AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scrambled to get Comcast to install HD before the weekend in order to watch the Masters, only to be dismayed to discover Comcast doesn't offer it here in Detroit.

Anyone know WHY, and if they will soon?? Ken H??

Jim

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Comcast is still "in negotiations" with CBS.

CBS wants a certain amount per cable subscriber that Comcast doesn't want to pay.

Get an antenna and enjoy FREE CBS in HDTV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dosen't Comcast carry CBS in other markets? I thought this was a issue with the local CBS station.

I'd have to buy a set-top decoder in addition to an antenna, correct?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Jim,

It's an issue between Comcast and the 17 local stations that are actually owned by CBS. The owned and operated stations have a hold-up over retransmission fees; many of the affiliated CBS stations do not. Since you live in a major market where CBS owns the local station, it will be a while before WWJ hi def is on Comcast.

Jim

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
If your TV doesn't have a built in Over The Air tuner, yes, you'll need STB that can receive OTA channels.

As for antennas, you may only need a small indoor/attic antenna, if most of your stations are in the "yellow" or "green" list at antennaweb. http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.asp

If you live in Troy, MI, it looks like you could get quite a few digitals for free, with a good antenna.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - Next time an event is on CBS that I really want to see in HD I may have to drop some more coin on a STB. Brother, this is getting pricy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.