Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 6 times the posts there.

Is this the guinea pig forum as well?

Believe me this not personal, but it's time

to realize that this is a bad idea.

Everyone will be hammering on the same thread,

response time will tank and people will be posting on top

of each other.

But most importantly, the forum will be rendered useless.

Things will calm down after the HS-10 is in wider distribution.

OR people will go elsewhere for information.

It's analogous to when the Boss gets a brainstorm

that everyone in the trenches knows won't work.

You try it for 2 weeks, it's a fiasco and then you start over.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree that a single gigantic thread for each popular pj is going to be pretty much unmanageable, but the moderators believe that this is the best solution to tame the flood of silly/redundant threads we've had the past month or so. I totally agree with the moderators that something had to be done, and I don't know if I could create a better solution than what they've proposed [short of entrance exams for new members, and that's not gonna happen :)]

I don't think they plan on taking any such action in the >5K forum, since things seem more "civilized" there. We've all made the redundant post or two, and not to sound mean, but a lot of the new members need to chill out and read existing posts before they start spawning new threads like "my pj shipped yesterday!" or "Where can I buy X for $Y?". It just seems to me that in the past few months the average quality of REAL projector discussion has gone downhill in favor of speculation and AOL-style chatter. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a little specuation or chatter, just that they've become dominant in a forum that's supposed to be about HT projectors!

--

Mike U.

·
Registered
232 Posts
the reason is this is an elitist, fascistic forum. the big spenders can say and do what they want, but over here in the low rent district it's big brother and little hitler stifling free speech and destroying the spririt of the internet.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The high end forum has more threads because this one was made new only this summer, while that one holds the digital projector threads from the last few years.

The activity here is much higher and a measure like the single threads are needed. Frankly, I think it is rather ridiclious to call Alan a fascist when he is simply trying to help. Do you honestly think he is on a power trip or something? Try being a little more positive.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please, let's not call anyone names, let alone something as

absurd as that.

And don't let this become a freedom of speech thread either.

We all know(should) the rules here.

I understand that the >5000k forum is "older" but I

hardly think the discourse is more mature or elevated.

BTW the reason I used the Bosses brainstorm analogy

is because I've done it.:(

The poll could have/should have come first.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Funny to call this the low rent district. I don't recall ever paying rent ! I have been a member here since 1999 and other than paying to use the special deals forum that is the only direct support I have given AVS.

In the past I have bought a couple of products from some of the sponsors with no direct benefit to AVS. Trends come and go. People come and go but one thing for sure the forum has been here for my enjoyment since I joined.

If we have to adjust so be it.This portion of the forum attracts the most newbies and we have to adjust ! That explains the additional moderation used in this area. The >$5000 pays the rent for this forum through sales so don't bite the hand that feeds us. Just MHO John

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
As for nonsense, silly topics.

Bring on the popcorn thread!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You also have to remember that since this forum is here to support and promote sales for AVS, there isn't going to be much tolerance for projectors they don't carry creating a big stir. I would imagine the Sony HS10 is even starting to sway those that were thinking about a higher end PJ.

I can't fault them for it since they're a commercial enterprise, but it explains the heavy moderation we've seen and the curtailing of HS10 posting. Just my theory.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the thread I started celebrating the fact that my projector shipped has turned into a useful one stop shop for info about it.

First time projector guys like me can't help but shout with glee when we receive a UPS tracking number. I was lurking back when the AE100 first shipped, it's not as bad as it was then.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
“Now Pa, you know how them young uns like to fiddle with stuff, just calm down.â€

“But Ma, it just ain’t right I tell ya. You know in the old days, It was like names in the Spanish tradition. You could tell about the lineage. You remember that 150 entry? I specially liked that 6:3; 7:2-6; 8:12,17,19;16:9-18:5;20:1-23:7 thread. Sides that I don’t think I ever seen a run long as that [150]20:1-23:7 piece of it. Nobody else could get in. Those boys was doing that filtering and Wheel modding fast and furious. You know you could tell a lot bout something looking at its name then. You could see it coming, then it hitâ€

“Well Pa, that was before them Hyper-threadin boxes you know. They think they gotta change.â€

“I know Ma, it’s just that saying something like ‘Lt 150m won't shut off ‘ or ‘Reason why JVC is delaying the SX-21.. ‘ just doesn’t seem right. They say that’s the whole thread Ma ! No depth, Ma, no depth. Ya can’t tell if it’s a new thing or an old thing. Can’t tell if it’s a little thing or a big one. Hey you member that fella did it all by post number? Now he was a good un. Could convert from post number to title, page, an post so fast-whew. Don’t know Ma, I just don’t know.â€

“Give it time Pa, just give it time. Yah, I remember that Rainman fella.. ..â€

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Hey guys, it's AVS's forum.

If you just upgraded the servers to accomodate additional traffic, then it was junked up with a huge amount of redundant post, you too would be looking for a way to make it more efficient.

If you don't like it, then pay for the next server upgrade.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
FYI, this merging of threads is being done here to reduce some of the redunancy. And it has also been done in severl other forums throughout AVS, and it will be done in other areas as the need arises.

I'm closing this thread because I think we've beat this topic to death. Remember, nothing is set in stone, we'll see how things look in a few days and then adjust things if we need to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.