Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm stumped.

Over the past 6 months, I have had "uneven" audio from my Maudio 2496 card. Most often, I got drop outs- particularly with DTS. When the signal would drop, i would have to shut off the receiver (Denon 3300) and turn it back on for the pair to resync. In the course of a film, this usually meant 3-4 restarts with DD, and usually 10+ with DTS before I would give up and just go DD.

I thought, since the power down/up of the receiver "fixed" the problem, that maybe the receiver was at fault. I broke out my old Panasonic RV-80, and it sync'd up with the receiver just fine.

After another few months of problems, I was tinkering around and found that the digital COAX jack on the receiver was damaged. The rca connector seemed to have broken loose from the board and was spinning-- and it required being set in a specific position for audio to work.

"Bingo" I figured, the whole time all the sync problems were being caused by this physically bad connection-- the working RV-80 must have just been luck.

I sent the Denon off to the repair facility and had it fixed. Came back yesterday- and I reconnected the HTPC- and could get no audio. It wouldn't see the digital signal (all the inputs on the DENON are assigned correctly, etc). It had worked on/off previously, but now I've got nothing.

I drug out another set-top player (A Phillips this time)- and again- the DENON sync'd into that unit immediately- and was able to hold the sync with DD and DTS material, no problem.

After some experimentation, I managed to get some Maudio settings together that allowed the receiver to recognize the DD signal, but the moment I switched to DTS, it lost the sync (and would only regain when I returned to HTPC to a dolby stream). I tried more experimentation with settings, and have once again rendered the card silent.

At this point, I have once again lost all audio from the card. The denon will not see any digital audio from the HTPC, no matter the format. The denon has zero problem syncing to other sources, like set top DVD. The HTPC only has coax output, so I have been unable to find out if optical would make any difference.

Can anyone tell me the extact settings for each page in the maudio control panel I should have to get DD/DTS passthrough from TT? I have tried swapping the settings under SPDIF (consumer/professional/etc), and [as said above] only could manage signal for DD, which has now stopped working as well. The TT controls are set to allow SPDIF pass, the multimedia panel in Windows is set to treat the SPDIF as the default output. I have the latest drivers for the card (updated yesterday).

I'm beginning to wonder if the signal isn't just so errored comeing from the Maudio that the denon can't read it. Once in a while it wavers back and forth between analog/digital on the autodetection- but cannot lock to the signal.

I'm considering trying to get a converter to change the HTPC output from COAX to optical as an experiment. I'm also considering taking the PC to a friend's house, and trying to see if his outlaw will sync to the damn thing.

But, I would like to make sure that I have all the control panel settings correct, before I try anything else. I find it funny that while AVS regulars are lamenting the audio quality of the Maudio and looking for cleaner digital output- I'd be happy to get mine to work!

Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vince Maskeeper:

___Here is a repost of mine with a little update for today that should help you out. I am assuming you are using Windows XP but a very similar setup for Windows Millennium works as well …

___Lets go over this from the beginning:

___Download the latest Delta uninstaller as well as M-Audio driver from M-Audio’s Driver search page . You want to choose Delta Audiophile 2496 and Windows XP as your OS of choice and hit the search button. You will come to a page listing the WDM 5.10.0.27’s as well as the latest Uninstaller. Download both of these to your Win XP Driver – M-Audio directory. Use the Uninstaller to remove any remnants of the older Delta driver that you were using. Afterwards, install the latest 5.10.0.27 driver listed above.

___Now to verify and setup the driver and card.

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Sounds and Audio Devices --> Audio tab --> Sound Playback --> Default device: M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF. You have three M-Audio choices here so verify you have chosen the right one. You don’t have to but you can set the Sound Recording and Midi music playback to M-Audio Delta AP S/PDIF and Delta AP Midi respectively as well. While you are in there, you may want to check off Use only default devices. Hit the Apply button and close out of your Sounds and Audio Device Properties by checking Ok afterwards. You are now setup as far as Windows is concerned.

