AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why No Wifi Enabled Speaker Selectors on the Market? UPDATED WITH SOLUTION!

I see this topic covered some in a search but the topics are all a bit dated. I am curious as to why none of the major speaker selectors such as the Aton DLA series have built in wifi for control?

From everything I've read, it seems that a lot of people end up going with an Aton DLA speaker selector and then use a combination of an itach and ir cable adapters to connect via wifi and ir blast commands to the DLA. Is this still the most up to date method that people are using? It seems that Aton could introduce wifi to their DLA line, up the price by 50 bucks and people would still be ahead of the game. I understand Aton offers an RF option but that just isn't ideal for the solution I am looking for. I don't want to either carry a single remote around the house or have to buy several RF remotes.

Having said all that, here is what I'd like to do and what I have so far:

Goal: Have multiple zones (Could be from 3 to infinite) all using a single source for input and the ability to select which zone is active via Android app.

Current: I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR626 which I'm using to control 2 zones. I never have different inputs to each zone, nor do I use the zones simultaneously.

I'd like to keep the Onkyo, use the main zone for my living room and then use the 2nd zone throughout the rest of the house via a speaker selector that I can control via wifi with Android app.

Is there a better solution than an Aton DLA with an IP2IR type of device to accomplish this?

SEE BELOW FOR SOLUTION

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't control the Onkyo zones with the android app currently? Which Onkyo apps have you tried?
I can control the 2 zones that the Onkyo has capabilities for but I want more than 2 zones. I want basically one main 5.1 zone in living room and 3, 4, or 5 other zones that will be audio only.

So I will connect the 2nd zone of the Onkyo to a speaker selector of some sort that will then distribute the audio to the other zones throughout the house. The problem is that none of the speaker selectors seem to have built-in wifi so I would have to either go to my source location, where the speaker selector is, and select a button manually on the speaker selector or rig up an IP to IR blaster to send a command to the speaker selector to turn on the zone that I want.

In an ideal world, I would walk out into my garage, turn zone 2 on and select whatever audio I wanted it to play from the Onkyo app on my Android phone. Then I'd connect to the speaker selector with an app on my phone or directly to an IP with a web interface that would let me turn on the garage speakers.

It just seems like such an obvious function that I'm surprised no one has released a speaker selector with that ability.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can control the 2 zones that the Onkyo has capabilities for but I want more than 2 zones. I want basically one main 5.1 zone in living room and 3, 4, or 5 other zones that will be audio only.

So I will connect the 2nd zone of the Onkyo to a speaker selector of some sort that will then distribute the audio to the other zones throughout the house. The problem is that none of the speaker selectors seem to have built-in wifi so I would have to either go to my source location, where the speaker selector is, and select a button manually on the speaker selector or rig up an IP to IR blaster to send a command to the speaker selector to turn on the zone that I want.

In an ideal world, I would walk out into my garage, turn zone 2 on and select whatever audio I wanted it to play from the Onkyo app on my Android phone. Then I'd connect to the speaker selector with an app on my phone or directly to an IP with a web interface that would let me turn on the garage speakers.

It just seems like such an obvious function that I'm surprised no one has released a speaker selector with that ability.
It's not available mainly because they don't see enough demand. Niles used to make muting volume controls and I like those because the system may turn on, but someone who's sleeping won't be startled on power up because it requires pressing a button on the remote to get the audio to start. If more than one speaker area needs coverage and all of the VCs are in their own area, it's not as convenient, but if nobody is there, it doesn't matter. The VCs can be placed in the same junction box, but you would need to find a good place for this and it's bulky.

If you want to do the integration, Global Cache has 12V trigger modules that could be triggered over IP, but by the time you're done, you could have used a multi-zone system with keypads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not available mainly because they don't see enough demand. Niles used to make muting volume controls and I like those because the system may turn on, but someone who's sleeping won't be startled on power up because it requires pressing a button on the remote to get the audio to start. If more than one speaker area needs coverage and all of the VCs are in their own area, it's not as convenient, but if nobody is there, it doesn't matter. The VCs can be placed in the same junction box, but you would need to find a good place for this and it's bulky.

If you want to do the integration, Global Cache has 12V trigger modules that could be triggered over IP, but by the time you're done, you could have used a multi-zone system with keypads.
I've been looking for two years for this same setup that's mentioned (wifi enabled speaker selector to turn on/off by smartphone).

mp3truck -- did you get any further with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any further progress?

I've been looking for two years for this same setup that's mentioned (wifi enabled speaker selector to turn on/off by smartphone).

mp3truck -- did you get any further with this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ended up connecting an old Niles speaker selector to the zone 2 output of my receiver. I just have to walk to my equipment closet and manually select the output room I want.

It's not ideal but there are no great solutions and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a kluged setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for this type of product as well. Has anything come out in the year since this thread was made? It seems like a lot of people would want a wireless speaker switcher. I can't believe that nobody is making one. Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALAS, SOMEONE HAS DONE IT! He is using relays and a wifi interface to disable/enable zones on the speaker selector via Android or iPhone app. Make sure to read the comment section as someone chimed in with a better way to do it. I'm definitely going to be building this little gadget once I have the time. Should be exactly what I'm looking for with my Niles HDS-6 selector.

http://www.33snowflakes.com/blog/arduino-android-speaker-selector/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. It is now 14 years later, and i still can't find anything like this. Any new news? I don't want to spend many hours on a homemade solution. Let me explain exactly what my ideal setup would be:

- A single box with 4, 6, or 8 speaker controllers
- Line level inputs one set for each controller
- Line level outputs, one set for each controller
- In side, it controls on/off and volume. I would actually be OK with out the volume, just not as good.
- WiFi with an iOS app to control volume and on/off

Doesn't sound that difficult does it? Sure, the demand would be low :(

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The problem is demand is low, so the engineering effort behind it will make it super expensive. The traditional audio switch box costs a few bucks if you use nasty switches, maybe a hundred or so if you make it fully electronic with a remote control. But to add wifi support means adding a ton of software and support (there are lots of wifi configurations out there, never mind lots of network configuration. You may now need to add a screen and keypad just to handle this.) and then there's app development which can be expensive. Add it all up and you've probably turned then $100 box into a $500+ switch box. And half the buyers will want it with Ethernet too.

Then like all IoT things, there's security issues to take care of.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Not enough demand..
Need to sell 25K units to cover tooling amortization, hardware and software development, license fees, certification costs and final validation...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
ALAS, SOMEONE HAS DONE IT! He is using relays and a wifi interface to disable/enable zones on the speaker selector via Android or iPhone app. Make sure to read the comment section as someone chimed in with a better way to do it. I'm definitely going to be building this little gadget once I have the time. Should be exactly what I'm looking for with my Niles HDS-6 selector.

http://www.33snowflakes.com/blog/arduino-android-speaker-selector/
HTD MCA-66 seems to be able to satisfy your needs. See https://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-H...le-house-audio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also been looking for a solution for muti speaker control. I have 3 zones wired with home runs. I don't need different music simultaneously and I dont need whole house same music. I just like music I want where I am in the house. I presently have a marantz nr 1504 which has limitations in speaker control but can cover my main floor. For the other 2 zones I will buy a another network marantz or denon receiver with A+B speaker control. The marantz app is garbage but there is a free one called avr remote that works for android for denon and marantz that is great. From the same app you pick the receiver you want,. This is what Im doing instead of one big receiver.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
check out the dayton audio hi fly system at parts express. instead of 1 amp and speaker selector, get a WFA02 for each zone you want. 38 bucks. or the google chromecast for 35. Each of these will need an amp. there are a lot of low cost options from parts express to ebay. all things being equal, check out the dayton audio apa102 (99.00) 1 amp / zone. you can power each zone for less than 150.

lots of folks here recommend the audiosource amp100vs. you can find lots of used ones on ebay starting around 40 - 50.

dayton also makes a the WF40 which is the streamer and a a 20 wpc digital amp all in one and it's the size of a deck of cards. Those run 88 each.

you want better quality? check out sonos. pricey, but it works. basically bulletproof. Denon HEOS is equivalent.

·
Registered
80 Posts
HTD MCA-66 seems to be able to satisfy your needs. See https://www.htd.com/Products/Whole-H...le-house-audio.
Add me to the list of people looking for a wifi speaker selector solution that was not Control 4 or Savant to the tune of $5000 between the main unit, amp, and remotes through a local AV company. I just could not choke down how much the local companies wantedfor labor to install some speakers (11.2.4 new projector-based HT plus multiple other rooms in the house with ceiling speakers as well as a great room with a regular LCD TV and 5.1) and get the electronics up and running. I have always done my own audio video setups and thought this new build with pre-wire would be too much for me due to the numerous rooms and electronic components. After getting the bids :eek: , I decided to come to my favorite place (AVSForum) and push my comfort zone a little with the goal of getting everything set up myself.

All that to say, with four additional audio zones beyond the HT (powered by a Denon AVR) and the family room TV set up (powered by an Onkyo AVR), the main missing piece was a wifi enabled speaker selector.

Thank you to toddwz as that HTD MCA-66 set up is exactly what I am looking for. Their package with separate 120 watt amp allows me to deal with the four current extra zones and the ability to add two more later (possible garage and backyard).

Not sure if the price is more than what some people may want to spend, but I think with the ease of the amp, controller, and app (instead of anything cobbled together), it looks to be worth it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Bump - anyone try that MCA-66?
I tried MC-66 (controller only) with an external Dayton amplifier. It works perfectly for me.

Thank you to toddwz as that HTD MCA-66 set up is exactly what I am looking for. Their package with separate 120 watt amp allows me to deal with the four current extra zones and the ability to add two more later (possible garage and backyard).

Not sure if the price is more than what some people may want to spend, but I think with the ease of the amp, controller, and app (instead of anything cobbled together), it looks to be worth it.
Glad to help.

Honestly speaking, HTD is not expensive compared with Monoprice/Dayton, and much cheaper than Sonos/Russound. Plus it can be operated through a cellphone. Considering a phone can be had for around $30, and the HTD keypad is around $50. :eek: For me HTD is the only and most affordable option. :) Besides, their speakers also have fans on this forum.

Another interesting thread I came across is https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...s/2980852-ultimate-budget-11ch-atmos-amp.html. Very inexpensive amp.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i have several WiFi controlled speaker/amp selectors in use.
I used "normal" switches/selectors as base since my case building, drilling etc. skills are nearly not existent. But my electrical engineering/programming skills are quite better though.
so I added ESP8266s as "WiFi controller" to them. Some have a HTTP interface, others are running "let's control it" as "OS" for direct FHEM access, you can do whatever you want/need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts