AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
20x22 dedicated space, BenQ HT3550, 150" 16x9 screen, Yamaha RX-A3070 5.2.4
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have “Speakers”, “Subwoofers”, and dedicated 2-channel audio sections. If the center channel speaker is the most important speaker in the home theater wouldn’t we want to organize these discussions a bit? Is it due to the common implementation of simply matching LCR that they get lumped in together? I’m finding that there simply aren’t enough great center channel speakers and want MORE center channel discussion. Just me?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Speakers forums covers all the speaker channels except subwoofers
2 channels forum is for 2 channel audio and not for the left and right channels in multichannel setup

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
It would be a slippery slope. Do we then add rear surrounds, Atmos, in ceiling, in wall etc. Easy enough to start a center channel thread in the existing format.

·
Administrator
19,559 Posts
If the site created a new section for each and every category imaginable, the front page would be an endless scroll that you could never find the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
That and the reality that the center channel isn't actually the "most important" speaker (yeah I said it, fight me. o_O ) The main characteristic of the center channel is to not sound like the odd man out in the LCR group. Having a dedicated forum would just work to exacerbate that, if anything.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! Well, let’s have better center channel discussions then.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That and the reality that the center channel isn't actually the "most important" speaker (yeah I said it, fight me. o_O ) The main characteristic of the center channel is to not sound like the odd man out in the LCR group. Having a dedicated forum would just work to exacerbate that, if anything.
I’d probably say the same thing if I had your center channel.

Reactions: Ricoflashback

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the site created a new section for each and every category imaginable, the front page would be an endless scroll that you could never find the bottom of the page.
This forum has 2x HD DVD sections. Just sayin.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It would be a slippery slope. Do we then add rear surrounds, Atmos, in ceiling, in wall etc. Easy enough to start a center channel thread in the existing format.
Id hate to imagine 13 different forum spots for each channel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I’d probably say the same thing if I had your center channel.
You'd probably be more content with your front soundstage, and less driven to fixate on changes that don't actually improve your theater too. But here we are.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'd probably be more content with your front soundstage, and less driven to fixate on changes that don't actually improve your theater too. But here we are.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.
In all seriousness I am looking for an improvement in center channel performance. Hoping to make some changes soon.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My original thought was it would simply be nice to have all of the center channel threads easily accessible. As with every other post, there is some inherent bias towards my exposure to content thus far and where my attention is currently focused. I’ve recently moved focus from subs to my next target in the center channel; which I’m finding underwhelming as far as differentiating options. I feel like we’ve put constraints on the center channel for size and aesthetic reasons and there is room for some creative changes in the space. Right now I just want more content and easier accessibility. I only mean to troll just a little, but I’m genuinely interested in seeing if we’ve largely handcuffed our experience with this speaker.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My original thought was it would simply be nice to have all of the center channel threads easily accessible. As with every other post, there is some inherent bias towards my exposure to content thus far and where my attention is currently focused. I’ve recently moved focus from subs to my next target in the center channel; which I’m finding underwhelming as far as differentiating options. I feel like we’ve put constraints on the center channel for size and aesthetic reasons and there is room for some creative changes in the space. Right now I just want more content and easier accessibility. I only mean to troll just a little, but I’m genuinely interested in seeing if we’ve largely handcuffed our experience with this speaker.
If you're asking about the center you currently have yes, you can likely do notably better for not a lot of money, such as the Infinity RC263 (near unbeatable value at its sale price of $199 or less), Emotiva C1+/C2+, Chane A2.4, etc. There are many center-specific threads that are easy to find with a quick search that contain discussions you may find valuable.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're asking about the center you currently have yes, you can likely do notably better for not a lot of money, such as the Infinity RC263 (near unbeatable value at its sale price of $199 or less), Emotiva C1+/C2+, Chane A2.4, etc. There are many center-specific threads that are easy to find with a quick search that contain discussions you may find valuable.
Yes, I’m likely going to settle for something like one of those options but I can’t help but think they’re all half of what they could be.

·
Registered
Samsung Q9FN75, Marantz SR6014, Outlaw 7000x, Motion 60xti LR, Motion 50xti C, Motion SLM-X Surround
195 Posts
Id hate to imagine 13 different forum spots for each channel lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I vote for a cats sitting on your speakers sub forum though

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Go to Advanced Search, enter "center" in Keywords, check Search Titles Only, select Speakers under Search In Forums, sort by Date, hit Search button and you get a list with most recent on top of all the threads in the Speakers section with center in the title.

If doing your own research doesn't answer your questions start a new thread with "center" in the title specifically stating the unique information you're looking for that hasn't already been addressed multiple times in previous threads.

·
Administrator
19,559 Posts
Some would actually not only want, for example, a center forum, but a separate center forum for each and every speaker brand imaginable. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
12,922 Posts
The incorrect assumption of this thread is that the center speaker is a distinct and separate entity unto itself. The center speaker is but one piece of the front soundstage, and the entire front soundstage should be considered as a "whole" or a "system" where all the parts must work synergistically. Ideally, the front soundstage should consist of speakers with identical, (or at a minimum, very similar) output and timbre. This will provide the best opportunity for a cohesive, consistent and integrated front soundstage.

Craig

1 - 20 of 40 Posts