AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm unique, but I don't understand why the marketing gurus have never considered selling RPTV monitors. Get rid of all the flotsam like picture in picture, audio systems, and tuners (thereby reducing the cost), and using those cost savings to provide superior video sections, CRTs/lenses, and fine-pitch fresnel and lenticular lenses.

Anybody who buys a bigscreen TV is usually using an STB of some sort (cable or satellite), and is almost always feeding the audio from the STB into an audio system for surround-sound.

Are people really interested in performance or features?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm with you. Why pay for a built-in audio system (etc.) that you never use. When will they wake up?

Cheers Don.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I totally agree. I have never purchased a RPTV for exactly this reason I have continued to wait it out and still they insist on throwing in some crappy audi system. I now finally caved and decided I have to get an HDTV RPTV and C'est La Vie.... on the speakers. But for me component space is a big issue with my set up, I have too much crap.

Anyhow, to answer your question vaguely.... Keep in mind they are projection televisions. The speakers do not take up much room there and there isn't anything else worth fitting in that space. They can't really open it up for your components because there needs to be room to project the image. At least thats my opinion (guess) theory, hypothisis.

------------------

--

Sloper ;)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
RPTV monitors are made...for the commerical marketplace. Companies like Barco make them. They are very expensive ($25,000+) as they are really designed for computers. They have very high scan rates for CAD/CAM and such.

There really hasn't been a marketplace as far as the consumer goes. Many use the Dolby Pro Logic internals and some even come eith Dolby Digital.

The RPTV marketplace is based on the sales of tens of thousands and I don't believe that that many consumers would by one.

Lee

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I totally agree with you...but I JUST HEARD TODAY from a knowledgable retailer that whether it is a set of "Dixie cup" speakers, or bigger, somewhat better speakers and more sophisticated sound system, that the manufacturer cost of these audio systems is quite minimal compared to the total cost of the unit...maybe about 3%. Manufacturers feel obligated to put "something" in there...and "upgrades" making the unit appear total quality...are an easy...well...upgrade. So maybe that softens our angst just a little. I still agree however- leave out the dixie cups! We are not gonna spend thousands for a HD video display, and not use a real decent surround sound system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.