AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I saw it yesterday. Not only is it amusing, but it is mostly right. And, unfortunately, so is the premise, that movies "suck." In the article he talks about people being hard on critics for not liking more movies. In my opinion lately they have been giving too many movies a pass.

SMK

·
23,039 Posts
Good article. This cracked me up:

"The upcoming “Red Dawn” remake just digitally switched the villains from Chinese to North Koreans. The North Korean army couldn’t conquer the Purdue football dorm, much less the entire center of the country. How convincing a movie is that going to be? If they’re going to do a comedy, they might as well go all the way and imagine the heartland being ransacked by Luxembourgian paratroopers."

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Someone asked me why they were licensing the rights to the Battleship game for the movie. Page 4 under "marketing sucks" is the answer. Brand awareness.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
It all boils down to the audience. Loved this all too true segment:

"If the crowds demand cinematic Funyuns, someone is going to produce them, and get rich in the process. Audiences get stuck on “No Strings Attached,” go with “Just Go With It” and sail away on “Stranger Tides” at “World’s End.” You want better movies? Be a better audience."

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
And a rip on my 49ers Alex Smith. Sweet!

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooperscooper /forum/post/20766002

good article. This cracked my up:

"the upcoming red dawn remake just digitally switched the villains from chinese to north koreans. The north korean army couldn't conquer the purdue football dorm, much less the entire center of the country. How convincing a movie is that going to be? If they're going to do a comedy, they might as well go all the way and imagine the heartland being ransacked by luxembourgian paratroopers."

+1:d

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
And no bad films were made in previous decades?

You could make the same argument about music, TV, etc. People look back at the past with nostalgia, and ignore the crap from back then too. I'm in my 50's and still can enjoy modern film, music, television, etc. I don't live in the past. I guess that's why most of my friends are much younger than me. I no illusions of how much better it used to be.

Art

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I think the article should have put "* You Suck" first as without the revenue, none of the other excuses come into play.

Having said that, I don't confuse the phrase "I didn't like it" with "the movie sucks", my ego isn't that big.

People are paying to see them. Either they are being forced, they like them or are willingly seeing movies they don't like. I would bet on a mixture of the latter two choices.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I look at it this way. Not everybody can have a degree in the arts, let alone take a course in film appreciation. But I think things have changed. Although we've always had pop culture going back to the Dark Ages (and before), I think we can agree the unwashed masses have given up trying to take art, music, etc. to the next level and simply wallowing in mediocrity presented to them. Please...somebody point out I'm full of crap and give me an example where things are improving because I'm personally not feeling it.

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
If you look just at the box office, I would partially agree. However each and every year people are complaining about how "this year is awful for movies", and every same year I am constantly experiencing new and amazing films.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I'm not quite as jaded as "99% of everything is crap" - maybe closer to 90%. But even then, not everyone would agree on what 10% constitutes the 10% that isn't crap. I liked Transformers for example. And Transformers 2.

I'm fine with 90% of movies being crap, because I still find 10% that I enjoy - that's why I'm here at AVS: I like movies (some of them). Fortunately, enough movies are constantly churned out that 10% of the total is still a pretty good number to keep me occupied.

Sadly, The Smurfs Movie apparently tied for first in box office receipts over the weekend. Someone apparently thought that wasn't part of the 90%. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 /forum/post/20766991

I think we can agree the unwashed masses have given up trying to take art, music, etc. to the next level and simply wallowing in mediocrity presented to them.

I agree.

The good movies that are made are good in spite of the system, not because of it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't get me wrong. I love my movies but the majority are for entertainment purposes...pure and simple. There are, however, only a few that I cherish. These are the ones that touch me on an emotional, almost spiritual level. In their own way, they call out to your altruistic side (does that make sense?) Wish they were more the rule than the exception.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 /forum/post/20767793

That's because the system is broken, not the artists wanting to use it.

The system is geared towards making money, which it does. It's up to the artists to make it work for them. Some can, most can't.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Fair enough, although it's always been broken about making money. It just happens to be particularly good at being broken making money right now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.