AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something that continues to irk me like fire ants biting my a$$.
I don't want to buy the 3-fer pack. I want to buy ala carte, as I wish. ST II has its own release, which is completely understandable and obligatory. Undiscovered Country also gets its own release, and I understand that (haven't bought it, though). Also, ST First Contact gets a release, which makes perfect sense.

ST IV, I don't really get other than it made the cut by a hair on the list of quintessential ST titles. It's a decent movie, but hardly quintessential, imo. What escapes me is how it could possibly make the list ahead of ST III. Understandably it had serious trouble with pacing, but it really should be a part of the quintessential releases collection, just for the crucial events that unfold in that installment.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can buy that (no pun intended), but I have trouble reconciling how ST IV then makes the list. Does it really stand out that well on its own, when it comes to the ST fan or the mainstream? It's a preachy tale about whale preservation. What demographic is breaking down doors to see that particular ST movie?

ST III may not be a barn burner in the series, but for anybody who is a Spock fan, it is an essential piece to complement ST II.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I am surprised. I thought it was Ok, but I never would expect mainstream audiences would make any notable distinction of it over any other ST movie.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
The rule has always been the even numbered Star trek. But I dont think that rule work for the next generation films.

1st = The slow motion picture

2nd = Excellent what a Star trek movie should be.

3rd = The movie really never takes of until its over. Somehow the title spoils the movie.

4th = Funny, with some classic scenes(hello computer)

5th = Really lacks a traditional villian

6th = Reminds me the most of the second movie.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/18132523

Did you not get the memo about these releases being trash?

The one written by rabid screenshot fanatics?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
So far I own and have watched

Wrath of Khan

First Contact

Nemesis

Wrath of Khan and Nemesis looks fine.

But First contact wasnt in acceptable quality. Spaceship scenes looks fine but facial scenes does show that something was tampered with. So any Star trek release worse then First contact Im gonna stay away from.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/18132594

No, the one written by me who wasted his time renting them from Netflix. And please get off your anti-screenshot kick. Until you can show me one example where a disc looks different than its screenshots then you are just blowing smoke.

Just ignore him, he's the one person on the planet who thinks those releases are good. Not worth anyone's time.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/18132679

So far I own and have watched

Wrath of Khan

First Contact

Nemesis

Wrath of Khan and Nemesis looks fine.

But First contact wasnt in acceptable quality. Spaceship scenes looks fine but facial scenes does show that something was tampered with. So any Star trek release worse then First contact Im gonna stay away from.

you should rent VI: TUC. Madame Tussaud version.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
If its just a wellmade movie we usually forget the faults of the story. Generations was more an idea(lets bring Kirk back) in search of a story.

I think First contact, Insurrection and Nemesis are all excellent Star trek movies.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My problem with the next gen movies is Picard's character. In order to make him more of a action star I guess, they deviated too much from the cerebral character established in the show. Personally I don't the next gen crew was as suitable for big screen action as the original cast.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/18132075

This is something that continues to irk me like fire ants biting my a$$.
I don't want to buy the 3-fer pack. I want to buy ala carte, as I wish. ST II has its own release, which is completely understandable and obligatory. Undiscovered Country also gets its own release, and I understand that (haven't bought it, though). Also, ST First Contact gets a release, which makes perfect sense.

ST IV, I don't really get other than it made the cut by a hair on the list of quintessential ST titles. It's a decent movie, but hardly quintessential, imo. What escapes me is how it could possibly make the list ahead of ST III. Understandably it had serious trouble with pacing, but it really should be a part of the quintessential releases collection, just for the crucial events that unfold in that installment.

What do you all think?

In my opinion, I would not bother purchasing any of the original Trek films except Khan (note - I have not seen any of the NG except for Nemisis which did look solid). Rent the originals. They are DNR'd, EE'd POS that have the look of 720p video cam. Save your hard earned money for when these are re-released and remastered.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX /forum/post/18132580

The one written by rabid screenshot fanatics?

The Proof is in the pudding and even in "Motion" the waxfest cannot be attributed wholly to make-up or cinematography.

I'm sure III will eventually get an individual release but it comes down to popularity.

Best Regards

KvE

PS And what is film other than a series of still images being observed in rapid succession?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 /forum/post/18133491

Just ignore him, he's the one person on the planet who thinks those releases are good. Not worth anyone's time.

Please. I just don't subscribe to the hyperbolic nonsense posts people are making. "Horrible!" "Worst ever!" You'd think the Haiti earthquake was nothing compared to what people say here about these discs.

If you think a non-DNR version is going to look better then look at the cable HD rips floating around out there. They are out and out terrible.

These films will never look to what you think they will look. Can they look better? Maybe. But they will *never* meet your standard of "good".

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
The fact these can look noticeably better is directly evident on the disc itself. Take Star Trek III, for example. There are several moments where the DNR is evidently turned off - the image suddenly becomes more detailed, film grain visible, more natural and film-like. It's similar to the same "tease" of watching Gladiator vs the extended scenes which look better. I think eric.exe posted some screenshots of this regarding ST III and this is just as noticeable during actual viewing based on my experience.

It's really ashamed because its obvious the film elements of these movies were in very good shape. There was just far too much DNR (and to a lesser extent, too much EE).

·
Registered
577 Posts
Why isn't Star Trek III special enough to have an individual release?

In my book, it certainly is, since it remains my all-time favorite STAR TREK film. I'm always flummoxed and flabbergasted that I appear to be the only fan who feels this way, since everything we truly care about, all that really matters at the core of STAR TREK, the bonds of love and humanity that bind this crew together, was never brought to the forefront as clearly and centrally as it was in this film. Viva la SEARCH FOR SPOCK!

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/18134378

I'm always flummoxed and flabbergasted that I appear to be the only fan who feels this way, since everything we truly care about, all that really matters at the core of STAR TREK, the bonds of love and humanity that bind this crew together

Naa, I just wanna see Starships giving each other some broadsides.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.