AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a svs pb1000 sub. It is set up with my dad's old Marantz receiver and my Monitor Audio Silver 3i bookshelf speakers while his speakers are off being repaired. According to SVS I have sub properly connected to the receiver's B speaker connections. I initially set the crossover at 60 per SVS website recommendation and after speaking with them raised it to about 75. I have listened to Holst's "Planets/Mars", Queen's "We will rock you/ champions", and some big band jazz. I am unlikely to be listening to much "bassier" music than those pieces. It does sound slightly better with the sub on, but the difference is very slight. Turning up the volume results in a hum from the sub but very little difference in the bass. Reversing phase seems to crisp up the sound, which may be my imagination, but no difference in volume/intensity of bass. Others seem to have problems with boomy bass/ dead zones but I'm getting pretty much nothing at all. I know these speakers are rated down to 45 Hz but keep reading that they are unlikely to go that low.

I have moved around the room and differences are minor. This is a carpeted 12x14x8 ft room with all doors closed. It ought to be really loud. What am I doing wrong? I am about ready to send it back but keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. Either that or these bookshelf speakers with a 5 1/2" woofer are rather better than expected.

All advice appreciated. I'm running out of time to return.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What have you tried already? It could be a number of things.

Edit: I'd be willing to bet its the output at the receiver (wrong one)...

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Until you take some measurements, it could be anything. Get a cheap SPL meter, disconnect the speakers, and run some sweeps. If you have a computer with a decent sound input, use Room Equalization Wizard, some free software, to help you determine the problem.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcksnssn  /t/1523712/why-isnt-my-sub-making-a-difference-in-bass#post_24514582

According to SVS I have sub properly connected to the receiver's B speaker connections..
That's what I find suspect. With an old receiver that doesn't have an LFE output one usually runs the L/R speaker wires to the speaker level sub inputs, then connecting the L/R speakers to the speaker outputs on the sub amp. I can't say if your sub has that ability. If it doesn't, and the receiver has tape ins/outs, then the best arrangement is to use an electronic crossover. It would take its inputs from the tape send, outputting the highs back into the receiver tape returns, the lows to the sub.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies. Hate to be slow, but don't understand a couple of the replies. I bought a sound meter, but have to dig up a cable to connect it to my stereo. Then have to figure out what a "sweep" is.

RE: " I'd be willing to bet its the output at the receiver (wrong one)..." huh???????????

RE: the suggestion to run speaker wires to sub, then to speakers: I don't see connections to do that on the back, but am not sure what I should be looking for. The guy at SVS said that using the B speaker connections works fine, although it may be a little harder to balance. Any input appreciated. I have both left and right B speaker connections running to speaker level inputs on sub.

RE: the music: I can believe that the big band stuff might not show a big difference, but can't believe that Holst's "Mars Bringer of War" from the planets wouldn't. It is full of bass instruments and timpani. I used the Queen CD per recommendations from several people on this and other websites. I also purchased a test CD from Bass Mekanik but since it came with no instructions and the website won't let me sign in to get them, I have no idea how to use. I've sent an email, but no response so far.

RE: What does it mean to run the sub hot?

If it helps, my Monitor Audio speakers have 5 1/2" C-CAM bass/mid drivers and are front ported. Their frequency response is supposed to be 45Hz-25kHz. I have no idea if this is accuracte. They run at 8ohms, 88dB sensitivity.

If stuff like Queen, Holst, etc. doesn't cause sub to kick in, then I suspect I'd be better off spending my funds on better bookcase speakers.I don't want loud, boomy stuff, just richer, fuller sound and I would prefer not to go to floorstanders if can avoid. However, several people I know who are really into music and know the type I like say the sub should make a big difference with my current speakers.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcksnssn  /t/1523712/why-isnt-my-sub-making-a-difference-in-bass#post_24515938

several people I know who are really into music and know the type I like say the sub should make a big difference with my current speakers.
It should. Another method of hooking it up is direct via your tape outs, but doing that without an electronic crossover means that there's no high pass filtering of the signal to the mains, and it's critical to do that for best results. You also won't have simultaneous control of the volume of the mains and sub, an electronic crossover will do that, in effect replacing the volume control on the receiver. Of course, the best option is an x.1 receiver.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Unless your AVR can output over both a and b at the same time it won't work.

The proper way to do it is like bill said. Run your left rights to the sub and from the sub go your speakers. If the sub can't do this then you need a different sub or a receiver made in this century.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Can you share the make/model # of your Marantz receiver? And perhaps a good picture of the back?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts