AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with DxVA on, I don't really get great pic quality from my Fusion, although, from what I read, while it will not ever be as hot as a hardware card at 1080i, it is still lower quality at 1024/768p, in that the hipix will show a brighter picture. As I am supposed to understand, the total software is 960/540, and the DxVA is supposed to be much better. Why is this true. Can it get better?

Darius

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I personally think it is the PCI bus. I have the MyHD and I find it's PQ better than the Fusion II. The Fusion II is more like software DVD where the video is being upscaled by the video card. The MyHD is scaling directly from the source (no PCI limits).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hmm, intput to the processor 19 mega bits / second over a 133 mega BYTE / second bus. Output over the 8X AGP port which should be at least 1064 mega bytes / second. HDTV is 1920 x 1080 x 30 x 3 / second which gets 186,624,000 bytes per second.

It is not a bus bandwidth problem.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Your figures

186 Mega Byte/second over a 133 Mega Byte/second pci sure looks llike a bottle neck to me! I doubt that Fusion is sending a 1080i (or p) across the pci bus.

Besides you are not including other traffic on this same pci bus. You do at the very least require audio packets as well, plus system resources such as memory caching, disk drive read rights, etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jkaiser,

The 186 MB/s is sent over the AGP bus which is MUCH faster than the PCI bus and isn't shared with anything. The compressed stream (2.4MB/s) is the only one sent over the PCI bus. This comes no where near to stressing it even if there is a lot of traffic. So unless you have a PCI graphics adapter this shouldn't be problem. Besides, an overstressed bus, be it AGP or PCI or any other bottleneck will not result in lower image quality, but instead stuttering (due to skipped frames), or perhaps artifacts due to lost data.

shah8,

The newest version of the Fusion software has selectable quality levels for the software decoder including quarter, half, and full resolution decoding. I have found that the software decoder (in its highest quality decoding mode) looks better on my setup than the DXVA decoder for 1080i sources due to the virtical jitter introduced by the DXVA decoder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.