AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious why Notre Dame Football is not in HD on NBC-HD.Its like 5 or 6 games right?Whats the big deal?Does NBC-HD suck that bad or what? J.H.

·
Registered
LG GX | LG SP11RA
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shark73
Yes. NBC sucks that bad.
I second that.

Hats of to CBS and FOX! I never thought I would be a huge Fox fan after all of my 480p bashing but they have won me over!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
They are visionaries :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.H.
I'm curious why Notre Dame Football is not in HD on NBC-HD.Its like 5 or 6 games right?Whats the big deal?Does NBC-HD suck that bad or what? J.H.
B/c they are NBC. NBC seems to love doing primetime shows in hd but they have this weird adversion to doing sports in hd. Go figure!

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't Notre Dame football the only football NBC has?It just doesn't seem like a big deal to do one college football in HD.Does it?If ND was on any other channel [CBS,ABC,FOX or ESPN] they would be in HD already right? Its just very annoying especially for an ND fan. J.H.

·
Super Moderator
19,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UMDMatt
NBC's HD coverage?

Notre Dame football, no

Occassional Horse Racing event, yes!

It just makes sense doesn't it folks?
FWIW Ratings I could find:

2003 Notre Dame Football (avg): 2.6 million households (source: Notre Dame Observer)

2004 Belmont Stakes: 11 million households (source: Daily Racing Form quoting overnight Nielsens))

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
NBC is cheap, cheap, cheap.

If Notre Dame is smart, it will put an HD requirement in its next contract. And tell NBC that if it starts HD during the current contract, it will get preferred negotiating status (right of first refusal) for the next contract.

·
Super Moderator
19,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SonomaSearcher
If Notre Dame is smart, it will put an HD requirement in its next contract.
Current deal runs through 2010. One would hope it's a moot point by then... ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
NBC figures it saves money doing its new primetime shows in HD because the length of a football game is, so far this year, a lot longer than their new shows are lasting on the air.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The biggest problem with upgrading the NBC station at Notre Dame to HD to cover games is that, while it would be great to see ND in HD on Saturdays in the fall...that's all the equipment would be good for - there definitely isn't anything else in South Bend, IN that you'd want to see in that much detail. ;)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by varkus
The biggest problem with upgrading the NBC station at Notre Dame to HD to cover games is that, while it would be great to see ND in HD on Saturdays in the fall...that's all the equipment would be good for - there definitely isn't anything else in South Bend, IN that you'd want to see in that much detail. ;)
I am not sure what you are talking about. An NBC station in South Bend has nothing to do with live sporting events. A "remote" is set up at the stadium consisting of one or two tractor trailers with all of the equipment necessary for the broadcast. This production is then uplinked via satellite to the programmer's nerve center and then distributed via satellite to all outlets.

A pretty neat diagram of the semi-trucks can be found on HDNet's web site:

http://www.hd.net/mobileunits.html

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.