AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at all the RPTV's that are out with firewire, they all have integrated HDTV tuners. I don't have a need for an integrated tuner, since I have DirecTV and will have to get a HDTV STB anway. So...does anyone make a RPTV tith both DVI and Firewire, but without an integrated tuner.

Maybe I'm missing something about FIREWIRE and Integrated tuners? Any DirecTV HDTV STB's with firewire output?

·
Registered
399 Posts
A set with Firewire input requires an MPEG2 decoder. The MPEG2 decoder is also a significant ($) part of the ATSC receiver, so if they put it in for Firewire it is cost effective to add the ATSC tuner also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That really doesn't clear it up with me.

RPTV's with ATSC Tuner need a MEG2 decoder

RPTV's without ATSC Tuners also need a MPEG2 decoder

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where did you get the idea that RPTVs wthout integrated tuners need MPEG2 decoders? I can't think of one that does have an MPEG2 decoder built in. HDTV monitors accept uncompressed HD signals through component, RGB, or DVi inputs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Firewire can only handle compressed video. It doesn't have the bandwidth for uncompressed. For example, at 1200x700x24 resolution, 60 frames a second, it makes a stream of about 1200 Mbps (not counting control info). Firewire tops out at about 400 Mbps. Hence the need for some form of decompression in a firewire set (ie. MPEG2).

-Rob-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay....confused. I'm thinking about buying a freakin RPTV. There are 2 currently debated standards for uncompressed video streams, DVI and Firewire. Firwire has Bi-Direction and Audio streaming aupport, while DVI has a higher bandwidth and is supposedly more secure (lots of backing from Holleywood). Why would I want firewire on my RPTV? And if I did, why do I have to buy a RPTV with an itegrated tuner to get firewire support?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oface
There are 2 currently debated standards for uncompressed video streams, DVI and Firewire.
Wrong. As Rob stated in the previous post, firewire only handles the compressed MPEG2 signals. Firewire and DVI are completely different. With firewire the MPEG decoding is done in the TV set. With DVI the decoding is done by an external stb. Re-read MattJ's post as he answers your question about why sets with firewire also have HD tuners. BTW, most RPTVs have 2 NTSC integrated tuners that most people don't use either.

Jay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.