AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched high and low for the answer to this but have not found one yet.

How exactley is the image from a 1.85:1 movie (one "enhanced for widescreen TVs") made to fit a 16:9 HD set with no black bars on top or bottom? I'm assuming they are chopping the sides of the film off, or is there some other film process that I'm not aware of. also, does anyone know if it is at all possible to watch these films in their OAR on a 16:9 set.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had asked this same question a while ago. Apparently most sets have a 1-2% overscan on all sides, which amounts to just enough so that you don't see what would be very tiny bars on the top and bottom. I think some sets allow you to adjust or turn off overscan. Any 1080p sets that have Dot by Dot mode essentially negate the overscan. Otherwise, you are missing just a very small amount on all sides.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yup, you're right. Most tv setups are designed to chop a bit off of all sides. Hooray for crappy tv specs.

I have a 42" lcd with a native 1920x1080 pixel screen. This particular set will let me send it a 1920x1080 signal from a PC and will not overscan or alter the picture. When I watch DVDs through the PC, the entire image is displayed. On 1.85 movies, there is about a half an inch on the top and bottom. Some movies will have even slightly larger bars and tiny bars on the sides too. There is not an exact way each studio puts out their titles. But I assume the slightly window boxed titles were done to correct for overscan on tv sets.

It's hard to believe its 2007 and we still have all these discrepensies between tvs, computers, computer monitors, consumer video devices and such. I am thrilled that for the larger sets, they decided to do the 1920x1080 resolution instead of the 1920x1200 PC resolution, which I was afraid was going to happen. I'm still not sure how the PC resolution seems to have overtaken the smaller set market. I'm really in need of a 24 to 26" monitor as well, but I want 1280x720 resolution, not higher because I can't see it. Also not an oddball PC resolution like 1366x768, cause mostly video will be watched on it. Let me know if you come up with such a screen.

-Jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone know if the Westinghouse 42" 1080p sets have dot by dot or know how to turn it on if it does, as this is the set that I have. Thanks again for the help in answering these questions

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlii /forum/post/0

does anyone know if the Westinghouse 42" 1080p sets have dot by dot or know how to turn it on if it does, as this is the set that I have. Thanks again for the help in answering these questions

The Westinghouse 1080p panels are 1:1 when using a 1080p signal. At least over HDMI, and I suspect over the other HD ports. 1080i: I think so (at least there's no overscan) but would have to check.

-Bill

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just watched the Guardian 1.85 on my panasonic 42px600u and did have one small black bar on the bottom only. The bar was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I guess my set has very little to no overscan.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyjp /forum/post/0

I just watched the Guardian 1.85 on my panasonic 42px600u and did have one small black bar on the bottom only. The bar was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I guess my set has very little to no overscan.

Or perhaps you just need to adjust the display scan area to reduce over/underscan and adjust the display position. It sounds like it needs to be moved down a bit. You need a DVD setup disc and access to a spec ial menu. I did this on my 42 ED Panny and reducing overscan greatly improved PQ. Or you can hire a certified technician to do same.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I checked out Platoon which is also 1.85 and found I had no black bars. Must be a disk by disk sort of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.