AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got a fairly decent home theater setup and I use the digital optical audio out from my DVD player to my receiver. That makes sense to me--the source is providing pristine 5.1 audio, so I should send it to the receiver as unaltered as possible. But with the Replay, the only audio it can generate is what has been fed to it, and the only audio "in" is a pair of composite L/R RCA jacks. Why would I send a digital optical audio feed of something that came in (and probably didn't go out unaltered to begin with) on composites to my receiver? Isn't that like putting a turd in a jewelry box? I didn't think the Replays could process more than Dolby AC 3 anyway?

Enlighten me......

**EDIT** - Never mind, I saw another thread about this very same topic but I couldn't delete this one.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
To eliminate the cheap ReplayTV DAC from the signal path.

That's the only reason... oh, maybe that's the thread you saw?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The other reason might of been for a future expansion like VOD. Shows would be sent straight to your ReplayTV recorded with pure digital audio. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Ace good idea. I've already run tests on something like this and I can tell you the replay won't pass any Dobly Digital signals out (although I think I did hear a snipit once) other than that the test was a horrific failure. So, if they did push digital audio content the audio would be MPEG-audio. =(

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh well.... looks like it was another one of Replay's "lets put this in and we'll finish it up later" hardware things :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It also looks good in a list of bullet points...

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVRick
well there's one other reason, especially if you have a digital (audio) receiver ... the signal internally (from the hd) is digital (mpeg encoded) and you can save a d/a - a/d conversion step if you use the digital out from RTV to digital in on receiver. Unfortunately although my receiver has a DSP to do the Dolby Pro Logic (and other effects) it does not have digital in so it does me no good.
How is this different than what I said above?
Quote:
To eliminate the cheap ReplayTV DAC from the signal path.
Digital input would be a standard piece of equipment on a digital input receiver... =)

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Because you can perform LASIK in the comfort of your own living room. The red laser in back opens you up, the blue laser on the front finishes the job.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I admit, I use the optical out. Smaller cable, saves me an RCA slot on my receiver, etc;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.