AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I've heard regarding PS3 games in 1080p, suggests that while nice, it's nothing to write home about. That the difference is actually pretty minor in comparison with 720p or 1080i, But shouldn't this be a night a day difference from 720p? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with 720p you get like 900,000 pixels and with 1080p you get 2,000,000 pixels. That's a little more than double. When I first heard about the PS3 supporting 1080p, I figured that the difference with 1080p would be absolutely jaw dropping, and very significant. Like a night and day difference. 2 million pixels is a helluva lot more than 900,000. Why isn't the difference much greater?

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/0

Everything I've heard regarding PS3 games in 1080p, suggests that while nice, it's nothing to write home about. That the difference is actually pretty minor in comparison with 720p or 1080i, But shouldn't this be a night a day difference from 720p? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with 720p you get like 900,000 pixels and with 1080p you get 2,000,000 pixels. That's a little more than double. When I first heard about the PS3 supporting 1080p, I figured that the difference with 1080p would be absolutely jaw dropping, and very significant. Like a night and day difference. 2 million pixels is a helluva lot more than 900,000. Why isn't the difference much greater?

what resolution are you using yourself?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf /forum/post/0

what resolution are you using yourself?

Personally, I'm using both 720p and 1080i. I don't have a 1080p myself, but I did see Ridge Racer 7 running in 1080p at a friends house, and I wasn't very impressed at all. I was expecting to be super jealous, and it just didn't look all that amazing to me. In fact, it was a big letdown.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:

The difference you notice is directly effected by the size of the screen. I could show you a 1" screen and tell you there's a billion pixels and to your eyes it would look exactly the same as if it had a million pixels. This is because at that size the human eye can't discern the additional pixels.

What size was the 1080p TV that you saw?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Same here.. friend of mine has a JVC 1080P set, and I have a Sony 1080i/720p.. Comparing the GTHD demo from 1080i that I run on my tv to the 1080p on his.. I wasnt floored like I thought I would be. Granted this wasnt side by side, but it still wasnt as jaw dropping as I was expecting. I dunno maybe a side by side would show me the difference. Just havent seen enough of a difference to go buy a new set..Considering I just spent 2K on mine a lil over a year ago..LOL

EDIT: We both have 50" sets. I have read you'll see difference on bigger sets

Quote:

Personally, I'm using both 720p and 1080i. I don't have a 1080p myself, but I did see Ridge Racer 7 running in 1080p at a friends house, and I wasn't very impressed at all. I was expecting to be super jealous, and it just didn't look all that amazing to me. In fact, it was a big letdown.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:

It was a 50 inch Samsung

That's pretty small to try and notice a big difference. You would have to be something like 3 ft away to appreciate it.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe14 /forum/post/0

1080p is just a sales gimmick. In most settings 720p or 1080i is all a person can perceive.

Depends on the frame rate. 1080P/60 looks a bit better than 1080I/60 but the difference isn't night and day. It really is difficult to see the difference unless you have a very big screen.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Still, I keep coming back to the 2 million pixel thing. You would think that slightly more than double the pixels would be a huge deal, especially for games. For movies and videos, I can see the difference not being as noticeable, but for games, you would think it would be a dramatic difference. You would think the difference would be at least as great as going from 480p to 720p.

I also have a 131 inch 16:9 screen in my Garage, I'm currently using a Mitsubishi HD1000u projector which happens to be a 720p DLP projector, so I guess I'm going to have to wait until I can afford a 1080p DLP Projector and then use it with a huge 9 foot wide screen before I actually see any appreciable differences. Kindof a bummer, cause I was thinking about upgrading to a 1080p rear projection for the living room, but if the difference is so minute, then the heck with it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Well in my case I am looking forward to upgrading to a 1080P front projector so I can sit closer to the screen without seeing the pixel structure. Currently I have a 768P projector and a 8' wide screen. I have stadium seats, with the first row at 9.5' from the screen and the second row at 14.5' from the screen. I see pixel structure in the front row but not the back row. So in my case its not the game resolution that is my main concern, its upgrading to 1080P and getting the 2 million pixels so I don't see the pixel structure in the front row.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but even if 1080i has less pixels each frame your eye still sees 1,080 lines of resolution each frame (or at least it thinks it does).

I guess 1080p should produce a smoother image, but at higher resolutions, the difference in sharpness and clarity is minimal.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Most current HD displays are progressive. CRT's and a very few plasmas are still interlaced.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mapstone /forum/post/0

Well in my case I am looking forward to upgrading to a 1080P front projector so I can sit closer to the screen without seeing the pixel structure. Currently I have a 768P projector and a 8' wide screen. I have stadium seats, with the first row at 9.5' from the screen and the second row at 14.5' from the screen. I see pixel structure in the front row but not the back row. So in my case its not the game resolution that is my main concern, its upgrading to 1080P and getting the 2 million pixels so I don't see the pixel structure in the front row.

Party at Will's House!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
To effectively double the resolution of a set you need 4 times the number of pixels.

Lets assume for the sake of argument you have tv that is 160 pixels by 90 pixels. That is 14400 pixels. If you double the resolution it would be 320 by 180 pixels that is 57600 pixels. 4 times the number of pixels, not double. Not unlike a digital camera, in that a 10 mp camers is not twice the resolution of a 5mp camera.

Kestin

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I use a 720p projector and a 106" screen. I also have a 50" 720p HDTV. It can be hard to notice the difference between a dvd (480p) and HDTV on the 50" screen unless you really look for it or know what to look for and that is with only 720p resolution. At 106", the difference becomes more obvious.

I believe that you are better off with very high quality textures in a game than with resolution for resolution's sake. Old SDTV is only 480i and if we could play games that looked that lifelike, we would probably be in heaven. Resolution isn't everything.

I will upgrade to 1080p at some point but I am in no rush to do so.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Honestly the discovery channel has some of the best HD i've seen to date, not the BD disks I've watched. Discovery broadcasts most shows in 1080i and the picture is amazing.

I think the major reason it looks so good is for one, its usually underwater shots or beautiful scenery and two its the type of film they are using(?).

Whatever discovery does to make their shows look so good, I wish movie makers would do the same.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The idea of 1080p, along with other technologies such as HDMI 1.3, has a value of diminishing returns associated with it. Is a television with 1080p and HDMI 1.3 better? Theoretically, yes. Realistically, who knows. You may see a difference, but whether or not it is worth the price increase will differ on a case to case basis.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Some random stuff to keep in mind when considering these types of things:

1) the native resolution of your display (not just the signal you feed it). A 1080p native display will deinterlace a 1080i input and display it progressively, it will scale a 720p input (as will most external devices with the exception of the PS3 - in general most external devices provide better scaling than televisions). A 720p native display will toss out resolution by scaling down 1080 based material.

2) the quality of the material, 1080p pong is 1080p pong. Maybe the edges are a tad sharper but you feed it square blocks and you get sharp square blocks (there is no magic here). As was said above 480i broadcast television looks pretty darn lifelike and generally better than any video game thusfar at infinitely higher resolutions though perhaps not as sharp on edges. It's not all about resolution by any stretch of the imagination.

3) realize that marketers are there to create the next hype to sell you the next product. There are very few revolutionary changes although certainly HD is one of them as are non-CRT based displays. Beyond that it's largely baby steps that are amplified by marketers to sound like a jet breaking the sound barrier.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.