AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older GeForce 7800GS based HTPC. After doing some research, it would seem that this card does H.264 decode acceleration, but for some reason, not VC-1 HA.

The rig has the following core components:

Mobo: Asus P4C800-E

CPU: P4 Northwood 2.8GHz @ 3.06GHz

RAM: 1 GB PC3500

When playing VC-1 BD rips, the CPU goes to 70-90% cpu, and the audio is choppy (video is ok). H.264 playback is fine.

Based on my research, no APG based graphics card does VC-1 HA, so am I correct in assuming that swapping mobo is my only option?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I assume you mean AGP and not APG.

I have a AGP HD2400 and it plays all kinds of HD discs without problems. ATI scores with AGP cards since they handle all HD formats with their UVD (Unified Video Decoder).

From ATI's site (for HD2400):

ATI Avivo™ HD Video and Display Platform

* Dedicated unified video decoder (UVD) for H.264/AVC and VC-1 video formats

o High definition (HD) playback of both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats

* Hardware MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4/DivX video decode acceleration

o Motion compensation and iDCT (inverse discrete cosine transform)

Check out this article . It compares Nvidia and ATI options. They are pretty similar, however at the low end, ATI scores over Nvidia (especially for VC-1). And low-end is where AGP sits right now.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Makes sense about the 7800GS coming out before the VC-1 spec being finalized.

I'll check out the HD2400, it sure would be cheaper than swapping MB, CPU and RAM!

As far as I can tell, this $45 card from newegg should fit the bill although one guy stated that he was getting slight audio stutter playing blu-ray:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102836

Still worth a shot I suppose...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.