___Now lets get into the M-Audio Mixer …

Start --> Control Panel --> M-Audio Delta H/W: First screen you see will be the Monitor Mixer tab. You want to uncheck/verify unchecked Mute (all 9 of them) in all 5 panels. Next, Check Stereo Link in all 5 panels. Next, slide all mixer sliders to the top.

Now select the Patchbay / Router tab. Under H/W Out ½, verify WavOut ½ is selected. Under H/W Out S/PDIF, verify WavOut S/PDIF is selected.

Now choose the Hardware Settings tab. Master Clock set to Internal Xtal, Codec Sample Rate checked off at 48,000 but it will auto swap as needed depending on the application later. Uncheck Reset Rate when idle. Under MultiTrack Driver Devices, verify Single and In-Synch. Under Variable Signal Levels – Outputs, verify Consumer is radio buttoned. DMA Buffer sizes can be left at default at 384 samples as well as the check mark for disabling Control of the Monitor Mixer and Patchbay/Router by Audio applications.

Now choose the S/PDIF tab: Consumer should be radio buttoned and you can leave it here. This driver is auto switching between PCM and DD/DTS non-audio streams as the application is launched. If you want to force it, radio button Professional, check off Advanced. Under the Consumer Format Advanced Settings-Copy Mode, verify the radio button next to No SCMS is highlighted. Under Emphasis, verify the radio button in front of No SCMS is highlighted. Under Data Type, verify the radio button in front of Non-Audio is selected.

Now choose the About tab and verify it says you are using Driver version: 5.10.00.0027. Click on Done and your ready to go from the driver and card setup stand point.

___Now on to the connections and DD/DTS capable receiver setup …

Verify you are using a std. 75-ohm COAX cable connected to the M-Audio AP2496’s breakout cable --> S/PDIF output only. You will see a small arrow pointing out of the COAX output cable on the one of four cables you are supposed to attach to. Don’t bother with the 2 MIDI In and Outs here of course. Next, connect the other end of the COAX cable to your receiver’s Digital COAX input you choose to use. On your Receiver, setup that particular Digital COAX input for Auto format (if it has this) or DD/DTS if you must do it manually and the Digital signal to the COAX connection that you connected the cable to initially if you have multiple S/PDIF COAX connections.

___Now on to TheaterTek …

Right click on the Immersive splash screen --> Configuration --> Audio tab --> select Card Type: SBLive/2496 and Sample Rate: 48000. Check Off: Enable SP/DIF Passthru and Dialog Normalization if you want. Hit apply and you are set.

___Now on to WinDVD …

Install both DVD Genie 4.05 and WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.6.x, 2.8, 3.2.41 or any other number of WinDVD versions. After the reboot(s) if you must upgrade your WinDVD, follow the same instructions I posted above for enabling S/PDIF: Launch DVDGenie --> WinDVD tab --> More Options --> Audio Mode --> SP/DIF Output. Do not forget to Hit the Apply button. Launch WinDVD and click on the X (properties tab) of the player itself --> Audio Tab --> verify the radio button for Enable S/PDIF output is selected. This is a generic routine for all the SW DVD players in that selecting S/PDIF should be verified in all cases.

___Well, that is about the extent of it. Most of the above settings are default but some are not so check them off in an orderly fashion and you should be fine. A similar setup can be described under Windows 2000 SP2 and Millennium/98 SE if you choose to use those OS’ as well. If none of the above works, I would say something is possibly corrupted in the Windows install or you are using an older VIA chipset …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Vince,

I am having similar problems getting S/PDIF sound through the M-Audio 24/96 card in my new HTPC. I am happy to say that the HTPC dealer (Craig at Cellar Cinemas) has been providing me with excellent support. Just yesterday (May 23), he walked me through everything that Xcel suggested above...yet, I am still unable to get a consistently reliable signal to my Lexicon processor. At this writing, I have no sound at all.

Before those procedures, Craig had me replace my digital audio cable with another 75 ohm assembly I had available. However, the sound drop out continued, which pointed away from the cable as the culprit. He also asked me to check that the card was firmly seated in its slot (it was). At this stage, we feel it is likely a hardware issue: either a bad card (or its included adapter dongle). Our next step is to replace the card/dongle.

I'll be following your progress with interest, and will report on how things are going in my own situation.

On the bright side: The sound, when I heard it, was very good indeed!:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xcel,

Thanks for your post. I'm actually running win98 (if you see my post here , you'll see that I had to give up on 2000 and XP as they refused to network).

Although what you have posted is essentially what I have already done, I will go through it step by step to confirm. However, I hit the first step, and am unable to find an uninstaller on the Maudio site. It doesn't seem to exist.

Any thoughts on where such an application can be found?

-Vince

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vincemaskeeper:

___Hit the Midiman driver search link provided above -->

Select a product: Delta Audiophile 2496

Select an OS: Windows 95/98

Check Off Show previous and BETA versions

Click On Search

___Under Windows Millennium or 95/98, the 6th selection from the top is the latest Delta Uninstaller ver. 1.2. Downlaod it to your storage directory of choice, launch the executable, and away the AP2496 goes …

___Under Windows XP or 2000, the 3rd selection from the top is the latest Delta Uninstaller ver. 1.2. The same is shown for Windows 2000.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
You can get the uninstaller from the Digital Connection supprt site. I'm using the Delta Dio with the 227 drivers on Win98se/TT with no problems connected to my Yamaha RX-V1.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
May just be a compatiblilty issue? I just got rid of a Parasound Pre/Pro that would only work with Aureal cards. MAudio, SB, CMedia would not work correctly no matter what I did. Toslink, coax, didn't matter. I help friends build quite a few PC's and anything other than the Aureal wouldn't work. However, the other cards would work correctly with their midfi receivers. I even bought a Monarchy DIP to see if that would help. It didn't. I finally got PO'd one day and went out and bought a Kenwood Soverign reciever to use as a preamp and it works perfectly with every card I have tried. RIP Aureal.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Vince: Just to piggyback on xcels post, since you and I both use Win98se: In the multimedia Control panel applet, select your m audio card spdif wav out as preferred playback device.

In the m audio applet (driver version 4.1.22.27), monitor mixer tab, unmute all mixer inputs & master volume.

In the patchbay tab, h/w out spdif, select wav out spdif.

In the hardware tab, master clock click internal Xtal. In the codec sample rate I have 96,000 selected, as that's the highest sample rate my Yamaha can support...and I do have reset rate when idle so it reverts back to 96KHz when idle. In multitrack driver devices select single & in-sync. DMA buffer sizes are 20ms and ASIO/EASI 2688 samples per buffer (untouched from default settings).

In the spdif tab, select consumer.

In TT select sb/24/96 as the type of sound card, 48000 sample rate & select sp/dif enabled.

This gives me DD and DTS from TT as well as 96KHz wav playback as well as DTS wav files ripped from DTS CDs and audio from video programs recorded from the Creative video blaster.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after doing the Xcel process, step by step- still the problem remains. I do [did] finally have audio, but the DTS signal drops after about a minute (although, the driver removal and re-install seemed to actually help, as DTS would drop out in 15 seconds previously).

I wan't overly optimistic as the settings were essentially identical to what I had already done- but I had hoped that the uninstall process might be the solution. I did everything as outlined above, except the Latency setting, which after I upgraded to the most recent win98 driver no longer had the 384 samples option. It defaulted to 1056, which is where I left it (and it worked for a while- after it dropped out, I switched it to 336, and it won't work, not will it work when switched back to 1056).

After I got it all done again, and the dropouts continued- I tried juggling the cards in the machine (again). The first config resulted in a non-working NIC - and a second juggle results in the same audio dropouts. I'm using the most recent VIA chipset (VIA Apollo KT266A on the Epox EP-8KHA+).

I tried flashing the bios today- but nothing changed.

After the last audio drop out, I have been unable to regain audio (switching the receiver on/off doesn't work, restarting the player doesn't work)-- audio is once again dead, yet all the setting remain identical to how they were when it did work (save the config as Xcel to be sure).

