that is why SF2 Turbo came out (and probably was bigger than the original SF2). In terms of slowdown, like the type of slowdown you saw a lot on Super Nintendo or whatever, I really can't say there is a lot of that on the original arcade units (if you are talking about ports to consoles, obviously its a whole different ballgame). Definitely not on the later games like SF3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course
, and again, I'm not talking about the graphics. Even the new HD one coming out, the videos I've seen retains the same choppy, sluggish framerate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,949 Posts
Well, again, and I don't mean to talk to you like you are an idiot so I apologize if it comes off this way, but I do believe you are complaining about the generally low number of animation frames in the game (which is identical in the new HD remix to keep gameplay the same). That was a hardware limitation back in the day and, yes, people generally found no problem with it. The game's controls are super responsive and crisp, and reactions are instantaneous, so it didn't matter. Mortal Kombat's controls are, by comparison, a total disaster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/14235289


Of course
, and again, I'm not talking about the graphics. Even the new HD one coming out, the videos I've seen retains the same choppy, sluggish framerate.

I personally dont think you're a "troll" or inciting anything other than peoples opinions on a subject you find perplexing.


The only issue I have is the fact that you're not going to get anything from these kinds of discussions except variations of "I LOVE STREET FIGHTER. BEST GAME EVERZ", "I HATE STREET FIGHTER. TOTAL SUX" or "STREET FIGHTER? Meh" type responses.


It looks like you personally find it difficult to understand what all the hoopla is about. If its not your cup of tea thats totally understandable, but that should be sufficient.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
It's not my favorite fighting game but I respect people who like it and can see why they would like it just not my game personally, I'm a Soul Calibur guy though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like maybe our standards have changed in some ways. If a game had a crap framerate today but had great controls and great graphics for its time, it would still get blasted for the crap framerate. Just like at the EA games on PS3 last year, and those weren't even that bad! Just imagined if CoD4 was the same game it is at 25fps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant Nexus6 /forum/post/14235349


The only issue I have is the fact that you're not going to get anything from these kinds of discussions except variations of "I LOVE STREET FIGHTER. BEST GAME EVERZ", "I HATE STREET FIGHTER. TOTAL SUX" or "STREET FIGHTER? Meh" type responses.

Come on, he got a much better, well thought out answer than that in the second post! There are many reasons that people are huge fans of Street Fighter II. I've been into the Street Fighter franchise since I was 11 years old on a cruise to the Bahamas and I found out that people didn't know how to get their quarters out of the slot machines.


The original poster seems to be confusing slowdown and refresh rates with the limited amount of frames of animation in the original games. The Alpha series and III are far superior in terms of smoothness and play mechanics, but people still enjoy playing Street Fighter II for nostalgia purposes. I'd far prefer a game based on the Alpha engine with HD Remixes graphics, but I'll be first in line to get HD Remix when it is released.


People liked Street Fighter because it's easy to pick up and play and perform many of the special moves, but with practice, whole new layers of strategy open up. It's a skill based endeavor like any good shooter or sports game. And it's a hell of a lot of fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
888 Posts
I understand what your saying. It's like, when you knock the other guy down and they skip across the screen on their back-kind of odd. Good explanations have already been posted. It's a pioneer of the fighting genre, and the characters are pretty badass. People get attached to certain characters, which truly is a testament of the game itself. But, since no one else is making a fighting game with Hadokens and fierce uppercuts, it still offers a unique gameplay experience.


I'm with you NoThru22-much rather prefer Alpha and SFIII.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 /forum/post/14235852


Come on, he got a much better, well thought out answer than that in the second post!...


...People liked Street Fighter because it's easy to pick up and play and perform many of the special moves, but with practice, whole new layers of strategy open up. It's a skill based endeavor like any good shooter or sports game. And it's a hell of a lot of fun.

So you'd be a variation of the "I LOVE STREET FIGHTER. BEST GAME EVERZ." grouping



I understand what you mean. Ultimately, I dont see a real point in trying to understand why people do or dont like something like a game since it really is a matter of personal preference, nostalgic influence, environment, etc. Personally, as an example, I cannot BELIEVE there are folks out there that really like Battlefield Bad Company. But starting a thread to ask what people see in it will not make me like the game any better.


But hey, Im sure Ive brought up many a seemingly pointless thing myself. So Ill stop talking...... now.


EDIT: I was an SFII fan back in the day. Although I ended up playing on the SNES more than anywhere else. Yes, I know, that officially makes me lame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,757 Posts
A lot of the 30 and up crowd here grew up playing it in the arcade. We all see memories of our childhood through rose colored glasses. Today's young gamers probably don't "get it" in terms of the hardcore Street Fighter love.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I played it on SNES too (and sometimes the arcade) but just at a friend's house. He loved it. I didn't know why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/14236366


A lot of the 30 and up crowd here grew up playing it in the arcade. We all see memories of our childhood through rose colored glasses. Today's young gamers probably don't "get it" in terms of the hardcore Street Fighter love.

Exactly.


I'm 36 and used to quarter SFII like crazy in the local arcades. Back then it was almost a SFII vs. MK crowd. I eventually phased over to MK once MKII came out, and then gently rolled over to Fatal Instinct since by that time SFII was "old school".



-JR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
I burned out on fighting games years ago and other than a very brief session with the XBLA demo, I haven't played any of the Street Fighter II games since the 3DO days. I also used to own several versions for the SNES and Genesis.


As to its enduring popularity; the limited animation notwithstanding, it was a very deep fighting game and one of the first to introduce and popularlize all sorts of play mechanics like special moves, combos, etc. I also think that giving each of the characters an evergrowing backstory and incorporating an over-arching storyline to the game helped its longevity.


As for me, my biggest complaint was with the single player game and how your opponents were able to perform all kinds of cheap moves and attacks, especially when you got to the last couple of bosses. Every fighting game did this to some degree, but SFII was notorious in that regard and I remember hurling many a profanity and the occasional controller back in the day.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top