AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep checking their site and the pdf only lists the specs. I don't recall it listing the dimensions of the projector either. Are there any color choices? I realize it's not yet shipped but, there usually is a pic of the product and dimensions. I was wondering if anyone has a pic?

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, it does seem odd that there is no information on their site (except for a couple of old PDF's). Word is they did a test shipment last week and should start shipping the units "for real" this week. As has been said in other threads, one would assume the final spec should already be nailed down if they're shipping this week and it's curious that they haven't put any more info on their site! One would think they'd want to drum up more interest and get some more pre-orders in. It's not like their site is that complex or graphics-heavy either... since they already have the info, they should be able to put together a TV2 page in a couple of hours...

I don't know about you, but I'm anxious to hear people start reviewing it!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have asked Jeff at Dwin this very question along with my dealer who has been working with Dwin for quite sometime. Their answer is simply that they are an engineering firm first, marketing giants second. This is not the typical product seen on a retail shelf that depends on mass marketing. They tend to do the engineering and have a product ready for market before they inform consumers of the product's availability. They would are just as happy fielding the same questions over and over again by telephone then to market dates, availability, etc., and miss the mark or have to continue to change the date. If we think about it, the date movement is some of our own assumptions or one off conversations we've had with Dwin. None of the dates have actually been committed or published.

As it is, they have sufficient preorders to not be concerned for quantities of production with no sales. As with Marantz, it took quite awhile before they were able to catch up with pre-orders.

Never the less, I have also heard that the test run went well and they are intending to begin shipping this week. Lucky for me, my pre-order is one of the first to come of the first group to ship for consumer sale. I've been told it will be delivered no later then next week.

Quote:
Originally posted by PUCK
Yeah, it does seem odd that there is no information on their site (except for a couple of old PDF's). Word is they did a test shipment last week and should start shipping the units "for real" this week. As has been said in other threads, one would assume the final spec should already be nailed down if they're shipping this week and it's curious that they haven't put any more info on their site! One would think they'd want to drum up more interest and get some more pre-orders in. It's not like their site is that complex or graphics-heavy either... since they already have the info, they should be able to put together a TV2 page in a couple of hours...

I don't know about you, but I'm anxious to hear people start reviewing it!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just out of curiousity how can you pre-order a projector? Isnt that something that you would wanna see a demo of first?

Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, seeing a demo of a $10,000-15,000 piece of equipment is top on my list. I demoed everything else I purchased for my theater in order to make an informed decision.

However, in this marketspace this is something that is hard to do. For instance, Marantz dealers are few and far between. Those dealers that are around are selling every unit that they order. They aren't keeping what they order as a demo since the demand is so high. Marantz (Dan possibly) was in the area a couple of months ago in order to do a demonstration at a dealer's location on behalf of the dealer. Unfortunately, the demand being what it is is making these types of decisions difficult without having product readily available for demo.

I am aware of Dwin's reputation (good) and I am leaning on it and the reputation of the Dwin dealer that I am working with and have been working with to outfit my theater with A/V equipment. All signs point to this being the product to wait for.

In reviewing the comments made by Dan Miller of Marantz during yesterday's Q&A session, I am as convinced as ever that waiting for the next generation of TI's DLP chip is not worth waiting for. In Dan's own words, he indicated that the improvements seen with the projectors utilizing that chip won't be a result of the next rev chip. Rather, it will be because the manufacturers have had another year to improve their R&D to get better results out of the product. With that said, Dwin being later to market with their product certainly has given them the benefit of time.

IMHO --

Quote:
Originally posted by xris2o0o
Just out of curiousity how can you pre-order a projector? Isnt that something that you would wanna see a demo of first?

Chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the TV2 will use the same 2 box chassis as the

Transvision shown on the DWIN website. At least that is

what they had on display at CES. The electronics are

completely new however, so there is no possibility of

upgrading from the TV1. The TV1 was available in white

or black.

Bruce

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, I have been told that the two chassis config will continue. However, the housing for the Transivision 2 projector was reworked. Its supposed to be slimmer and will mount closer to the ceiling then the current model.

Quote:
Originally posted by bweimer
I believe the TV2 will use the same 2 box chassis as the

Transvision shown on the DWIN website. At least that is

what they had on display at CES. The electronics are

completely new however, so there is no possibility of

upgrading from the TV1. The TV1 was available in white

or black.

Bruce

·
Registered
131 Posts
A company that is more concerned with engineering than in marketing?

Where are their priorities? How do they stay in business?

Wish there was a Dwin dealer in the Indy area - will be curious what this puppy looks like.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
David:

I'll just point out that the reports on the HP XB31 with the 12 degree mirrors don't support the comment made by Marantz. I'd take that with a huge grain of salt given they'd like to sell the HD1 projectors they've already made.

1500 lumens and contrast ratio around 1800 ain't nothing to sneeze at. It is far beyond anything the HD1 projectors are capable of.

Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
They apparently are staying in business and very successfully. From what I understand they have plenty of pre-orders, much like Marantz did prior to shipping their first unit.

Quote:
Originally posted by rbhargan
A company that is more concerned with engineering than in marketing?

Where are their priorities? How do they stay in business?

Wish there was a Dwin dealer in the Indy area - will be curious what this puppy looks like.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
SteinyD,

I think Richard was being tongue-in-cheek with his question.

Richard,

Give DWIN a call, they'd be able to tell you if you have a local dealer. I imagine a town the size of Indy should.

-phil

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess I forgot to include a smiley in that post.

Just sent an email to DWin to see if they have a dealer in the Indy area. I did a search for Dwin dealers on the projectorcentral web site, but it did not find anything in Indy. Will see what Dwin has to say.

Looking forward to reading the first reviews of the new Dwin.

Phil - regarding your sig. Most people stop searching once they find what they are looking for. If it isn't in the last place you looked, then you are doing it wrong. ;)

Or was that the implication, and I am just being humorless?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DanHouck
David:

I'll just point out that the reports on the HP XB31 with the 12 degree mirrors don't support the comment made by Marantz. I'd take that with a huge grain of salt given they'd like to sell the HD1 projectors they've already made.

1500 lumens and contrast ratio around 1800 ain't nothing to sneeze at. It is far beyond anything the HD1 projectors are capable of.

Dan
Dan,

I agree, but as you also know one must take the 1500 lumens and 1800:1 with an equally huge grain of salt.

The other thing is that every generation of projectors will get better even if they use the same chip so it will be hard to separate the two effects.

What Dan said about the marketing of the HD2 chip is true and you will see them in RPTVs.

John Moschella

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Dwin,

Please reconsider a 9 inch CRT! Until 1920x1080 capable digital projectors are available, we need a 9 inch CRT from you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.