Since I've had so many endless hardware problems with this system- I'm thinking about sending it to ebay and going intel.

Quote:
May just be a compatibility issue?
Certainly possible- although the Denon will lock to the signal for a period of time, and then lose it. I'm wondering if anyone else has used this combo (given the popularity of both products, I'd be surprised to find that I'm the only Denon 3300-Maudio user.)

This type of signal loss puzzles me, as once it is gone, it is gone. It's not like it is dropping here and there-- I could leave the pair running for the rest of my natural life, and audio will not re-lock once sync is lost. I have to power down the receiver or restart the machine before they will talk again.

This is eerily similar to the NIC problems I had with XP, the card would lose the network and would never work again until it was physically removed from the MOBO and reinstalled.

I'm really beginning to wonder about these M-audio cards. These came recommended by this forum, but in my experience I've had nothing but nightmares, and anyone I've talked to in the pro digital audio field thinks they're junk. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used Echo Audio cards for HTPC SPDIF pass, I have an Echo card in one of my audio editing machines, and its analog output smokes the Maudio. Wondering if it would pass the SPDIF from TT. I would try swapping them out- but the Echo I have has a whole breakout box system that would be a pain to pull and rewire.

I'm planning to try 2 experiments with the Maudio/Denon setup.

1) Going to borrow a coax to optical signal converter box- and see if this can tolerate the MAUDIO signal better than the denon, and supply an Optical feed that the Denon could tolerate. Probably send my jitter figures through the roof- but right now I'd be happy to have audio.

2) Going to pull the PC and try a friend's outlaw receiver. Maybe if the combo works It will be the straw that pushes me to buy the new Outlaw Pre/Pro.

Quote:
DMA buffer sizes are 20ms and ASIO/EASI 2688 samples per buffer (untouched from default settings).
I don't see these settings. Other than those, my config is exactly as outlined- but I can't get audio, and when I do it works for a few minutes and then dies.

-Vince

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Vince:

I thought I had read something in the past about issues with the M Audio cards and the VIA chipsets...something you might want to investigate.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
I thought I had read something in the past about issues with the M Audio cards and the VIA chipsets...something you might want to investigate.
Did a search, and found a few of Xcel's posts asking those who complained about stutters if they were using VIA chipsets and mentioning possible conflict-... and found some which alluded to a problem with older VIA chipsets (Via KX 133T), but not a specific post outlining what the problem is and what chipset is effected.

Any post that outlined a problem, seemed to be specifically "stuttering"- which doesn't seem to be my problem. But, it looks like everyone who had AMD problems solved them with an Intel board- so I'm really leaning that way. Wonder what I can get on ebay for this board and XP processor.

In addition to my 2 experiments listed above, I think I'll also try:

3) Bypassing TT with a wav file playback and see if I can get a steady lock on a long file.

4) Considered trying the same with an AC-3 file/ DTS file apart from TT- but since I don't know how to rip them or play them back, I'd need someone to provide me with one and tell me what to use to play it.

-Vince

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vincemaskeeper:

___Now we know you own a VIA chipset, I am sorry you had to fight that HTPC incompatibility battle … If you cannot separate the irq’s by placing your M-Audio card in PCI slot 3 or 4 all by its lonesome, use the latest drivers and detune the DMA latency somewhat … Here is another relevant post that helps my own sons VIA KT266A based HTPC run DTS discs with an M-Audio AP2496 in particular:

Hi xxxxxxx:

___ …

___To receive non-stuttering DTS audio using the M-Audio cards on a VIA chipset, I had to up the DMA Buffer size latency to 512 - 784 samples using the latest 5.10.00.0026’s in the M-Audio control panel --> HW settings tab. I have not heard nor seen this problem under any I850 to date but this adjustment may just help you and your I850 as well.

