AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on a search for a great AVR in the $300-400 range but at the end of the day it looks like moving up a bit may be a better long term decision? After a lot of thought it looks like maybe the 1120 is the unit I should be focusing on, but maybe I am missing something in my research that one of you can highlight for me?

Here are what I am looking to get in order:

1. HDMI pass thru in standby mode, so that my young son is not continually driving the receiver and speakers.

2. Two zones to allow powering speakers outside while others are watching something inside.

3. Enough power to fill our 23 x 13 room with enough sound [have yet to select the surround speakers by will maintain my Fried A3/a as my fronts] with both movies AND music.

4. Ability to either have built in or add on HD Radio

5. Ability to easily hook up a camcorder or other storage device such to the receiver [component or USB]

6. Ability to network or some other method of music to the receiver vs. CDs

7. Pre outs to allow more power if ever needed [maybe never?]

I have not listed 3D, as we bought a Vizio 551VXT about 9 months ago and I do not see swapping out for a different LCD anytime soon.

I have not listed video upconversion as I keep reading that for the most part the LCD will do just as good a job? One thing that would be GREAT is if a AVR could automatically, on its own manage to manipulate 480SD to 1080 without stretch/ zoom/ etc. Maybe that is not possible or outside this price range.

I am moving from a 2 channel Luxman, so I am really not up to speed on what to expect in sound quality, but would hate to hear a degradation.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
It had everything I was looking for, bought it, love it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd9fy
Thanks Brad.

This is getting to be a toss up, as the Denon 3310 is also very appealing since it is also a bit lower in price from what I can see
You can't go wrong with either one...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix
Out of those definitely the denon.

Way more configuration and superior tuning with Audyssey.
That's not true. The AUTO-calibration is more robust on the Denon, but Pioneer's Advanced MCACC is much more "tweakable" than Audessey after the initial calibration.

You can get "superior" results with either one if you know what you're doing.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Just be aware that NewEgg is not an authorized dealer for either product, so no warranty (afaik).

I had the 3808 and the 1120. Sound wise, I preferred the 3808 (which died on me) over the 1120, but energy usage in standby I prefer the 1120 over the 3808 (.4 watts vs around 40 watts).

The 3810 is a step down from the 3808, it simply is not as good, but by how much I do not know.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you get a new receiver from Newegg.com, and they are not an authorized dealer, just consider a 2nd party warranty like SquareTrade. Once the unit arrives from Newegg, and it is not DOA and checks out OK (the limit of Newegg's return policy), get the 2nd party warranty and you are good to go.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The other option is to get the NewEgg price and then call J&R and ask them to price match it. This way you get the good deal and the warranty. All it should take it 5 minutes on the phone to get the receiver you want, for the price you want with the coverage you want.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzd9fy /forum/post/0

Thanks Brad.

This is getting to be a toss up, as the Denon 3310 is also very appealing since it is also a bit lower in price from what I can see

Where have you been able to find the 3310? That's the networked one, right? Is that one that will be upgraded to support airplay?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm also looking for a receiver in the same range. Where did you find the 3310? I don't need 3D so one thing that was turn off on the Pioneer is that while it does have some internet functionality, it doesn't stream MP3s etc. and is not DLNA compliant. I'll do another listen over at Best Buy/Magnolia, but last time I was there, I could have sworn the Yamaha sounded better (I didn't try out a Denon). The sound on the Pioneer just seemed muddy. This was on an Elite, and I can't remember if it was a VSX-31 or 32 (1020 or 1120) which is important, since the power input rating on the 31/1020 is really crappy this year, and they're using a different DAC than the 1120/32 (which also weigh 10 lbs more). I'll probably give it another go this weekend since regardless of other features, sound quality is most important. Internet Radio, Streaming, other bells and whistles I can add with an external device, sound quality is bit harder (unless I buy an external amp probably costing more than the AVR itself).

The 1120 is quite weighty (28 or 29 lbs I think) vs. the competition which is a plus.

If you don't need 3D, also check out the Onkyo RC180 from Onecall. In the same price-range as the Pioneer, it's a slightly stripped down TX-NR807, but despite the marketing differences has identical weight (38lbs or so). Appears to have better network connectivity than the 1120 (although no Marvell chip).

Also Pioneer only offers a 1 year warranty on the 1120, the Onkyo and Denon are 2 years I believe. Maybe not a big deal, but when comparing take that into account and decide what it's worth.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by intence
I'll do another listen over at Best Buy/Magnolia, but last time I was there, I could have sworn the Yamaha sounded better (I didn't try out a Denon). The sound on the Pioneer just seemed muddy.
I doubt they do anything more than just plug them in, as far as setup, so you'd probably have to keep that in mind when auditioning at a store. Its also quite easy in the Pioneer (and I'm sure others) to accidentally press a button on the remote, and make it sound like turd.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte
I doubt they do anything more than just plug them in, as far as setup, so you'd probably have to keep that in mind when auditioning at a store. Its also quite easy in the Pioneer (and I'm sure others) to accidentally press a button on the remote, and make it sound like turd.
I was just about to write the same thing. Whenever I do testing at Magnolia, I always ask them to bring me the calibration mic's for each set. 9 times out of 10, the calibration is completely jacked up when you first walk through the door...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Since i'm mostly interested in 2-ch music, I ask for music, and turn everything off (DIRECT Mode). Make sure there's no sub, no crossover settings, etc. I just want to test the sound quality coming out of the receiver for clarity, depth, etc.

Again, the lower end Pioneers are using the Wolfson DACs vs. the Burr Browns in the 1120, and I can't remember which Pioneer I tested (since they were the equivalent Elite models). Also everything the below the 1120 is incredibly power starved, so obviously that would be an issue as well.

A similar test at another retailer with Onkyo vs. the Yamaha made the two sound very similar was configured the same way. Initially the Onkyo 1008 sounded worse than the Yamaha, but the speakers were crossed over pretty high, once both were set up similarly they sounded similar, but the 50lb Onkyo could obviously go louder.

I'll compare the Pio vs. Yamaha again since the difference was enough that either the Wolfson DAC is very different, or something was set up incorrectly. I was about to use the SPL app on my phone to compare them at similar volume levels, might try that today.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- i find it HIGHLY unlikely that you could pick out "the dac" between any of the units...

- "incredibly power starved" is a bit of an overstatement...

- even in "direct", you are hearing the speakers/room...

- the spl apps for the iphones are bordering on worthless for level matching...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you are saying the 180/ 807 is a superior unit? 3D is not a concern for me as you can see from the original list.

The 3310 is out there, I was looking at dakmart....

But I have almost convinced myself to go with the 1120....?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts