AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I paid a pretty penny for my DVD1600 , I got it from the Good Guys for $375 they had it marked at $449 and the guy said their cost was $400.:rolleyes: ...yeah right. :)

Anyways I noticed on the floor model in the store that it did not have a coaxial output...this is kind of cheesy for a player that cost this much no?

It is still sitting in the box and I am contemplaiting taking it back and getting something less expensive...maybe a Q50 for $275 instead.

Tell me more about my player, I bought it based solely on my readings here at this forum. Should it stay or go?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I opened it up and the SN is 210431xxxx October 2002 ....this is an old *******! Made in Japan though ...I guess I will try it out.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Denon DVD-1600 blows that Philips Q50 away! The Q50 has many bugs. That date is about right, the newest ones are early 2003 though. You could get a brand new unopened unit from Crutchfield for $329 and even less with coupons by the way. Don't worry about no coax, thats just the way it is, since it was based on the Panasonic design that also had only optical.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
To add a question to James’s post:

Will any add on "black box", either consumer or pro, which converts toslink to coax, pass the Dolby Digital and DTS signals correctly?

I have an old Theta TLC jitter reducer unit which also will do the conversion. Plus I know of some pro models, such as the ones made by Miniman, that will do the same.

Thanks

JK

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The Denon DVD-1600 blows that Philips Q50 away! The Q50 has many bugs. That date is about right, the newest ones are early 2003 though. You could get a brand new unopened unit from Crutchfield for $329 and even less with coupons by the way. Don't worry about no coax, thats just the way it is, since it was based on the Panasonic design that also had only optical.

Thanks , actually my unit was brand new and unopened .. if they are $329 at Crutchfield then I dont feel so bad that I paid $375. I'll just keep it.

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are worried about using the "inferior" optical out of the 1600 then I suggest purchasing a glass toslink cable. They can be had for $30 or so on ebay. Just search for glass toslink.

There are lots of discussions over at AudioAsylum concerning using glass toslink cables vs. the normal plastic ones. In fact many preferred glass toslink over digital coax connection.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Radio Shack sells Toslink (optical) to Coax and vice versa connectors. The 1600 is "supposed" to be based on the Panasonic RP-82 but the RP-82 has both coax and toslink. I think the Denon chassis may be based off a cheaper Panasonic unit with Toslink only but the video subsystem is probably based off the RP-82's

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The successors to the RP82 (XP30 and XP50) also have only optical output, so the Denon-DVD1600 could have been based on those not an eariier model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found these posts over at the Special Guests forum. Jeff Talmadge of Denon frequents there and had this to say when asked about the DVD-1600's roots.

Quote:
Denon DVD-1600

Jeff-

Stacey Spears posted elsewhere that the DVD-1600 "begins life" as a Panasonic DVD-RP56, and then is modified by Denon.

From your posts, we know it has a Matsushita MPEG decoder for no chroma bug, 10/54 Video DAC, and Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacing like the RP56.

Denon adds DVD-A (which chip?), and analog bass management like the Denon DVD-4800. It also adds DD, DTS, and DVD-A decoding w/5.1 output. It also uses Burr-Brown 24/192 DACs in place of the RP56's 24/96 DACs, and adds 3MB Memory Buffer for rapid layer changes.

Can you tell us what other modification and improvements Denon has made to the RP56 for enhanced performance, especially video, but audio, too?

Thanks,

Bob Whitehead

P.S. Heck of a deal at $550 MSRP
Jeff's reply...

Quote:
DVD-1600

Bob,

You got just about everything there. One thing I have had our engineers key in on to differentiate the 1600 video performance away from other DCDi players is giving them the info found by Stacey and Don. Since as you may know, we can tune the FLi2200 any way we want, the best being preferable, information regarding the competition and what Stacey and Don had to say could be better with their players lets us know what we should be doing on ours.

Regards,

Jeff Talmadge

Marketing and Product Manager

DENON Electronics (USA), Inc.
Here's Stacey's original post about the Rp-56 roots...

Quote:
The DVD-1600 begins life as a Panasonic RP-56. They have enabled DVD-A and they have made some register changes to the FLI2200 to make it perform better than the RP56.
BTW - I'm not looking to cause trouble - just wanted to share this info with you. You provide a lot of great info on these forums - keep it up!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Why didn't they make the same fixes on the Denon DVD-900,910,1200 models then? They have worse high frequency response and have CSS on producing the color flicker issue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good question...

Post here and ask Jeff.

Maybe once the shootout results are posted for the latest Denon players these fixes will be addressed. Why they couldn't / didn't roll in the fixes made to the 1600 into the newest models is troubling.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Jantzen,

Great find on the thread from Denon Jeff.

That is what I thought because the chassis and remote resemble that of the RP-56 more than it does the RP-82. Also the 1600 can't read DVD-RAM while the RP-82 can. So if the 1600 was based on the RP-82, I'm sure it would be able to read DVD-RAM.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Why would they take the RP56 chassis and put a totally different MPEG decoder in?

It this RP56->DVD1600 transformation is true, what the heck is leftover from the RP56?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.