AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello first post heremy question is why are there no monitors/displays only set ups, meaning if most people have surround sound and a video tuner like sat/or cable for HD why pay to have speakers and tuner in the display if you are basically paying for something you don't need.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
NEC and Panasonic make display units

they are intended for the commercial market but you can find them on the internet and they are often 720p because 1080 is pointless when your using it as a commercial display TV

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Excellent question I never thought of this.

It would make alot of sense but really only save us maybe $100 street.

But I do see alot of LCD's or Plasma at the Movie theater, And I saw one being put up an my local Sprint store it was a Samsung Display unit

No speakers, But these units are Built Beefier with higher quality components, Because then need to be on 9 hours a day everyday.

And while they are more expensive Big Theater chains or companies like Samsung will buy 1,000 of these at once for all of their stores nationwide.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18179221

NEC and Panasonic make display units

they are intended for the commercial market but you can find them on the internet and they are often 720p because 1080 is pointless when your using it as a commercial display TV

Sony and Samsung also offer professional grade monitors - either as specialized broadcast equipment (control monitors) or for public viewing in (digital signage and point of information applications).

They also have 1080p displays now, but most are indeed 720p.

·
23,032 Posts
There was a mandate for the US market a while back the required turners and cable card slots to be included in TVs destined for the US.

larry

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/18181402

There was a mandate for the US market a while back the required turners and cable card slots to be included in TVs destined for the US.

larry

TV's NOW don't have cable cards. The workaround to a no tuner is call the display a monitor, not a TV.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There was never a mandate for TVs for the US to include cable card support. Ther only TV mandate that I am aware of was the one that went into effect in Feb 2007 that all TV for the US market include 8VSB OTA digital tuners.

There was also a mandate that all STBs purchased by US cable companies starting in the summer of 2007 have cable card support.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18181592

There was also a mandate that all STBs purchased by US cable companies starting in the summer of 2007 have cable card support.

Yes, but as we all know, that was a joke. Yes, all the STB's now have and use the cable card for decoding encrypted signals from the cable company. But these stb's cannot be used or sold directly to the end user because the cable cards are "married" to the box. The intent of the mandate was to move to one day having these boxes sold directly to the consumer via retail outlets. Then just rent the cable card from their cable provider. (like Tivo) But the cable industry obviously saw the loop holes in the rules and these boxes are still not available via retail. I know. I purchased a stb on ebay, thinking I could just rent a cable card and install it in these boxes. But you can't. The cable company will not authorize the box on their network. And, these boxes do not have the software that drives them built in. The software is downloaded from the cable company. The only true retail boxes are Tivo. But just look at the price of a Tivo HD drv box, then the cost of the guide service. Sorry for getting off the original post.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My first HDTV (purchased in 2001) was a 51" rear-projection "monitor." It had built-in speakers but no tuner. At the time, Sony was charging $400-$500 more for a true "HDTV," a set with equivalent specs that also included the ASTC OTA tuner built in. I bought my own stand-alone ASTC tuner for less than the cost of having it included in the TV (but not a lot less).

Today, ASTC tuners are dirt cheap, so it doesn't make any sense to sell TV's without tuners and have to explain to consumers the difference between a TV (capable of resolving a signal OTA) and a monitor (that only accepts a signal sent from an attached input).

As for speakers, it seems like the speakers included on most TVs these days are so horrible that they probably don't cost much to add.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffprindle /forum/post/18179107

if most people have surround sound and a video tuner like sat/or cable for HD why pay to have speakers and tuner

Like most human, u take your unique (1) personal situation and immediately extrapolate to, oh the rest of the world must think like I do! - NOT.

I often make fun of people in this forum complaining about the performance of the TV's built-in speakers. THEY EXPECT THEM. I say, why? will you have a big screen TV and NO HONEST-T0-GOD external speakers?

But as mentioned, THERE ARE monitor-only, as long as ur willing the pay the premium, 'coz, SURPRISED, not very popular.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My olevia 342i is a 720p "monitor"... The speakers are detachable and no tuner! Think some of the newer olevia's at target have detachable speakers still, but now come with tuners.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/18184082

Like most human, u take your unique (1) personal situation and immediately extrapolate to, oh the rest of the world must think like I do! - NOT.

I often make fun of people in this forum complaining about the performance of the TV's built-in speakers. THEY EXPECT THEM. I say, why? will you have a big screen TV and NO HONEST-T0-GOD external speakers?

But as mentioned, THERE ARE monitor-only, as long as ur willing the pay the premium, 'coz, SURPRISED, not very popular.

Sounds system aren't that popular in the general public. About 70% of my customers do not have a sound system hooked to the TV. Of the remaining 30% most use the TV speakers for day to day use and crank up the sound system only for movies. Most of the sound systems are HTIB, very few have an actual AVR/speaker setup.

Tuners are used about 30% of the time, 20% analog cable/10% OTA. About 70% have digital cable/sat/fios

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/18184082

As I am not in the industry of selling, installing, so on...I can only rely on my personal situation to try and determine why somethings are done as they are. I would have assumed the % of consumers that actually had a sound system with the video source was much higher based on the saturation of products, i.e. speakers, a/v products and the like. Someone must be buying all this inventory or there are some mighty big warehouses full of stuff. I just thought if I was going to provide some of the sources why duplicate and put that extra money towards better video...but I see the cost factor must not be driven up by these, "sometimes" un-needed items

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18185616

Sounds system aren't that popular in the general public.

I blame the relatively affordability of big screen TVs and iPods.

A big screen TV without good sound is like... like fancy car parked on the street; trophy wife living in an apartment (unless u own whole floor); Hondas faked to sound like a muscle car; too much make-up.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/18186438

I blame the relatively affordability of big screen TVs and iPods.

A big screen TV without good sound is like... like fancy car parked on the street; trophy wife living in an apartment (unless u own whole floor); Hondas faked to sound like a muscle car; too much make-up.

Agreed, sound is just as important as picture.

Most people just want "one of them new fancy flat TV's" and can live with the built in speakers. I actually get a few calls about poor audio, one even complained it didn't sound good on the music stations !!! It's NOT a stereo !!!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
When I first went to work for Sears we carried a 40" Sony LCD monitor--had speakers but no tuner. It's pq was actually better than some of the Sonys with tuners but nobody would buy it even though a majority of people in our area are on either satellite or cable and had no need for a tuner in the tv. Now the recession is forcing more and more people to give up sat and cable so I can see some wisdom in not buying a turnerless monitor.

BTW, I own an HD Tivo that I use just for OTA. It's well worth the monthly fee for the convenience of the Tivo guide and interface alone, not to mention the free accesss to youtube and lots of other free downloadable stuff plus access to Netflix and several other internet download movie sources. Between it and my PS3 I don't miss my DirecTV at all except for TCM.

I'm one of those few that actually do have a decent audio system consisting of a Pioneer receiver and 7.1 speakers and it's the only way I listen to anything on my tv, even the news (Harmony remote makes it just as easy to use the system as not to). I don't even know if the speakers on my tv actually work, and only tried the tuner once to make sure it did work.

I can testify to the fact that the vast majority of people buying 1k and up tvs are either using the tv speakers or at best a $300 HTIB and calling that "Home Theater". It must be remembered that 90% or more of Americans don't know how how to adjust the color on a tv, let alone set up a real audio system.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My Sony KLV-40ZX1M I got last year at the Sony Outlet is a high-end TV monitor. It is an extremely thin LED with anodized aluminum bezel, speakers in the round pedestal. Premium quality from Japan. orig $4000, cleared out for a 1/5th that price.

I love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts