AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all indications it is the 720p form of the same platform used for their CEDIA 1080p prototype, which should ship in Q1 '06.

Of course after gregr put it through its paces, the Sony Ruby engineers are rolling on the floor laughing! :) :)

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
'Cause I haven't read it yet. :)

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Well, people should pay for reading the article. A complete discussion here would not be fair to WSR. The projector could be very bright but when calibrated and with high contrast that brightness melted like snow in Sahara.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I found the projector very disappinting (based on the review).

I know the game as far as inflating numbers but this is about as silly as you can get. DPI specs 2500 ANSI lumens and 6000:1 contrast. But Greg measured 1634 lumens at D65 with 570:1 contrast! And at full contrast 2810:1 you get a whopping 191 lumens!

He does note that by going the seriously uncalibrated route for lack of a better term, you might be able to hit 6000:1 contrast number for the sake of being able to claim a measurement. You could similarly get about 2918 lumens according to Greg by maximizing for brightness.

Hopefully it's OK to quote the numbers. If Greg has a problem with it I will delete the post.

p.s. The PJ actually looks like it did just fine, apart from the fact that I find the value questionable considering the Ruby. It's the disparity between the specs and the real specs that I find disappointing. I'd be less disappointed if the specs had been more honest in the first place. I admit the 6000:1 contrast spec caught my eye.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yep, I have no idea why anybody would buy this projector. You can have relatively high contrast with dismal light output, or high lightout with dismal contrast, but not both. If you want high contrast get the Ruby for less money. If you want high brightness get a 3 chip DLP for similar money.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Sort of like a car that can either do 0-60 in 6 seconds but can't go faster than 60 or can do a top speed of 150 but takes 10 minutes to reach it :).

I guess the specs aren't too far from the Qualia in some ways (re: contrast and brightness) but the Ruby has definitely set a new standard by which we are going to be looking at specs.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I read the review and find this projector not interesting at all. Very expressive, 720P, CR was not that hot, etc. I only find that they light output was really high. If this is any telling about their 1080P model, I'm glad I just paid for a Ruby. :)

/Mattias

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I get Digital Projection and ProjectionDesign mixed up sometimes, but I think they might share this one. Anyway, a couple of us went to one of the booths at CEDIA with one of the 1080p single chippers (I'm pretty sure it was ProjectionDesign) and talked to them about it. We tried to pin them down on how many lumens we could expect with both lamps at the higher contrast ratio and the answer I remember was in a whole different world from the low lumens in this review for the high contrast iris position. Maybe there will be something different there, but I'm with the people thinking that this doesn't look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74
If this is any telling about their 1080P model, I'm glad I just paid for a Ruby. :)
Wow. I was thinking about your situation and how it would be nice if you could see a Ruby with one of the next gen scalers with Mosquito reduction features with your laserdisks and older DVDs before deciding. But it sounds like you are kind of impatient with waiting for this stuff, just like me. :) I'll definitely be interested in what you think of it compared to what you've had in the past. A laserdisk player plugged straight in might not look all that great, but hopefully with some good processing you'll be happy with those.

--Darin

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Darin,

It was Projection Design you spoke with at CEDIA, at least based upon what you posted then.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
Hopefully it's OK to quote the numbers. If Greg has a problem with it I will delete the post.
No problem. I've said many times that I am happy to discuss reviews here after the WSR issue with the review is mailed or the review is on the WSR website (which is now). Obviously you may want to quote some numbers, etc. to discuss the review.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
Wow. I was thinking about your situation and how it would be nice if you could see a Ruby with one of the next gen scalers with Mosquito reduction features with your laserdisks and older DVDs before deciding. But it sounds like you are kind of impatient with waiting for this stuff, just like me. :) I'll definitely be interested in what you think of it compared to what you've had in the past. A laserdisk player plugged straight in might not look all that great, but hopefully with some good processing you'll be happy with those.

--Darin

Yes, I know I MUST get a good scaler now. I sold my last (Crystalio) and are now looking into Crystalio II or the Radiance XD.

/Mattias

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan
Of course after gregr put it through its paces, the Sony Ruby engineers are rolling on the floor laughing! :) :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
p.s. The PJ actually looks like it did just fine, apart from the fact that I find the value questionable considering the Ruby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B
If you want high contrast get the Ruby for less money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ
I guess the specs aren't too far from the Qualia in some ways (re: contrast and brightness) but the Ruby has definitely set a new standard by which we are going to be looking at specs.
Quote:
If this is any telling about their 1080P model, I'm glad I just paid for a Ruby. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
I was thinking about your situation and how it would be nice if you could see a Ruby with one of the next gen scalers with Mosquito reduction features with your laserdisks and older DVDs before deciding.
Should this thread be moved? ;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregr in another thread
I will have a review of the Digital Projection dVision HD DLP projector, which also has dual lamps and dual color wheels in Issue #104 of Widescreen Review, which mails to subscribers in the middle of December. It should be of particular interest to some astute readers.

Ok Greg, for us non-astute readers what were we supposed to find that was of particular interest?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam
Ok Greg, for us non-astute readers what were we supposed to find that was of particular interest?
Calibrated measurements:

1,694 lumens @ 507:1 CR

191 Lumens @ 2,810:1 CR

M-ANSI CR 205:1

Lets not forget >$20K with lens!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam
I thought the optical/dual lamp system used in this projector would be of particular interest to those that had seen or were expecting similar technology in other projectors.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan
Calibrated measurements:

1,694 lumens @ 507:1 CR

191 Lumens @ 2,810:1 CR

M-ANSI CR 205:1

Lets not forget >$20K with lens!

Sounds like a stillborn to me unless this is a defective (by almost an order of magnitude) unit...

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
As someone else pointed out somewhere, isn't this a non-starter given the existence of the Infocus 777 3-chip for less money?

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I recall the review said the dual lamp is how you get your brightness when the iris is used for contrast - so where is the brightness? That is about a third of the H79 brightness at same contrast. Though this is par brightness with other former contrast kings (NEC HT1100, Sony HS51) Was that measure dual lamp? It certainly has install flexibility - which is what you are paying for - but SP777 at that max brightness and that max contrast at the same time and three chip certainly makes one rethink why the dual lamps - that would seem to be a very expensive optical design?

QQQ

Maybe gregr reviews will get the industry to stop the 2x inflated contrast/brightness non D65 numbers. Or maybe not since marketers know most people do not read WSR - they buy into the marketed numbers rather than the video engineering numbers....

·
Banned
3,257 Posts
I apologize in advance if this response is OT.

I recently installed two new projectors at my work place, both are dual lamp Panasonic machines.

1) PT-D7700U 2 (300W UHM lamps) 7000 lm

CR 4000:1(when "Dynamic Iris" set to "3")

2)PT-D5500U 2 (300W UHM lamps) 5000 lm

CR 1600:1 (contrast set to "High")

I did not measure nor calibrate them, these are the manufacturer specifications.

The PT-D7700U has a 40K price tag, & the picture is truly breath taking..

thomas

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I know I MUST get a good scaler now.
The quality of 1080i deinterlacing is going to be a major differentiating factor in new 1080p projectors compared to current 1080p projectors. There will also be standalone scalers with superb 1080i deinterlacing so owners of current 1080p projectors that actually accept 1080p signals will not be left behind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.