AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
The company was bought a number of years ago. Their last major home theater projector was the IN83. Since then the market as a whole has shifted towards cheaper DLP units and that was never a part of the market InFocus home theater projectors were never apart of. There has also been such an infusion of LCOS and higher quality 3LCD models which only spreads out the market share even more. Without the niche high end DLP being as popular as it used to be i just don't see how InFocus could make one if their typical home theater projectors and make money.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008  /t/1473054/why-no-new-infocus-pjs#post_23324550

The SP8602 was their last North America model, but it looks like there focusing on the European market. The SP8604, SP8601, SP8600, etc.. are being sold through non-US distributors.

that's the odd thing... they are selling the new/improved 8600 series everywhere... except here in the U.S. , so they are competing (or trying to) against the jvc's/Epson's/sharp's of the world , but not here...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I had owned an InFocus X10 previously and I was completely willing to stay brand loyal. I'd had nothing but good dealings with InFocus. I wanted to upgrade and found that the SP8602 was no longer available, but I figured they'd have something to replace that with for the HT market. Nope... Even the Euro models that appear to be the successor to it don't seem to have a contemporary feature set I'd expect from InFocus. Looks like they've decided to go to the presentation market and just leave HT for everybody else. Sad really, cause I thought they stuck awesome lenses in their projectors and I would have been willing to pay a few extra bucks for some offering from them.

As it was, I ended up getting a W7000 instead. I'm very happy with the projector and the image quality is terrific. But if I run into any troubles, I don't think BenQ has the reputation for service that InFocus has. Fingers crossed I never have to find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts