AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too new of a receiver? I've been researching every scrap of info for Yamaha's cheapest networking receivers: the 867, 671 and 710 with very little explaining the exact differences between them. Obviously in a perfect world I would go to a store and demo each of them but I don't know of a single store that demos home theater receivers anymore. The features that I'm interested in are the internet streaming apps (Pandora, vTuner, Sirius), Zone 2 simplicity, DLNA simplicity, iPhone app quality and iPhone direct connectivity. I'm buying a new receiver from NFM this weekend to replace a Pioneer 1018 because I need the HDMI 3D compatibility. Personally it seems like a no brainer to go for the 710. From what it looks like, for only $50 more you get exactly the same features only it's an AVENTAGE! This may sound silly but it makes me nervous. I don't even know why there is a 671 if the 710 is only $50 more. What I specifically like about the 710 are the full sized speaker terminals for Zone2 and the AVENTAGE build quality. However, I do like the lack of an input selector wheel on the 671. Reason being, I have two young children who have the uncanny ability to nudge that wheel with their toes when it's the most inconvenient. The 867 on NewEgg is a great deal, but you lose the USB port so to plug in my iPhone I would need a $100 dock that negates the price break. I don't need 2 HDMI outs either, although I'd be lying if I didn't say that sounds intriguing.

So my questions are: if you have the 710, do you love/hate it and why? Is there another brand that even comes close at this price ($599)? I've always preferred Yamaha for A/V but I was looking at Denon's offerings as well.

EDIT: Oh I realized I screwed up the model number in the thread title. I meant RX-A710. Sorry.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It takes quite some time before there's enough users of one specific receiver to get a lot of traffic.

I have noticed that certain models hit popular price vs feature points, and become really popular leading to 100 page threads. Others just don't seem to get much post traffic.

It's almost like this...

Ultra budge models - Little traffic (People who buy these are probably not huge audio hobbyists, if the receiver works, they use it, and don't come here)

Lower mid range - Sometimes a model really seems to capture interest, like the Yamaha RX-667

Higher mid range - At least for Yamaha, lots of times these models don't get much attention; well until they go to closeout prices, then there's lots of interest like the RX-V867

High end models - These are often popular here, because of the sort of people who come here; they often have massive threads, like Yamahas 17xxx/27xx models did, and some Aventage models

I have created a number of Yamaha threads relating to related products, but am not that into it at the moment

You may notice that there's a LOT of similarity across models. Chassis, power supply, software, basic features and operation are often very similar. So read any Aventage thread/new Yamaha model thread and you can learn a lot

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/20885602

It takes quite some time before there's enough users of one specific receiver to get a lot of traffic.

I have noticed that certain models hit popular price vs feature points, and become really popular leading to 100 page threads. Others just don't seem to get much post traffic.

It's almost like this...

Ultra budge models - Little traffic (People who buy these are probably not huge audio hobbyists, if the receiver works, they use it, and don't come here)

Lower mid range - Sometimes a model really seems to capture interest, like the Yamaha RX-667

Higher mid range - At least for Yamaha, lots of times these models don't get much attention; well until they go to closeout prices, then there's lots of interest like the RX-V867

High end models - These are often popular here, because of the sort of people who come here; they often have massive threads, like Yamahas 17xxx/27xx models did, and some Aventage models

I have created a number of Yamaha threads relating to related products, but am not that into it at the moment

You may notice that there's a LOT of similarity across models. Chassis, power supply, software, basic features and operation are often very similar. So read any Aventage thread/new Yamaha model thread and you can learn a lot

I have to concur with you. I've been coming here since 2006 when I bought my PS3 and was "forced" to upgrade/rethink my home theater setup which was originally done in 2002. Kinda makes me wish for bygone days when listening through the TV speakers was more than adequate
Honestly I think the reason why Yamaha doesn't include a printed owner's manual anymore has less to do with saving trees than it does with not trying to overwhelm the end user with information. I recently redid my dad's A/V setup when his 10 year old plasma blew up and he finally had to upgrade everything to HDMI. We went with a recertified Yamaha HTR-5063, Samsung PN51D530A3, LG BD630 and pretty much just plugged in the HDMI and ran the YPAO and that was it. He was happy. I still calibrated the color on his TV but he would've been fine even with those factory settings. Blew my mind that he replaced a $10,000 setup with a $1,000 one and it was still better. This is a fool's game, isn't it?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Two theories I have...

1) When it comes to electronics , less buys you more than it used to. Technology has decreased the cost of manufacture obviously. Integration continues at a fast pace, in a two year timeframe, by comparing service manuals, I noticed a pretty big reduction in chip count from Yamaha.

2) In some ways though, they don't make them like they used to. Was at a museum and saw a phono lathe (used to cut records.) Not sure what year it was, but that thing was built like a tank...amazing; almost brought a tear to my eye it was so beautiful (if you see beauty in machines.)

So we benefit from cheaper products, but the products are meant to be obsolete in a few years...life's like that I guess. You take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI I just ordered the a710 from Amazon. NFM was out of stock and not expecting more until late September. Look forward to putting it through its paces! Can't wait to hear Akira coming through at a true 192khz! Hopefully someone will start a 2011 series AVENTAGE thread so we can all geek out together

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly666 /forum/post/20886818

Why is there no Yamaha RX-VA710 thread?

Hmmm instead of starting a Yamaha RX-VA710 thread you made this.

So my answer to that question must be "because YOU did NOT start any"

Lol. I guess I didn't feel qualified. I always just assumed that the person who started the thread already owned the product but honestly after reading the threads on here I'm realizing that's not always the case. I think it should be however, don't you?

·
Registered
439 Posts
My recommendation is to think through the thread title before starting one. In other words, are the a710 and the a810 close enough to be in the same thread? Is there already an a810 thread?

Also, make sure you get the model number correct in the thread title.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I see someone created a thread. I attempted to add a comparison table to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.