AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this model never mentioned? From looking at the specs, it seems to compare very favorably to the Panny, Pioneer and Sony models. Is there something I am missing that makes it less attractive than other models?

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Too many afraid of the loading issue, due to the DR-MV1, but you and I have already discussed that at length. Also, too many are already hooked on Tivo and are too used to the interface and features. The 3-hour buffer is a little-known feature that JVC should have marketed with fury. No one had even heard of the VCR/HDD combo that I had years ago, long before DVD recorders ever employed one, so it's not a big suprize to me that the DMR-MH30S is somewhat of a mystery.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
spyder,

Your VCR/HDD combo--what type of signal was recorded on the HDD?

Analog? Digital?

·
Banned
9,255 Posts
Well, since it was so long ago, I can't really remember exactly. All I remember off the top of my head was that the hdd was 40GB, which was quite large at the time, even for comps. Think of it as a high-end JVC S-VHS (like an HR-9600U) with a hard drive built in for editing and Tivo-like buffering purposes. I mostly got it only for the buffering feature, since I didn't want to pay the damn monthly fees for anything else. I think the model # was HM-S1U if you want to research it, but it's been too long for my old, worn-out brain to be 100% certain. It was huge in Europe (PAL), but nobody knew about it here for some reason.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
spyder,

Thanks for the info. Had I known about that device, I would have been interested, but I probably could not have justified the expense in my younger years anyway, so maybe it was better that I never heard about it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If in fact all transfers from the live buffer to a saved show are done in real time and thus likely re-encoded, that could be considered by many to be a major drawback. That's the biggest thing that's holding me back from getting one. As far as I've been able to determine by looking at still captures, the encoder and filters used in the JVC are discernably superior to those used in the the Panny, Pioneer, and Sony recorders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.