___As with all VIA chipset equipped solutions, YMMV and I wish you the bet of luck. If the above two last ditch effort tricks don’t work, might I suggest that you purchase a HQ I815EP-B, I845-D/E/G, or later I850 chipset with the appropriate Intel CPU and your problems will disappear …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
If you cannot separate the irq’s by placing your M-Audio card in PCI slot 3 or 4 all by its lonesome, use the latest drivers and detune the DMA latency somewhat
3 cards: Maudio, Linksys NIC, TV tuner card.

6 Slots, btu I only ever use 2, 4, 6.

Every possible combination of these 3 cards in slots 2, 4, 6 has been used, repeatedly.

When it was last left, the TV was in 2, Nic in 4, and Maudio in 6. I went downstairs to double check the Latency settings and found that the NIC card had lost track of the network (big f-ing surprise, since I've been plagued by this problem for months). I pulled all the cards, and replaced just the Maudio into slot 4-- same problems.

I added the NIC to slot 6, still audio problems.

I played around with some MP3 files (switched the spdif setting to audio)- and the denon locked to them just fine. It played the song without issue, and would not lose sync unless i fiddled with the audio format buttons on the denon (i.e. if I switched it to DTS, it would lose lock, and switching it back to auto or PCM would not re-sync).

I did notice in fooling around that clicking the Maudio control anel to 96k immediately kicked the Denon into 96k Direct mode, as it showed on the display (even if no file was playing). So the denon seems to be monitoring the incoming digital signal, but cannot hold an actual lock for some reason.

I went ahead and set the MP3 files to loop, and came upstairs to type out a reply. The song looped 2-3 times, and only recently did I hear it shut off-- so it seems to ahve lost sync on this file as well. This is a good thing to know, as it bypasses TT and means that the problem exists with PCM data as well.

Quote:
I had to up the DMA Buffer size latency to 512 - 784 samples
At this point I have used every single one of the latency settings in the contol panel- andhave gotten no change in the problem. The default seems to be 1056, but no matter how high or low I go- the audio is spotty, and it is nearly impossible to get the Denon to sync. When it does sync, it loses the lock within a few minutes, and never regains it.

At this point, I'd be happy to just determine if it is the Mobo, the Card or the receiver which is as "fault". I'd hate to replace on the the items, only to have the problems continue (although I'm leaning towards the Mobo or Chipset, since I have so many problems with NIC cards as well).

At times, certain elements point to the Denon being the problem (namely the fact that turning it on/off seems to get it to resync, while leaving it on, it never resyncs. If the signal is clean enough to sync to after being restarted, then why couldn't it lock to it previously? This seems to point to the Denon as the weak link).

At other times, symptoms point to the Card as the problem (The fact that the Denon has no issues syncing and locking to a standalone dvd player, and that often when the audio would work, I would hear slight digital aliasing on some material, making me think the Denon was getting crappy digits).

And sometimes, I think it is the Mobo/Chipset (Endless PCI hardware problems with NIC cards and XP/2000, slightly staggered video pans when the system has more than enough horsepower).

This stuff is just really frustrating to me, as it remonds me that computer problems often cannot be adequately diagnosed, even by "experts". In the case of my network problem, I had 3 "professional" IT people here, and none of them could come up with a logical reason for what was happening. I'm just fine with the solution of "replce this item"- however, if no one could offer a real reason that make logical sense for why it is the problem- it brings me much frustration. In the case of this audio drop out issue, I keep getting hung up on the fact that the receiver and card cannot ever resync after sync is lost. If this were a simple cable issue or similar problem, the signal would return once the signal strength returned- however it doesn't.

So, I guess I'm just planning to replace something- and I guess I have to sit down and determine what. Guess my experiments with the optical converter and the outlaw receiver will dictate my next move.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vince Maskeeper:

___Not to beat a dead horse but the VIA chipset and a professional level audio card is the largest incompatibility in the HTPC build arena. I try to warn everyone away from them as the hassle you are having (maybe 40 – 60 hours so far) are not worth the $50.00 or whatever you save on that POS chipset in any of its later forms vs. an all “Intel†inside from the LX – latest I845-G. That is unless your time is worth $1.00 per hour ;) Intel has designed their chipsets with the lowest latency and properly for our uses over at least the last 6 years whereas the VIA chipset has never quite got it right for HTPC uses all the way up to the latest KT266A. I am not even going to waste my money on a KT333 to see if it works unless someone wants one … Tough to say they will with SiS645DX’s and I845 D/E/G’s with 1.6A’s kicking the H3$$ out of any VIA/AMD offering in 90% of the benches available currently …

___Secondly, considering you are using what sounds to be a considerable investment in audio gear, why not bite the bullet and spend $250.00 on a HQ list of HTPC HW. I am sure you already have some of the HW including a Radeon and M-Audio card. Just surround it with other HQ HW and your problems will go away. Unless your Denon is FUBAR which I doubt. The problems you listed are not new. They are a part of the AMD/VIA problem and even with all the tricks I have passed on, they work for me with KT133’s through the KT266A’s but they do not work for everyone. Guess which HTPC builds I have had returned for repair more than once … You got it, those damn KT133A’s that the end users insisted on even with my reluctance to build them.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but the VIA chipset and a professional level audio card is the largest incompatibility in the HTPC build arena.
It's funny that you say that- because I've run all AMD engine VIA based boards with waaaaaay higher end product than Maudio (Echo, MOTU, and have never had a problem. I guess it is just the issue of digital pass through, which you'd think would be the easiest part. LOL!

Quote:
That is unless your time is worth $1.00 per hour
Well, as a college student with resonable budgets- I always prefer to sepnd a little extra tie rather than money- since my time is the only resource I have direct control over. That said, obviously this issue has gone on far too long- I still fear replacing the board because (knowing my luck) the problems will continue. But, I'm out of options...

So what's your suggestion on a I845-G based Mobo (I assume this is an Intel chipset as you alluded in your posts) and a decent place to find affordable Pentium based processing (running DDR so I can retain my current chips)? Is the MSI 845G as mentioned in the "Best In Class" post still a good solution?

I'm a neophyte when it comes to the Intel stuff, processors and chipsets- so any guidance would be good guidance.

I might have to borrow the Echo MIA cards I recently bought for friends, just to see if TT will pass Spdif to them, it might be a welcome option for folks looking for something beyond the Maudio.

-Vince

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vince Maskeeper:

___This may go OT for quite a few of you so please just toss this post as garbage if you find it the least bit off the wall …

___As far as a great P4 based board; there are problems with all of them for us enthusiasts but hardly a peep/problem for those running std. low frequency (non-OC’ed and up to 2.40/2.53 GHz at std. clocks and supported busses) Northwood’s and Willamette’s …

___The Asus P4S533 (SiS 645DX chipset) is missing an AGP/PCI frequency lock and especially above 133 MHz although I am hoping a BIOS update will give me one since the less stellar Gigabyte and MSI boards using the 645 and 645DX chipset respectively have them. The MSI and Gigabyte boards based on these chipsets are having teething problems with the OC’ing/High frequency side of the equation from my reads. If this board receives a BIOS update with these particular locks, it would be my “Best in Class†value P4 board hands down.

___The P4B533 (Intel I845E chipset) is not only a bit expensive but its asynchronous mode memory dividers appear to be missing above 133 MHz. MSI has no AGP/PCI lock after 133 MHz but may be automatic and the Gigabyte boards appear to be pretty flaky at high clocks with either spontaneous reboots and/or cold boot problems.

___The Epox 4G4A + (Intel I845G chipset) is missing the 4-prong P4 power connector and appears to be having problems at higher clock speeds because of the missing and Intel spec’ed alternate 12 V power plug. The Abit boards including possibly all 845’s and all 850’s appear to be using lower quality Clock Generators for the memory controllers which give less stability at higher FSB’s and OC’s. The MSI G’s are still missing those AGP/PCI locks above 133 MHz as the 845E’s are. The Asus P4B533-V’s appear to be missing the needed memory dividers above 133 MHz FSB …

