AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hai,

I (and i guess others) are running out of hdmi inputs on our scalers. Now you can add a switch before it and add more that way but that way you will loose your settings per input/device. Ive talked and send a few ideas before to dvdo how they could extend/solve this but didn't get any feedback (using rs232 between their scalers and switches). But now i am wondering if this could not be solved using the information each hdmi device sends when attached a chain. This information is for example used to send specs on the image send but also sends information as the name of the device.

One good one to use is 'OSD NAME' that each device sends out. A scaler could use this to define/detect a new profile. If a switch is 'dump' it should just send this information to the scaler.

This would mean that you can attach as many devices as you want using switches but keep the profiles per device for say D65 or other settings.

Is there a mistake in this idea ? if not why is this not done sounds like a good way to allow us to add more devices without them adding more and more hdmi ports.

Daniel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Something like that has been proposed in the Radiance XD thread (cf here ).

Such a solution would allow a light version of the Radiance XD with only one HDMI input. Switch between sources would be done before the video processor in an AV receiver (or an HDMI switch).

This way we have :

- only one link between the AV receiver and the video processor,

- ony one link between sources and AV receiver,

- HDMI 1.3 sound processed by the AV receiver,

- HDMI video signal processed by the video processor,

- video processor profiles selection based on the identification of the sources

A question is :

- It is possible to identify the source or will the video processor can only identify the AV receiver ?

Richard.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hai,

Well i guess the same thing as before the question is asked but nobody really reacts to it. So either nobody is running out of hdmi inputs or don't think something like this makes sense or is possible. Would be nice to find out i will be visiting ISE in amsteram today and ask a few brands if its possible and why its not done.

Daniel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts