AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm new to these boards, so please go easy on me if this is a dumb, or redundant question):

In my home I have a Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver/amp that I bought about 4 years ago. At the time I was excited to have an amp capable reproducing Dolby ProLogic, Dolby II, Dolby 5.1 and 6.1 as well as DTS and DTS-ES. Sadly, however, I've since been increasingly disappointed as DVD after DVD comes out using only Dolby 5.1!

wtf?!

So what's the deal? Obviously 6+1 channel surround has been around for quite a while now, but for reasons I don't understand, they're clearly uninterested in adopting these standards...

Of the VERY few movies I've seen w/ 6.1 support, the sound is AWESOME (I love watching Gladiator in DTS-ES!), so I don't understand why they're not using it prolifically, and I'd really like to know why...

So does anyone have any insight into this? I'd love to know what the problem is and when/if we can expect to see 6.1 surround available on most movies instead of 1% or less!

BL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ugh, okay, this thread was probably a newbie mistake, if it's in the wrong forum, please point me to the correct place to ask and I'll trot off to wherever I should've been in the first place (by way of explanation, I read "Surround Music Formats" and my brain interpretted it as "Surround Sound Formats" -- my bad :( -- apologies to everyone!)

BL

·
Registered
444 Posts
In my opinion 6.1/7.1 is nothing more tham marketing hype and a way to sell consumers more product. I have yet to hear a system in a average size room in which the move from 5.1 to 6.1/7.1 was worth the added time and expense. It's hard enough to set up a 5.1 system properly without the extra complexity of adding extra speakers into the mix.

In all the time in which I sold electronics I would say that 99.9% of my customers had a limited budget. If the budget was $5000 for speakers I believe they were better served with 5 X $1000 speakers than with 7 X $714.28 speakers.

It seems obvious that the movie studios also feel that it's not worth the effort to mix movies for home use in 6.1/7.1. If studios are not rushing to release movies in 6.1/7.1 now I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb
It seems obvious that the movie studios also feel that it's not worth the effort to mix movies for home use in 6.1/7.1. If studios are not rushing to release movies in 6.1/7.1 now I don't see that changing anytime soon.
It was a marketing tool there for awhile and helped drive sales back when the market for DVD's was more videophile than it's now become.

6.1 or 7.1 is a nice tweek once you get the basics, 5.1, covered though. It does make for a better soundfield in the rear. I leave mine engaged for everything but M/C music. It even enhances Pro-Logic LD's expanding the surround coverage. A tweek it is but many people, like the original poster, get a bit anxious about them X-tree channels...shouldn't!

Poster, it really doesn't matter if software sez it's EX or ES. Just engage the EX circuit manually for any title you want. Take an LD or DVD of, say, The Jackal and try to prove that it doesn't benefit from EX treatment. Odds are you'd conclude it must be "encoded". In the end, IMO, even with DTS ES, you're just matrixing out some side info and moving it. IMO, DTS Discrete is just a digital "matrix". Has to be, the software is 5.1 compatiable.

Quit worrying if your software is labeled EX or ES. If it was, you'd proaby be paying an extra fiver for basically the same thang. It's just a rear tweek that'll come into play favourably with most loud, crazy, modern, and effectively action films. It'll even help on some smaller stuff too, like the flubber sounds in Flubber. I think it adds to most thunder storm effects making you feel more encompased by the storm in several films I've seen.

Any film with rear channels can be E-X'ed! :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrb
In my opinion 6.1/7.1 is nothing more tham marketing hype and a way to sell consumers more product. I have yet to hear a system in a average size room in which the move from 5.1 to 6.1/7.1 was worth the added time and expense. It's hard enough to set up a 5.1 system properly without the extra complexity of adding extra speakers into the mix.

In all the time in which I sold electronics I would say that 99.9% of my customers had a limited budget. If the budget was $5000 for speakers I believe they were better served with 5 X $1000 speakers than with 7 X $714.28 speakers.

Just my opinion.
I disagree completely with this comment. I watched Star Wars Episode II in 6.1 and there was clearly an added dimension due to the rear surround speakers. For action intensive movies it is very much worth it. Movies is not so much about quality playback as music is but it is more about discrete special effects like a ship flying in behind you and panning from the rear left to the front etc. Or bullets/lasers shooting from all directions.

As for the budget - almost any set of speakers will work so the upgrade is not as expensive going from a quality 5.1 set up for music. Since the extra channels are mainly used for movies they need not match the other five in size or price.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Hopefully, with the added bandwidth from HD-DVD and Blueray the two added channels will make a difference, at least in the interim with DTS encoded discs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.