___In other words, if you are a non-enthusiast, the P4B533-V would be a very good choice but a very expensive one as well. The MSI 845G MAX is probably less stable in maximum stress conditions (OC’s/high frequency CPU’s for future consideration) but at stock clocks offer a very good value. I have read to many threads in the tech forums in regards to the Gigabyte boards and cold boot problems. The Epox boards are going to have problems when you upgrade to 2.7 – 3.0 + GHz P4’s into the future because of the missing 12 V power plug of the Intel reference designs and specs. The Abit’s appear to be using lower quality memory clock generators than the Asus boards but I have not received confirmation of this. The I850’s have what appears to be problems while using Rambus 1066 at ~ equal or higher than 133/533 MHz Quad Pumped FSB’s. Intel is warning every one us of the PC1066 problems with a non-supported memory spec in all the latest I850-E based boards as something is not passing the Intel Quality Labs compatibility tests …

___In final, sorry to all for moving OT with this but Vince asked for an M-Audio compatible solution and the VIA chipsets simply aren’t. The only problem with the P4 chipsets is which one is best given the many 645DX/845 E/G/850E releases in the last 4 weeks. I cannot guarantee any of the above P4 information is exact since I spent the last three days looking over literally thousands of posts in the tech forums at Anandtech, Hard OCP, OC Workbench, Overclockers, and Tom’s HW, to sort and digest all the minor information made available from those that have purchased all of the above boards recently. Again, I am on the search for the “Best in Class†P4 board as well but am not sure we have one just yet.

___By the way, I have small issues with the C-Media based onboard Digital solutions for DTS playback in particular on the KT266A as well so it is not just an M-Audio problem …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
The MSI 845G MAX is probably less stable in maximum stress conditions (OC’s/high frequency CPU’s for future consideration) but at stock clocks offer a very good value.
Sounds like the plan, as I don't intend to overclock. Just looking for a rock solid platform, and all I run off the machine is Dscaler and TT. The 845G MAX L looks like a decent value if it is relatively stable at stock clocks.

So my only remaining question is in regard to Processors. Is everything that is Socket 478 P4 compatible? I know AMD had some issues with their Thunderbird processors being the same slot type as the older Athlons- but were different FSB, so the MOBOs for one wouldn't support the other.

I saw a 1.6g P4 (BX80532PC1600D) on newegg for $153, it is the right slot type and lists 400mhz bus speed. Just wanting to confirm what spec I need to look at to insure MOBO compatibility.

I checked the MSI site under CPU Support for that MOBO and got "Nothing or Database Server Down, Please Contect Stuipd System Administrator."

-Vince

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Vince Maskeeper:

___Given both the Willamette and Northwood socket 478 chips will work in all these boards, make sure you are purchasing a true 512 KB cache equipped Northwood. The 1.6A in particular is legendary in the OC circles because without much more than a bump up of the FSB, most will make it to 2.133 [email protected] 133/533 MHz Quad Pp’ed FSB. My own has been running at 2.4 GHz on a 150 MHz FSB at default voltage (I have had it up to 2560 MHz at default as well but the Radeon 7200 displays artifacts and that is why I am looking for the AGP/PCI lock ;)) on an Asus P4S533 for ~ a month. I had 1 application crash last week (IE on a java scripted DB) which could come from a poorly setup page and other than that, it has the ~ same reliability I have seen in any number of BX, 815, 845, and 850 based boards in the last three years for simple bench runs and everyday SW apps like typing this post as well as the occasional DVD.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:

Took HTPC to a friends house, hooked to Outlaw 1050 receiver- sync'd perfectly without a single issue. Watched 2 episodes of Twin Peaks in DTS, not a single drop out or audio artifact throughout the entire performance.

Maudio with VIA chipset seemed to pass signal the Outlaw found readily acceptible.

So, it seems that the Denon will sync to anything but the HTPC and the HTPC will sync to anything but the Denon. Ugh.

I'm thinking of ditching the Intel plan and dropping some bucks into a new receiver- as I have a hunch that the Denon is the "issue"- or more specifically that replacing it will likely be the solution.

-Vince

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.