AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to order my very first projector. I decided to get the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and so I ordered. The other day, a Sony VPL HS-2 review came up and all of a sudden it was the new reference projector in that segment. I put the order on hold and now I really don't know which one to choose. I HAVE seen the Sanyo "in action" so to speak (briefly), but not the Sony. Both seem to be in the same price range also. The specific site ( www.bigscreen.se ) will also review the Sanyo PLV-Z1 very soon, hopefully the review will be there tonight.

Strange there is so little talk about the new Sony HS-2 here except the HS-10? Anyway, is there anyone here that have tried both projectors and can make some statements about that?

I really want to order the projector this week so I can have it delivered before Chrismas.

Thanks for any tips,

Drem

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont think you really can go wrong with either one. I personally like sony products better than sanyo products but thats totally i.m.o. not something to base your decision on. If this is your first projector your going to have a blast with either. The reason there hasnt been much talk about the hs2 is because not very many people have one that come to this forum. The vpl-hs10 is more popular because its higher rez so has a better picture. I am also debating which to get. Do a search on this forum for "pics" and you will come up with some pics of the hs2. You cant totally base your decision on pics but it may help you alittle. jeff

·
Registered
99 Posts
The HS-2 is:

858x484, 1000 lumens, 600:1 CR, 0.6" LCDs

where the Z1 is:

964x544, 700 lumens, 800;1 CR, 0.7" LCDs

The Z1 has a lot better specs (26% more pixels, 33% more black levels) for just $100 difference. The Z1 is dimmer so if you can't control light where you will be watching it, the HS2 might be better.

I haven't heard too much talk about LCD size in this forum, but intuitively I would assume smaller LCDs produce more significant screen door (unless it's using a MLA, of course, which the HS-2 is not).

The only concern with the Z1 that I know of, is that /some/ of the units have an intermitantly noisy fan (it spins up quite loudly at 20-30 minute intervals). Rumor has it there is a firmware revision to fix the problem but I haven't yet seen anyone confirm that.

-Colin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.