AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got a new LG LCD TV, but I've seen it with my parent's plasma Samsung as well and on other TVs.

Anywhere near a black bar/border there is a thin band of a lighter color (it's part of the video but looks like there's a clear thing filter over a small band of picture)

It's very distracting

Here are some pics to show my example

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 /forum/post/19610638

Can anyone help solve this problem/mystery?

It seems to only happen over HDMI cable/bluray player but not when videos on HDD are connected directly to the TV

Often happens with dvds with black bars. Try a blu-ray movie instead.

Also check to make sure that edge enhancement is turned off and sharpness is at 0 on your tv.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not a DVD. I've only tried files and blurays. It doesn't happen when the USB drive is plugged directly into the tv. Still happens with sharpness at 0. With it at 0 the picture is horrible

I see screen tearing with 360 too

grr now i might have to return it. The whole point was to NOT get a samsung

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Like Pendragoon I instantaneously thought turn off edge enhancement and turn sharpness to about 20% of max. But, since that didn't work, if you're in Standard or Dynamic mode, etc., turn it to Movie. Next, turn off Dynamic Contrast and Digital noise reduction. Turn down contrast, color, and brightness. These tactics usually reduce ringing caused by overdriving settings.

Next, try disconnecting the cable from the cablebox and connect it to the RF input on the TV. Autoprogram (scan for cable channels). This way you'll be using the internal QAM tuner on the TV, eliminating the cablebox/HDMI from the equation. You will be able to see broadcast channels ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. in HD (enter the std channel number followed by -1 or .1) and other stations in SD. See if the problem goes away.... if so, the cablebox or HDMI is the problem.

If that doesn't do it, try to connect the blu ray with component cables. Finally, make sure the blu ray player doesn't have picture settings cranked up. Or try a different blu ray player. Good luck.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp /forum/post/19611458

Like Pendragoon I instantaneously thought turn off edge enhancement and turn sharpness to about 20% of max. But, since that didn't work, if you're in Standard or Dynamic mode, etc., turn it to Movie. Next, turn off Dynamic Contrast and Digital noise reduction. Turn down contrast, color, and brightness. These tactics usually reduce ringing caused by overdriving settings.

Next, try disconnecting the cable from the cablebox and connect it to the RF input on the TV. Autoprogram (scan for cable channels). This way you'll be using the internal QAM tuner on the TV, eliminating the cablebox/HDMI from the equation. You will be able to see broadcast channels ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. in HD (enter the std channel number followed by -1 or .1) and other stations in SD. See if the problem goes away.... if so, the cablebox or HDMI is the problem.

If that doesn't do it, try to connect the blu ray with component cables. Finally, make sure the blu ray player doesn't have picture settings cranked up. Or try a different blu ray player. Good luck.

I don't have a cable box but I will try the other options, thank you.

I've left my blu ray settings all at 0

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 /forum/post/19611654

On second test I think lowering the H and V sharpness to between 20-40 is making it better; but is this going to make the picture blurry and soft?

Lowering sharpness, color, contrast, and brightness somewhat, and turning off the processing features I mentioned did not make the picture blurry or soft, but eliminated white ringing I had with SD broadcasts.

Also, find the "Official" thread in this forum for your model TV, and post your question there. Other owners will be glad to jump in and help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it back, the problem is still there no matter what.. using this bluray player

Tried the bluray player on a samsung plasma and same problem

but my 360 has the same problem too on both tvs..

oye

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Edgelit led? edge lit tv often has lighter sides as thats where the backlight is.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19612879

It certainly DOES NOT happen on either of mine.

Agreed, 5 lcd tv is this house. 3 sonys, a vizeo and an lg. 2 lcd pc monitors a dell(lg) an LG. None exhibit anythign as you have none nada doesnt exist.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune76 /forum/post/0

nah it's a plain ol LCD

this happens on other TVs too though

Looks like light leakage from the CCFL which is at the top and bottom of the TV. Suggest u change it if it bothers you so much unless you can reassemble the BLU (Backlight Unit)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor
Looks like light leakage from the CCFL which is at the top and bottom of the TV. Suggest u change it if it bothers you so much unless you can reassemble the BLU (Backlight Unit)
It is actually on the edge of the blackbar in movies that are 2.35:1 etc. So it's a good 4 inches in from the top/bottom.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What brand and when did you buy it. It its within the 30 days return that thing for a new one its defective. Nothing you can do to fix it short of reassembly. It shouldnt be like that.

Other LCD are not like that.

Really all there is to it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.